Just Cause 3 Trailer Shows High-Res 4K Explosions

Oh aye, you enjoy your pottering around a nuclear wasteland, if that’s what you want. You know what’s cool? The fiery immediate consequences of giant explosions. You know what’s not cool? The grim long-term consequences of giant explosions. So you enjoy your fortnight in Fallout 4, just be ready to cause a billion cool-as-heck explosions yourself on December 1st when Just Cause 3 [official site] launches. A new trailer exists purely to show big explosions in 2160p resolution (or 4K, if you favour that misleading term). “Hey, we have explosions,” it’s here to remind you. “Look at them in high-resolution video. Aren’t explosions nice?”

Is 4K resolution still novel enough to be the core idea of a trailer? I suppose so. YouTube is perhaps not the ideal way to view high-res video intended to be cooed and ahhed over, but hey, it beats the usual 720p and 1080p trailers. Observe:

What’s your favourite bit? I like it when the stuff explodes. Though I do also want to ride those trains purely as a sightseer, hopping off every now and then to drift alongside or dangle behind on my grappling hook. Honestly, at a certain point in Just Cause 2 I stopped even exploding anything and settled into happy drifting and sightseeing.

December 1st it is.

Harlander says:

Just Cause 2, as I recall, had particularly satisfying explosions. They looked good.

• Kollega says:

I still dip into Just Cause 2 every now and then, and trust me – the explosions there, though good for its time, look almost spartan compared to what’s on display here. JC3, from the looks of it, really nails the “Hollywood-style fireballs” portrayal of explosions.

Harlander says:

Mm.

I was trying to imply a “… so the JC3 ‘splosions will be even more delicious”, but kinda.. failed

• Kollega says:

Yeah, I didn’t really see that implication in your post =/ But hey, explosions in JC3 are cool either way! So all is well.

2. geisler says:

So it’s just a really expensive physics game?

• Kollega says:

I’m a big fan of Just Cause series, and from my experience, it’s more of a make-your-own-action-movie toolkit. JC2 even has an integrated recording tool on teh consolez.

• caff says:

I’m actually ok with the idea of immensely stupid physics games.

3. oceanclub says:

Number 2 was so much fun; I’ll definitely be picking this up at some point. I just loved how you could fluidly chain stunts together (shoot cannister,grapple it, shoot into air, unfurl parachute, hijack helicopter, blow up radar, etc, etc)

P.

4. Kollega says:

I have a question: who else is waiting for Just Cause 3 so that they can go sightseeing around Medici as much as so that they can blow everything up? I know I’m not buying the game just for the explosions.

• Llewyn says:

Not waiting for as such, in that I won’t pick it up until I have more time on my hands. But yes, that will be a key thing for me – IMO JC2 is the best of walking simulators (provided you’re willing to extend that beyond walking), with added explosions.

• Kollega says:

I think we need to broaden the definition to “travel simulators”. Because that’s what a big part of Just Cause 3 is – whether you’re doing a road trip in a grand tourer, flying in a wingsuit metres above the perilous ground, hanging off a fast-moving train, or sailing from one island to another in a luxury boat.

• Llewyn says:

Very much so. When I first played it (PS3 version shortly after release) the spawning at bases only annoyed me but over time I’ve come to appreciate travelling to my destinations or meandering back from them more than whatever my objective was. Whether it’s flying a helicopter low over the jungle with the sun rising through the mists, riding a quad bike through snowfields in a thunderstorm or skimming over the shallow water in a speedboat, JC2 is still a beautiful* place to spend time.

*Yes, it has some specific LOD texturing issues and cardboard trees, but I can live without perfection.

5. PopeRatzo says:

God, I hope this will run on my i5-750 and GTX 960.

6. liquidsoap89 says:

I never realized this, but 4K trailers mean I can actually utilise all 1440 of my P’s! Huzzah!