Do Not Wipeout: Switch Galaxy Ultra Released

If I show you that screenshot up there ↑ and tell you that Wipeout artman Jim Bowers designed the futuristic cities each track races towards, you’ll think that Switch Galaxy Ultra is a Wipeout ’em up racer, won’t you? Don’t, because it isn’t. If you’re longing for a new Wipeout-y game on PC, keep waiting. Switch Galaxy Ultra [official site], see, is a switch ’em up about jumping your space-vehicle between space-lanes to avoid barriers as you space-zoom along. It’ll never be the 1990s again, you know. Folks at Chemical Brothers gigs nowadays brings a folding chair and a flask of Pimm’s Winter punch.

Switch Galaxy started on PlayStation Mobile in 2013 then bounced to PS4 and Vita too, and has now arrived on Windows, Mac, and Linux via Steam for £5.59 right now.

It’s a little bit like Audiosurf but trying to avoid everything, or the Battletoads level Turbo Tunnel seen from behind. As well as trying to get good times by not smashing your ship into everything, you big clumsy fool, you’ll want to upgrade your vehicle to go even faster. It doesn’t have multiplayer, but does have competition in leaderboards.

Switch Galaxy doesn’t look like my bag, but I do like to keep half an eye on Wipeout-related games. (I have many, many eyes to go around.) Speaking of, the crowdfunded Formula Fusion fell on hard times and laid some folks off, but now say they’ve secured investment to finish it. Anyway! Here’s a trailer for Switch Galaxy Ultra:

1. iainl says:

You’re a cruel, cruel person, Alice. I might have given this the time of day if I wasn’t so busy being disappointed that isn’t a Feisar.

2. rcguitarist says:

So it’s a runner-type mobile phone game with a wipeout license. I’m sure its a crap game, those all are. Welcome to the future of gaming, soon all games will be like mobile phone games.

• thanosi says:

A game designed for Playstation mobile displaying the characteristics of a mobile phone game is hardly surprising. Might want to tone down the end of gaming as we know it hyperbole a touch.

• MadTinkerer says:

“Welcome to the future of gaming, soon all games will be like mobile phone games.”

Welcome to the very brief future of games where no one buys the crappy mobile ports and everyone who deserves to go bankrupt goes bankrupt and then we can all enjoy real games again. It’s kind of happening already, if you pay close attention.

• RobF says:

I think we’re going to be OK, guys.

• TechnicalBen says:

I loved these kind of games as a kid (Sky Roads etc).
      However, being polished and having tight controls helps.

That is, having nice artwork and gameplay. If this game fails there, it fails on production. No excuse for being “mobile”, even if 99% of mobile games use it’s platform as an excuse. :(

3. KesMonkey says:

“If you’re longing for a new Wipeout-y game on PC, keep waiting.”

Or check out Formula Fusion which is in Steam early access. It’s a Wipeout-y game made by former Wipeout devs.

• BTAxis says:

I was initially pretty interested in that, and then I saw some gameplay footage. From what I saw, you can’t ever see very far ahead due to the walls on either side of the track and the bumps in the track itself. So either you memorize the track perfectly, or you’re constantly slamming into the sides. Maybe that’s authentic Wipeout (I didn’t play Wipeout) or something, but I sure don’t like it.

• mickygor says:

Just watched some footage. It’s pretty much Wipeout. You can read the track but it’s a skill to be learned, it’s not obvious. The first few courses are usually quite easy to help you learn it.

• GWOP says:

That’s Wipeout alright. The tracks need to be burned into you as muscle memory.

4. Zaxwerks says:

Couldn’t give a stuffed moose about some tablet game port, but Formula Fusion slipped under my radar, I’m now totally stoked about that!

5. FurryLippedSquid says:

I came for the Wipeout.

Couldn’t find any.

6. RobF says:

It’s not too bad. It’s not *quite* as good as I’d hoped it would be but it’s certainly alright.

If anything it suffers from a bit too much faff starting and between stages but once you’re rolling on the track, it’s fun enough.

7. koeklimas says:

I would kill for a round of ‘zones’ right now. Wipeout was a drug if anything. Play your own music and zone out. At some point I didn’t notice playing it anymore. Its meditation in its purest form, I became part of the game.

8. flupke says:

As a huge wipeout fan, this looks really promising : link to youtube.com