Fallout 4 Mod Adds Full Script Lines To Dialogue Choices

You know that bit in RPG conversations? You know, that bit where it presents you with brief dialogue options, and you select one which seems innocuous then discover that the full response is a little more complicated? You know, where you click “Okay” and your character says “Okay, I’ll do it, even if you are a pointy-eared freak GOD I hate elves and would murder your face clean off but I guess this is a quest so I’ll settle for skinning your lousy elfmoose – which I will totally do when you turn away, btw”?

If so, you may be glad to hear that someone’s made a mod for Fallout 4 [official site] replacing its one-word dialogue options with the full line you’ll actually say.

This here mod is based on one made in Russian by ‘shadwar’, switched to English by ‘Cirosan’. It shows you full script lines instead of prompts. It comes in two flavours, one displaying options as a straight numbered list for mousers and keyboarders (you can use number keys to chat!), and one with that rosette for controllerers.

However, do bear in mind that those fiddly one-word prompts can also contain hints about how the line will be delivered, so you’ll miss out on that. You might be surprised by your character sarcastically sneering e.g. “Excuse me, princess.” That’s a reference to a video games thing, you know. I wouldn’t be surprised if a future version added those hints back in.

1. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

It’d be neat if the mod could show both the original information, and the full text version.

By the way, is it still a reference to a video game, when the line itself is from a tv-series that is based on a video game?

• Alice O'Connor says:

As stated, it’s a reference to “a video games thing.” This comedy gold is found with a wide pan.

• Hawks says:

I think this was done in a blanketed general way to show the dialog lines. You would (probably) need the GECK tools and would have to go in and edit each line of text to show “Sarcastic” etc.

• LionsPhil says:

I would hope that even Bethesda’s engine could handle programmatically building a piece of text from two other pieces of text.

2. gbrading says:

This is genuinely excellent; I think it needs to say what flavour option it is next to it in square brackets though. Basically all the options always boil down to 1. Question? 2. Sarcastic/neutral 3. Positive 3. Negative. I find myself trying to exhaust Question? options at all times before picking another option, because sometimes it leads to extra dialogue.

3. leeder krenon says:

Woah Bob Nanna is in Fallout

4. Bull0 says:

It’s a good idea if you’re particularly precious about this, but personally I wouldn’t be able to stand reading the line and then waiting while the VO actor says the line. I think the VO is fairly good in this, too. This doesn’t fix the basic problem with the dialogue system in Fallout 4, which is that every conversation seems to only have “Yes”, “No”, “Maybe” (which is always just yes with some exposition) and “Metal Gear?!” options every time.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I think you missed the “Nanomachines, son.” option.

• waltC says:

Yes, I love the paraphrasing in W3 where very rarely does Geralt read back the selected answer word for word. It’s always fun to see how he phrases it. Great monotony breaker, imo. Keeps it interesting!

• Nixitur says:

If only it actually had the “No” option more frequently. More often than not, you have “Yes”, “Emphatic yes”, “Sarcastic yes” and “Maybe later”.
      I understand that they don’t want to lock out quests based on your first reaction when talking to the quest giver, but it really limits the character you can actually play.

5. Junkenstein says:

Does it still have the colours indicating that it’s a charisma check?

distantlurker says:

“(you can use number keys to chat!)”

You can already use number keys to chat ma’am. 1 is top, 2 is left, 3 right and 4 bottom.

7. C0llic says:

Yes, no, maybe. I don’t know, can you repeat the question?

8. malkav11 says:

Otherwise known as the “Mass Effect” dialogue system. Which can go die in a fire, thankyouverymuch. Both because of the dialogue options which go on to be something entirely different than what you were expecting to be said, and because half the fun is reading the options you -don’t- select.

• Durkonkell says:

My favourite example of this was when I accidentally assaulted a journalist when I actually just wanted to tell her to shut up.

I think I was almost as horrified as Admiral Hackett…

• Urthman says:

Yes, this! Imagine playing Planescape: Torment and missing out on all the great dialogue options that you’re character thinks about saying before you decide what to say.

• kaisergav says:

True, my character is never going to be “sarcastic” by default to someone I’ve just met – but some of the dialogue options in New Vegas were witty and/or sufficiently inappropriate that I couldn’t help choosing them, so I could be missing out on some great lines and not knowing it.

I don’t like how you have practically no control over (or ability to predict) the tone of your response. In a quest where you’re asked to look for someone, the character I’d like to rp would probably respond cautiously “I’ll have a look and see what I can do.” but in the game selecting “yes” results in my character enthusiastically giving my solemn word that I’ll find him :|
      Similarly, I can’t tell the scientist in Diamond City that I’ve actually got some serious business and so don’t really have time to look for bloatflies right now, without being totally rude about it…

I think it’s a shame – NV was my favourite game that allowed me to develop my idea of a hero who could be reserved, witty, clever or dark when I felt it was appropriate, but that whole aspect is reduced now. Almost all role-playing options/actual dialogue are condensed into the “more info” button.
      It’s still a really good game, and the city area is definitely the best use of 3d space that they’ve crafted yet. It’s just not what I’m really hoping for in games like this.

9. TillEulenspiegel says:

that bit in RPG conversations

You mean BioWare games, mostly. It’s hardly a genre-wide misfeature.

• JarinArenos says:

I think by far the worst example of the mechanic is Alpha Protocol, which doesn’t even give hints of what you’re going to say, just “attitude”, which sometimes leads to some REALLY unexpected responses.

• Ringwraith says:

Actually, I’d say Alpha Protocol was one of the best uses of it as 90% of the time the options were always Professional/Suave/Aggressive. Sometimes you’d get a fourth more context-sensitive option. Which could including making faces meet bars.

You were mostly playing people to get your desired positive/negative reaction though, and because it was timed so conversations would flow the tone-selecting aspect really worked.

• Morph says:

In Alpha Protocol I once opted to intimidate a man and it decided I meant I wanted to ram his head into a bar and smash a bottle over it. It was a hilarious surprise.

• Sin Vega says:

Yeah but its interpretation of those attitudes could vary (and it seemed to confuse “suave” with “cringe-inducing twat” in particular), and it sometimes did an annoying thing where you’d choose an initial response which would be fine, but it’d lead to a follow up you had no choice about where your character suddenly acted like a dick for no reason.

I still rate the game highly though. Its conversation system was doing a lot more than most.

• Ringwraith says:

If you ever heard them describe it as the ‘three JBs, Jason Bourne, James Bond, Jack Bauer’, it makes a bit more sense.

• gwathdring says:

I really liked it. I didn’t mind being surprised. The reality is, as with “branching narratives”, no game can actually offer you a reasonable amount of control. The options than are to give you the illusion of a reasonable amount of control or help you ease comfortably yet explicitly into the restrictions. I think Alpha Protocol did an excellent job being transparent about what conversations were–for one thing, they don’t represent Who You Are As A Person nearly so much as in most similar games. Part of the conceit is that you’re a spy trying to manipulate people and you get mechanical advantages no matter which direction you go, just different ones.

Mass Effect can’t seem to make up it’s mind what it wants you, the player, to think Mass Effect is. They made a very good game; they clearly knew what Mass Effect was and what its limitations were. But they were quite inconsistent in terms of how they communicated that to the player and how they mixed illusion of in-world control with encouragement of out-of-world puppeteering.

• gwathdring says:

Sure, maybe you didn’t want to slam the guy’s head into the table … but that’s just flavor text. You wanted to get the information out of him through blunt coercion–that’s what the character tries to do. There are instances where your actions have irrevocable consequences but those consequences come either from longer chains of decision making or more explicit do-this/don’t-do-this choices.

10. acheron says:

“You know, that bit where it presents you with brief dialogue options, and you select one which seems innocuous then discover that the full response is a little more complicated?”

That bit was really effective in “Emily is Away”, to pick the game where I most recently encountered it.

11. RedViv says:

Only through news on this, not having access to the PC version yet, have I learned how Bethesda in their infinite wisdom decided to lay out the controls for the dialogue in the PC version.
    Thank you for the good laughs, Beth.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

That’s all modders dude, the layout on PC was the same as on the consoles.

12. KevinLew says:

A serious question here: Why was this not the default? Seriously, why not just show the full line of dialogue and just use a different color to show when something is a Charisma check?

For that matter, why even use the Rosette wheel for dialogue choices, as opposed to the standard text box menu that’s in hundreds of RPGs? Are gamers now so lazy or illiterate that “STOP WRITING WORDS” has become the design point? If so, then how about for your next game, Bethesda shouldn’t use any words at all, and conversation choices are selected by emojis:
    1) :-/ ???
    2) :-)
    3) :-(

• Zekiel says:

Actually there is some more sensible thinking behind this – which is that if you write out exactly what the protagonist will say, then waiting while they actually deliver the line can get tedious. Essentially the surprise of what the voice actor actually says (as well as how s/he says it) can actually be a good thing (as well as a bad thing for the obvious reasons).

Something similar happens in games like Pillars of Eternity, where when dialogue is voiced it is hard to resist reading ahead in the text and then either waiting for the voice actor to finish, or skipping ahead mid-voiced line.

• shadow9d9 says:

Not everyone cares or wants to listen to voices in games. It isn’t our fault that they blew an insane amount of money on it.

• Hedgeclipper says:

The beatings will continue until you start having fun.

• Michael Fogg says:

Yeah, that’s why I plan to actually test the new system before joining any rpg-codexian pitchfork mobs. Perhaps it works in the context of F4.

• badmothergamer says:

I hated this when I first started playing but now I’ve gotten used to it. There were often times in the Mass Effect games where the resulting lines were not what I wanted but it has only happened once so far in FO4.

I also find myself actually listening to the dialogue now, even with subtitles on, instead of just reading the response and immediately clicking to avoid having to listen to it. Coupled with the “live” conversations so the game doesn’t auto-pause anymore have made dialogue much more enjoyable than FO3/NV.

I’m still going to give this mod a shot though just to see how it feels.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This is a decent point, however the whole thing should be changed a little with icon hints or something, that way even the sarcastic line could be better explained ahead and you’d know it’s the one since it has a certain symbol.

If done correctly i don’t see anything particularly harmful about this “semplified” dialogue system. I mean, i don’t mind being surprised and i’m still roleplaying if i have the means to know what i’m doing.

Overall i still prefer the old system, and i’d be extremely happy with the full voice acting thing if only it didn’t give me the stinging sensation that many possible outcomes have been axed due to time/work constraints.

Then again it all goes to shit should you happen to hate your voice actor, but at least this part was covered properly.

• malkav11 says:

So don’t waste money on voice acting, then. I sure won’t complain.

• Urthman says:

Because gamers don’t want to have to read all that text.

• draglikepull says:

Probably because the current approach makes the screen less cluttered and makes it quicker to read through the available options. In a game that’s already incredibly lengthy, simple time-savers like that can add up. I’m not really sure how you could choose the “wrong” option in F4 anyway, since the four options are almost always mapped to the same responses:

1. Ask for more detail.
      2. Joke/sarcasm.
      3. Positive response.
      4. Negative response.

Occasionally #2 is replaced by a negotiation/charisma check. You don’t even really need to read the little bits of text to know at least roughly what your character will say.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I welcome this mod eagerly.
        I guess I don’t have the problem many people in comments seem to have with having to READ all the WORDS before having to hear them, partly because… the game seems really light on wordss so far. I’ve played about 16 hours and the longest conversation I ve had was with paladin Dense, and even that was kinda brief? With most people I just shoot a few lines back and forth and that’s it. I don’t imagine that’ll exactly ruin my eyesight.

• LionsPhil says:

STOP WRITING WORDS

Well, y’know, this is Bethesda’s writing we’re talking about…

• Nixitur says:

I can’t wait for the “Man in Business Suit Levitating” response.

13. Moonracer says:

I’m waiting for the mod that replaces all of the text descriptions (and hopefully all the player voice acting) with Gary dialogue from FO3.

14. All is Well says:

Another thing that modders have now fixed (or at least I think they have, as I haven’t tried it just yet) is the stupid decision to make certain clothes take up all armor slots and some take up none, which means that dresses and shorts prevent you from wearing leg armor, but for some reason leather pants don’t. link to nexusmods.com?

• badmothergamer says:

This is a fantastic mod. There are clipping issues so some outfits simply don’t work but I’m loving my current look of “Kellogg’s Outfit” and combat armor.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well now, that’s probably slightly overpowered!

Still, i can remember some outfits that didn’t really have so many huge bonuses, and for them that mod is a boon.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That isn’t a fix, it’s a hack. You don’t think they deliberately chose which clothing was meant as armour and which as an outfit?

• All is Well says:

But I do – which is why I referred to it as a ‘decision’. I don’t really understand your point – you seem to be saying that I should have worded my comment differently by invoking a technical distinction between “fix” and “hack”, but that isn’t relevant to what I tried to say. Because I’m not really using “fix” in the sense of a specific type of change to a computer program. This can be illustrated by the fact that I could have said “This hack fixes the stupid decision to…” without losing any of the intended meaning.

15. Turkey says:

Bethesda’s feature creeps are so weird. Their process seems to be getting a box full of random crap from other popular games and just cramming it in there. It doesn’t matter if it they can’t quite get it right or if it doesn’t fit with what they’ve been doing in their previous games.

16. caff says:

I actually hate this.

I think Bethesda did the right thing with the dialogue options. Yes, you can shoot me down, but listen to my reasoning.

I’m a fast reader, and I’ve noticed that in all the RPG/adventures I’ve played recently, I’ve been clicking through the voice acting once I’ve chosen a line of dialogue. Why listen to something I’ve just read?

I’ve been much more engaged with the main storyline in Fallout 4 as a result than any other game I’ve played recently. It’s put me more in the frame of mind of the protagonist.

• McCool says:

“I think Bethesda did the right thing with the dialogue options.”

You are Todd Howard and I claim my £5.

The dialogue system is undefensible because it led to the AWFUL situation where, because most dialogue you are not given a choice over (you have to ask certain questions, you can only say hello in one way, the only agency you ever have is to be “sarcastic” every now and again), the inflection in the voice actor’s performance means you have zero control of what kind of person you are playing.

Honestly, they handled this aspect so badly, you actually have MORE agency over “what Geralt I’m playing” than the character you supposedly create in this game.

Understand that you are one of the lucky ones whose ideal way to play the game is exactly the same as Todd Howard’s, but for the rest of us the system is deeply disempowering and often frustrating or unintentionally hilarious. It absolutely stinks.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I can also seeing it making modders’ lives a hell of a lot more difficult. It’s always been immersion-breaking when Bethesda mods cause a sudden switch from voiced to unvoiced dialogue, but at least in the past it was mostly avoidable (by creating new NPCs instead of repurposing vanilla ones). However, with a voiced protagonist, there is no practical solution to the problem. Makes me glad I stopped modding after Skyrim.

• caff says:

I concede – I’m playing it in goody-two-shoes style. I must admit that I hadn’t thought that the options were so limiting. That makes sense and I guess for those playing a specific way, having more detail would help define the choices more clearly.

• caff says:

However – I stand by original comment that shorter options make me listen to the actual spoken dialogue more.

17. Stevostin says:

This is half great. I also nead my voice saying to be removed. The worst thing so far about F4 is how NOW YOU TALK. Can I please imagine to be who I want rather than you forcing it on me ??

18. NephilimNexus says:

As always, the mod community is working hard to finish making Bethesda’s game for them.

19. gwathdring says:

Some games work really well with voiced protagonist. I think Mass Effect did a great job with this. I … have no interest in playing something more like Fallout 3 with protagonist VO. :\

20. Siimon says:

to*

21. video-games says:

A lovely game, a next generation of open-world gaming
    developed by Bethesda Game Studios under the direction of Todd Howard.
    Fallout 4 is the follow up to the 2008 ‘Game of the Year’ Fallout 3