Warhammer 40K MOBA Hits Early Access In December

I’d forgotten that a Warhammer 40k MOBA was in the works, but of course one was. Games Workshop are going hog-wild with licensing nowadays, after all. We haven’t paid much attention to Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena [official site], but soon you’ll be able to do all those MOBA things yourself (clicking on various types of wizards until they explode, primarily) as it’s coming to Steam Early Access on December 9th.

Set within a Dark Eldar combat arena (ooh, those sadistic so-and-sos!), Dark Nexus Arena has ‘Veterans‘ like a Tau Fire Warrior, a Sister of Battle, an Ork Stormboy, and a Space Marine Assault Terminator all throwing down. Developers Whitebox Interactive say it’s a “MOBA/shooter hybrid” with “a skill shot-based control scheme”. It has cover too, with folks able to hide behind arenabits or even other characters. As for the MOBA-y bits, it’s of the sort driven by capturing points rather than pushing down lanes to smash bases. Hmm! We’re hardly short on MOBAs nowadays, but something more shooter-y does sound more interesting than Just Another LoL.

This is only going off what Whitebox say, though. I suppose we’ll find out the grim, dark reality in December.

1. Oakreef says:

I don’t really care about MOBAs but hurray for there being two Tau heroes anyway!

2. Wowbagger says:

It’s a no from me Bob.

3. Senethro says:

Eh, I want a 40K game thats Space Red Orchestra with guardsmen vs. cultists. Press J to wipe your best friends entrails off your lasguns focusing lens.

Also, no machinegun bolters.

4. Fluffy_Fleshwall says:

Cel Shaded 40k, with floaty animations and a worn out gameplay concept? No thanks, I think I’ll just play Dawn of War: Retribution instead.

• Michael Anson says:

You left out pretty poorly animated. I get that it’s early to be showing gameplay footage, but if all you have to show is graphics and animation, you want to get it right.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Hooray, finally an excuse to post the cel shaded tyranid models someone did!

link to dakkadakka.com

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah it looks really underwhelming visually compared to the other popular MOBAs.

5. unacom says:

[Bats an eyelid. Yawns. Scratches. Resumes sleeping position.]

Chrr.

6. jiffster says:

Thank the gods! Another MBA! And I was thinking there wasn’t going to be a new one out this week.

7. mukuste says:

At least it seems like they aren’t using the rather antiquated “right-click to move” control but rather something more direct?

I’m still hoping that there would be a MOBA that plays more like the fantastic Bloodline Champions (and has, you know, an actual playerbase). Not thinking this will be it, but hey.

Heck, all I really want is Bloodline Champions to still be played. That game did something truly new in the genre and somehow never quite took off.

• Kitty says:

As far as I know, most people who play MOBAs just want a DOTA-like with a little bit of change. Or at the very least, that’s what they did back when BC came out, I think.

8. Chaotic Entropy says:

I wouldn’t worry, I imagine it won’t take long for you to forget it again after it has been released. Everyone’s got to have a Bloody MOBA.

9. malkav11 says:

At least when everyone was rushing to try to get a piece of WoW’s money faucet, it produced new worlds to explore on a regular basis, even if most of them weren’t very exciting in the final analysis. (And of course none of them actually secured a piece of WoW’s money faucet.) The MOBA rush is/was just tiresome.