Mount & Blade With Fancier Pirates: Caribbean! Reborn

Caribbean! [official site] is basically ‘Mount & Blade With Pirates!’, built on the M&B: Warband engine and engaging in the usual open-world RPG faction warfare. But in their haste to leave Steam Early Access, developers Snowbird Games cut a lot of planned features so they could push it out. Turns out, players actually wanted some of those. Snowbird today announced they’re revisiting Caribbean! and next month will release an improved, expanded, new standalone version named Blood & Gold: Caribbean! – which will be free to everyone who owns Caribbean! Exclamation mark!

Look over the list of new things in Blood & Gold and you’ll notice a lot of them are features cut from Caribbean!, such as multiplayer, female characters, walking in towns, and native tribes. It’s got other new things too, like reworked land battles, new special locations, prison escapes, and destructible fortifications during sieges.

Blood & Gold: Caribbean! is coming to Steam and GOG on December 10th. Caribbean! owners will find it popping up as a separate entry in their game libraries.

How come it’s a standalone release rather than an upgrade? Snowbird say saves won’t be compatible between the two versions, so they wanted to leave the original Caribbean! intact for current players. It’ll probably also be nice for them to escape some of the negative Steam reviews, as well as get the store placement and publicity boost of a new release.

1. Skyhigh says:

About time they add the multiplayer, this and the native multipalyer mode gotta be enough until Bannerlord comes out sometime 2016.
    I’ll try singleplayer too, but the Bannerlord screenshots and videos are pretty cool and awesome!

2. egattocs says:

That exclamation mark made this whole article read like a Cillit Bang advert.
    You should consider adopting this approach for future articles. I don’t plan on buying Caribbean!, but I’m still excited!

3. cpt_freakout says:

Haven’t gone back to it since launch because it was dreadful and I preferred other, much better mods out there, but it looks like Caribbean! might finally fulfill its promise. That is if this new version doesn’t have a million new bugs to boot.

4. Unclepauly says:

The graphics look worse than Far Cry 1. Are my eyes deceiving me? Just wha

• Immobile Piper says:

Looks about right for a M&B: Warband mod.

teije says:

Yeah, M&B Warband is ugly as sin. But still fun.

This !!! thing still looks pretty janky. Will wait until Bannerlord.

• Chaotic Entropy says:

Regrettably still pretty meh looking, but if they fix up the core gameplay (and add some features that pretty much every bugger under the sun modded in) then I’ll play play it for 100s more hours.

• Baines says:

That’s what I remember Mount & Blade looking like. But when I look at images online after a search, the Warband images it returns look better.

Andy_Panthro says:

Modded Warband can look much better, but I always prefer to keep the graphics looking crap and instead increasing the number of soldiers that can be in a battle.

5. Elliot Lannigan says:

Jeb!

6. Slazia says:

I might be in the minority, but I quite enjoyed this. It’s an interesting setting. I have 28 hours in game according to Steam.