Deus Ex – Mankind Divided Delayed Until August

is it easier to get away with this look in summer?

Everything looked rosy when I traveled to Montreal to take a look at Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] earlier this year. The areas I played improved on Human Revolution in every way that matters and Adam Jensen controlled better than ever. All was well and I was looking forward to playing the game in February, right around my birthday. Moments ago, word arrived of a six month delay – the game will now be coming out on August 23rd.

Eidos Montreal studio head David Anfossi, quoted in a statement on the Deus Ex website, says teh delay will help the game to exceed expectations:

“As you may have already seen by reading and watching the many previews for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, our aim is for it to be a worthy successor to Human Revolution, and to improve upon that game in every way possible. I know that expectations are extremely high, and we not only want to meet those expectations, but exceed them. We’re confident and proud of the game so far. However, as we are now playing through the game in full we can see that it will require more time in post-production for tuning, iterations, and refinement to meet our high standards. In order to achieve this, we need to move the release of the game to August 23rd, 2016.”

It’s entirely possible that those previews, mine included, were based on the only good areas in the game, but that’s very unlikely. Given the quality of what I’ve already seen, I’m optimistic that this is the right decision – if the entire game can be as, or more, polished and well-crafted as what I’ve already seen, it’ll be a belter. I say we just give up on release dates until a couple of weeks before launch. That way there’d be fun surprises around every corner.

February was already looking like a busy month, based on Deus Ex, XCOM 2 and Mirror’s Edge alone. Now there’ll just be XCOM of those three, as Mirror’s Edge already slipped to May.

1. Wowbagger says:

Just in time for my birthday, I’d rather have a game put back then released in shoddy condition.

• liquidsoap89 says:

No fair! It was originally around MY birthday!

Oh, well. As long as XCOM 2 doesn’t get delayed I’ll still have the best birthday gift a person could hope to get.

• JackMultiple says:

No worry. When the date slips again… THEN it’ll be your birthday.

2. Phantasma says:

Thank God!
    My backlog is still enormous, i haven’t even bought Fallout 4 yet, Elite: Dangerous still eats way too much of my time and i’m just now remembering i didn’t even finish Human Revolution for some reason.
    In this day and age delays are more of a blessing than a reason to be sad.

• Llewyn says:

Indeed. Aside from the impact on people’s livelihoods I’d be perfectly happy to have a three year moratorium on new game releases.

3. ryryryan says:

Thats a considerably big delay seeing as it was only a few months to go… surely they would have known some time ago.

Still, I prefer the a polished game.

4. gpown says:

FOUR
    DAYS
    EARLY!

• KevinLew says:

Now I’m starting to wonder if that’s the real reason why they ditched that divisive preorder campaign: They knew the game was going to get delayed.

5. Dorga says:

Oh bummer! We should have all pre ordered it, now instead of getting it 4 days early, we’ll have it 6 months late.

6. Der Zeitgeist says:

Thank god this preorder scheme was canceled. Otherwise, we would have had another Arkham Knight in February.

7. msing says:

Fine by me.. Hopefully enough time to get a rig able to run this in 4k.
    Probably not, but a man can dream.

• caff says:

Well, you might be right. Nvidia’s Pascal and AMD’s equivalent might be out by then.

8. Banks says:

Well, at least now I don’t have to choose between this and XCOM2.

If It’s for improving the game I’m ok with this delay but I’m afraid that after what happened in Paris, they are also delaying It to change the plot in order to avoid talking about terrorism, which would be a shame.

9. Thurgret says:

But what about all the augmented preorders?

• caff says:

Clearly more people purchased the “Augmented Delayed By 6 Months and maybe a bit longer as we’ve just seen what happened with the re-release of Batman” Special Edition.

10. YogSo says:

Unlikely?

“Hey, boss, the press folks are here. We have these set of areas of the game that are roughly 95% complete, and these others that are still at anything between 50-80% of completion. Which ones should we show them?”

11. The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m so glad a game I’m looking forward to is being given more time.
    Especially since almost every game this year got the memo to move their launch to after Christmas.

12. moms says:

Adam Smith: “I was looking forward to playing the game in February, right around my birthday.”

Me too.
    Oh well.. wanna go out and get drunk, instead?

13. Suits says:

6 MONTHS?! Damn, now it’s just Dark Souls 3 then

Thulsa Hex says:

Since Paris has been rumoured to be a location in the game, there’s some speculation that recent events may have affected the release schedule. Unsurprising, if so.

• caff says:

No that’s bollocks. It’s because games are always late.

• Sulpher says:

Why speculate? Just the facts, please.

Thulsa Hex says:

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

• Sulpher says:

Sorry, I may have been a bit terse. A developer adjusting the narrative to sidestep a complicated issue makes sense, but we’ll have to wait for the dev debriefings after release. Interesting topic to watch out for though.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, it’s just the combination of both comments felt a tad unnecessarily negative, but no worries. Anyway, yeah I had seen Rich Stanton posit the idea on Twitter so just thought I’d mention it. I don’t see the harm in speculation in this context, to be fair. It’s just something to chat about, which is kind of the point of comment sections.

P.S. Caff, how about instead of exclaiming “that’s bollocks” at someone you don’t know try something more along the lines of, “I doubt that’s the case,” or, “I’m not sure I agree.” We’re all here for the same general reasons and interests.

15. Shazbut says:

Within a week?

16. epeternally says:

Much better this than pulling a Fallout 4 and releasing it unfinished. A delay actually raises my interest in the game. I’m not sure why I hadn’t really gotten on the hype train so far with Deus Ex as my favorite game of all time, just everything they’ve shown so far has struck me as resoundingly meh.

17. MiddleIndex says:

that’s what we get for not preordering with out question

18. icarussc says:

I …
    I never asked …
    I mean, this isn’t really what I would have chosen if the schedule had been fully under my personal control.

19. Psychomorph says:

Worst news ever. I want this game now.

20. Guy Montag says:

It’s obvious. They regret saying there wouldn’t be as unique and wonderful a selection of ceilings, this go around, and are taking the extra time to rectify that.

21. michelangelo says:

Delay of release is NEVER bad news for me. Finished and proudly signed by authors > unfinished, yet money making.