Forges Of Creation: Large Endless Legend Update Today

Perhaps Amplitude’s award-winning strategy game really is endless. A large free update for Endless Legend [official site] is due to land sometime today and there will be two cash-money chunks of DLC arriving alongside. The free stuff comes under the heading Forges of Creation and brings AI improvements, new modding tools, including compatibility with free map editor Tiled and the ability to reskin 3D units. There will also be Steam Workshop integration. The two purchasable packs contain new music, items and minor faction quests. More details below.

Even though Workshop integration might actually encourage me to try out some mods, the AI upgrade could be the most important thing in the free update.

“…the AI team has worked a lot on improving the AI of Endless Legend. Most of all, they built better tools to understand what was going on with the AI decisions. This allowed us to fix lots of problems and this is a lesson we will keep for our future projects.”

Improvements to AI in 4X games are always welcome because even the best show their digital hand far too often once you’ve learned their tells. Before I mangle that Poker metaphor any more horribly, let’s move on to the paid DLC:

“We are also going to release a content pack containing a collection of 20 quests related to Minor Factions (The Lost Tales, 1.99€), and another pack featuring 7 new musical tracks composed by our one and only FlyByNo, with related new items, such as the ‘Harp of Noby Fly’ (Echoes of Auriga, 2.99€).”

Those will be available today. There’s also news about the punishingly difficult yet tremendous Dungeon of the Endless [official site].

“…we are also going to release a humongous big free update due November 24th, the “Organic Matters” update (wonder who comes with those names anyway…), featuring lots of content conceptualized by you in Forum Creation Competitions and the GAMES2GETHER. You will be able to try the new Organic Spaceship, fight with 3 new monsters including Vultuu, play with the new Rosetta hero, build the new minor modules and check out the brand new ending sequence. Also, our work on console has allowed us to deliver a proper gamepad interface for the game, which can be activated in the menus.

“On top of this free update, we are proposing a content pack (The Rescue Team, 1.99€), adding 3 Rescue Team heroes with very unique skills we’ll reveal next week, two new monsters and a new major module. We can’t wait to have you get your hands on this!”

And there’s the small matter of Endless Space 2 [official site], of course, which is deep in development. I’ve gone back to Endless Legend for a while after every update and it’s still my 4X of choice. Looking forward to a weekend of war.

1. Senethro says:

Already sold on this.

2. Gothnak says:

So, i played a game of this earlier in the year at normal difficulty level. I expanded reasonably quickly, liked the exploring, the visuals and the combat, met the first enemy civ, beat it down. I now look at the scores and see i am MILES ahead of everyone else, who i haven’t even met yet, so i stopped playing as it seemed like the old Might and Magic find and kill every city on the board game…

I assumed i should just have played at a higher difficulty?

• Senethro says:

Yes. If you’ve played a good amount of a 4X series before then you should probably go to difficulty 5/7 for your second game. Normal is 3/7.

• geisler says:

If you haven’t yet, i would recommend playing Age of Wonders III instead, but that’s just me.

In my opinion difficulty in Endless Legend doesn’t make much difference (in the context of making the AI exciting to play against). Maybe this patch will be worthwhile though.

• Procrastination Giant says:

Yeah, the AI in Endless Legends wasn’t really bad in the sense of not being able to play the game properly/not being challenging at higher settings – It definitely could crush you quite handily. It was bad because it was so incredibly detached, distanced, lifeless and ultimately boring to play against…

Regardless of the difficulty setting it kind of did its own thing in a vacuum and either fell behind or overtook you without ever really engaging with you – It also never really felt like the different races were played differently by the AI – The only difference i noticed was the Drakken’s habit of abusing their racial power of global diplomacy to send early doomstacks…

I loved all the systems they had in place, loved all the clever little inovations and the nice visuals… loved the worldbuilding and all…but dropped the game after 3-4 matches due to the poor ai, since it felt ultimately pointless to play… so i’ll probably have to give this another shot to see how much the patch changed things around… i wanted to like this game so badly afterall.

• Snargelfargen says:

The AI has been improved quite a bit over successive updates, so if you haven’t played it since early in the year or release, I would recommend giving it another try.

The biggest problem as I see it is that each faction plays the game in a fundamentally different way, requiring new AI. Amplitude have essentially octupled (actually x9 after the last dlc) the amount of work necessary.

But play Age of Wonders 3 anyways. It’s fantastic.

Neurotic says:

I bounced off this almost right away, which surprised me because usually I love all such games turn-based 4x+ strat-’em-ups.

• Biaxident says:

Yeah tried a few times but I just can’t seem to really get into it.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Me two. Difficult to put my finger on what exactly about it turns me off. Possibly the lousy AI but more likely the ‘neither fish nor fowl’ combat – more involved than something like CIV but find myself missing the tactical complexity of AOW3, a bit similar to how I viewed Fallen Enchantress and Legendary Heroes I suppose.

• lomaxgnome says:

I found that always auto-resolving the combat made the game flow better and play much closer to a Civ style 4X game with the brilliant improvements such as questing. To me the combat just slowed things down and like you said, wasn’t really deep enough to be fun. Most people seem to think that if you want a game more focused on tactical combat, Age of Wonders III is preferable.

4. jeeger says:

Hmm, seems they are adopting the Paradox DLC model. I’m split on whether this is a good thing. On the one hand: So much DLC to buy! On the other hand: Free patches, good game longevity. Your thoughts?

teije says:

In general I favour it, since it does make for a deeper gaming experience you can dip into over the years as it grows and enjoy new features. Something I’ve been doing with EUIV and CKII for years.

On the other hand, it makes it confusing and potentially expensive to come into the games post-release as a new player since the list of DLCs (look at EUIV for example) can be overwhelming and its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

5. Abndn says:

They’d have to improve the AI massively to make it worthwhile. There’s a lot to like about the game, but the AI is so incredibly stupid that it ruins everything else. They never seem to react to anything you do, and you never get the impression that they are doing things, or have a goal or plan. The combat AI is so bad that you can pretty much conquer any capital you want even when far behind.

6. Ooops says:

Amen.

I bounced off the game, despite its real qualities, due to the atrociously dumb AI. And this, coming from someone who usually sucks at 4X by the way.

7. Butler says:

So there’s lots of strong opinions about the legacy AI – and I get that – but this patch (and I’m sure many others) have aimed to improve AI specifically.

Are things meaningfully better now vs. release? It’d be especially good to hear from someone who’s actually played the latest version.

• Vacuity729 says:

As far as I can tell, the patch hasn’t dropped yet and it wasn’t available as a beta that I noticed, nor are the expansions on sale at the time I’m typing, therefore it could be difficult for people to give any feedback just yet. Also, given the time taken for 4X games to pan out, it could be a while before anyone’s likely to respond.

8. SanguineAngel says:

Oh man, I just genuinely love the cut of Amplitude’s gib.

Bluerps says:

It’s a great game, and I love that Amplitude are still expanding it.

10. Snargelfargen says:

One thing I would like to see in upcoming content is some singleplayer scenarios with special maps and challenges. EL already has more narrative than most 4x games, and it would be nice to see that fleshed out even more. More variety and AI improvements are always welcome too, of course.

It’s funny seeing how many people have beefs about the AI here. Being a 4x fan sucks when you are dependent on getting a group together to play and finish what could be a 12 hour long game. Too often we must make do with AI.

11. FatalOath says:

How about fixing the multiplayer before even thinking about more DLC for DotE…