What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

By my estimates, this may be the final weekend you have free before you’re roped into helping out with Yuletide preparations. I tend to avoid the whole end-of-the-year thing, but I’m looking forward to Crimbling up our flat this year. I think Cara plans for me to do a lot of heaving and hauling and climbing, as the designated Handy One of our flat, and I trust she’ll be mulling away. I don’t know if I’m up for wassailing though. So, what will you be playing on potentially your last free weekend of the year? Here’s what we’re into:

Adam: I’ll be mopping up the final few story missions in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. I’ve fought serial killer cultists because Charles Dickens asked me to disprove the existence of ghosts, I’ve exploded drug factories with Charles Darwin by my side and I’ve developed a slight crush on bumbling Alexander Graham Bell. It’s a silly game, caught somewhere between League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Penny Dreadful, Uncharted and the Arkham games. It’s also as much of a pleasant surprise as Black Flag and might be my favourite AC game to date.
Alec: I am playing ‘laboriously install my shit on a new PC’ (though actually it’s made out of second-hand components) as I’ve rented some squalid office space with some other Brighton games journos – cabin fever has become acute after the best part of a decade working from home. Then I’m going to tell the others to leave, turn off the lights and get on with playing everything I haven’t yet played from Adam’s list of best stealth games. Why the hell would I ever want to share my game-space with other people anyway?
Alice: My plans have little bearing on reality, as something always pops up or I’m struck by whims, but the idea is to finally finish up The Phantom Pain (I’ve really dragged this one out), knock out some Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth unlocks, and maybe even start on Dark Souls II. I’ve waited a long, long time to resume my chill late-night radio antics and think I’m about ready for it now. Handy I took so long that a better version of DS2 came out in that time.
Graham: I’m playing Subterfuge, a game which is not on PC but which is clearly inspired by games that are. Namely Neptune’s Pride, about which RPS wrote a sizable diary. It swaps that game’s space and spaceships for deep seas and submarines, but otherwise is similarly a strategy game which mixes the goals of economic and territorial expansion with the methods of wheeling and dealing diplomacy.

The second connection with this website is that one of the other players in the game is Adam. We’re neighbours, in fact. I hope he doesn’t immediately attack me.

John: This weekend I’m playing a secret game that’s one I’ve been most looking forward to all year. I shall also be spending as much time playing the puzzles in the magazine Beyond Sudoku, which is a terrible name for one of the best puzzle collections I’ve ever found.

Oh, and in my imagination I’ll play some more Fallout 4, because in my imagination I won’t be looking after a 1 year old most of the weekend.

Philippa: I’m at the Smite super regionals event so I’ll mostly be watching other people play but in between that I’ll be spending a bit more time with the Paladins beta. Fun fact: I had a few games with it on Wednesday and my worst character was a tiny squirrelly thing called Pip. Literally everyone I have met here is better at being Pip than I am.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. goettel says:

FO:NV, whilst stroking that fat FO4 refund.

• GamesBrit says:

Wow, you didn’t like it that much, huh?

• goettel says:

I didn’t really, but my limited two hour experience combined with everything written on it made me exile it to a future sale, unless the great mods arrive first – which they probably will. Hopefully someone will turn it into more of a New Vegas, which I’m finding superb after a decent absence – warts & all.

The stiff and by-the-numbers male protagonist voice in FO4 didn’t help at all either. Witcher’s Gerald might have annoyed me a bit – what with him frankly being a bit of a dick; at least he’s a well-voiced dick.

• Zenicetus says:

I had to re-roll my initial character build in Fallout 4, because the looks didn’t match the one canned male voice we get. I made another character with a face and body that seemed to fit the voice better, and that helped.

That’s backwards from the traditional “roll your own character” idea in RPG’s, but as long as we’re stuck with a voiced character, I can accept the compromise. Together with the backstory (family man, ex-military), it just pushes the game a little closer to having to inhabit a predetermined main character like Witcher 3.

• Blastaz says:

I’m not sure I like the world where having a wife and baby makes you an archetype as opposed to 30…

• criskywalker says:

I hated it as first too. Then I noticed I played more than 2 hours and it was too late to ask for a refund.

So I stuck with it and I’m loving it now!

• cutterjohn says:

I only played a few hours as well and hated every second of them, ALTHOUGH some of the reviews that I’ve read stated that it doesn’t really get any better until the 40h mark. I just don’t know if I can take 40h of dreariness.

Also, TBH it does NOT at all feel like other bethesda games where I just feel like I can wander off and do whatever and STILL have fun. For some reason FO4 just feels like a steaming pile, which isn’t at all helped by the fact that bethesda continues to gut the rpg mechanics of their games turning them into action-adventures(skyrim, but at least as a game it was FAR better than oblivious) or a shooter(FO4), and not a very engrossing one at that.

• fish99 says:

In terms of being able to wander off and do what you want, it’s no different to every Bethesda game. There’s absolutely nothing stopping you.

2. Frosty Grin says:

Just had some time with Cult of the Wind. Gorgeous-looking game – if quite basic.

3. RaunakS says:

RPS reminded me recently of some pretty good old games (geddit?) that I had forgotten to finish. Thanks RPS!

SO, this week will be dedicated to finishing Velvet Assassin, getting past the insane chariot races in PoP: The Two Thrones and looking for mods to spice up Jedi Knight 2. Are there mods for Jedi OutKast, BTW?

• Immobile Piper says:

There are mods for Outcast, no idea if any of them are any good though. I did chuckle at a few as I scrolled the moddb.com entries.

But mods or no, good games. Replayed the Jedi Knight series a year or so back. Kinda sad they haven’t been beat to my knowledge. Force Unleashed seemed to try but it didn’t exactly woo me.

• Hebrind says:

*creates a mod for JK2 where you are able to give Tavion some sugar because you are her neighbour*

• AriochRN says:

I recently finished a playthrough using the Ultimate Weapons mod – link to jkhub.org – pretty good movie style effects though sometimes you get odd floating blaster burn marks when deflecting stuff with the sabre. Guns look like they’ve been given a good going over with Brasso, though :)

4. Vacuity729 says:

I bought myself an xbone controller this week with the intention of trying to get to better grips with some of the actiony-games in my library, but four days later, I’m starting to think that learning to use an input method I’ve never used before may actually be harder work than just playing these games with suboptimal kb+m control schemes.

So, trying to make progress with Darksiders, but probably giving up and playing Endless Legend with the new patch and DLC content and trying to optimise my builds in Card Hunter.

• exile2k4 says:

I’d highly recommend sticking with the controller for a bit – I’ve been playing PC games since the early 90s and never owned a console so I’d not used them before, but I picked one up for Arkham City & Dark Souls a couple of years back. It felt really awkward to use for a while, but after a few weeks (maybe 10-20 hours in game), I really liked the controller, and now it’s something I can use happily for games that suit them.

There’s something I really like about using a controller, I can sit back a bit from the monitor, or stand up and walk around every now and again, and especially if I’ve been doing work with a keyboard & mouse for a few hours it feels like more of a break. It’s great being able to use whatever works best for a game.

• Sorbicol says:

Stick with it. After more years than I can remember sticking with m+k, I got a 360 controller for The Witcher 3. For those sorts of games (inventory management aside) a controller is so much better than m+k. Took me about 2 hours to finally get used to it, it was time well invested.

• Immobile Piper says:

I’m going to echo the others and tell you to give it a week. It really feels like one of those “can’t go back” deals once you grok it. If it still doesn’t sit right, well, it wasn’t meant to be.

• Vacuity729 says:

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ve been dealing with dodgy keyboard controls since I was sharing a speccy keyboard with my school friends to play games like Rampage and Bubble Bobble co-op, but I figured this would be easier. Looks like I underestimated how much effort it’d be to wrap my wizened, wrinkled brain around it.
      Still, now I’ve got it, I may as well use it, right?

• criskywalker says:

Just don’t give up. I used to hate controllers and even played lots of Street Fighter IV with the keyboard.

Once I got the controller I play mostly with it, even if I have a cool mechanical keyboard and good mouse nowadays.

There’s something really relaxing about playing with it and I got good enough for most games. The only problem I have is with aiming in shooting. I wish every game would be like GTA V where you can switch anytime, so I use controller for driving around and keyboard + mouse for shooting. Don’t give up!

• csbear says:

It depends on what I am playing obviously, but when I am using a controller, the Xbone controller is superb. I also have the Steam controller, but need to give it some more time.

• cutterjohn says:

I’ve had consoles AND computers ALL of my life, and my $0.02 over 20y of trying:
      Console games are GREAT with controllers, but then, they were DESIGNED for use with a controller.

Most PC games OTOH work best w/mouse and kb, excepting, flight/space sims which work BEST with a GOOD joystick (+ kb or if you’re a nut get one for $1k plus setups with buttons panels(programmable) and external displays, but those are mostly geared to flight sims and the uber grognard flight sims).

So, over the years I’ve tried various logitech SNES/xboxlike controllers and never really got into them. I bought the hypetrain of the steam controller, and well let’s just say that it’s a PITA to setup every single game. (I was kind of expecting a library chockfull of useful presets for steam games, but nope, or at least when I last tried it launch weekend, since it’s been gathering dust… going to give it another shot today I think if I’m not playing ‘let’s shovel the snow’*…)

i.e. I’m hoping that they added a goodly library of presets as I wasn’t happy even with games that I would have expected to work better with a controller, e.g. jrpgs, some actiony things, etc.

probably dust off the dk2 as well and play janusvr for a while, as I noticed the other month that it had changed ALOT in the last 6m or so… still rough, but I really think that’s one of the currently better VR apps along with the movie VR playback… my own private ginormous display IF only I COULDN’T see ever damned pixel… *sigh*

* this brings up hilarity to me when I see all the d’oh it’s autumn now stuff as it’s pretty much winter here already as usual although not so brutally as the last couple of years… yet… also ground’s not frozen so it was being slushy on pavement and the snow has knocked off for now although it was quite heavy an hour or so ago, the worst is supposed to be in the afternoon… ATM it’s play ‘lets clean the snow off of the car’…

5. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

After finally tracking down the maldoHD mod for crysis2 which seemed to have disappeared from tinterweb, I ran it without scanning… I’ll now spend the rest of the day dealing with whatever shitty viruses avast can find. If I do get back on track its a crysis weekend for me. Having recently completed graphics-o-fest Ethan Carter I returned to Crysis.. Oh. It looks just as good. But with loads of physics and a proper game. Wow. 8 years old…? If you still can’t play it on full at least crank physics up to ultra, and textures and shaders up as high as you can, it’s just awesome.

6. Velko says:

Star Wars: Battlefront. I don’t care if it’s shallow and repetitive, it got the sounds and visuals 100% right. When TIE fighters zoom past overhead with that IIIIEEEERRR sound and the AT-ST main gun goes SKRRIIUU SKRRIIUU, I’m right there inside the movies and I’m having so much fun. FOR ALDERAAN!

7. Perkelnik says:

After your article, Im going to fetch my NFS Porsche CD and start yet another evolution :)

8. lowprices says:

I am ill, so will be spending today in bed playing Sorcery! 2 and Monster Hunter 4 while sniffling melodramatically. If I feel better later I will drag myself over to my desk and continue my Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough.

9. Sorbicol says:

Star Wars Battlefront here. Yes it’s light and lightweight, utterly inconsequential and has very limited map rotation but the Hoth Walker Assault map is worth the price of admission alone (provided you used a key reseller). It really is Star Wars, even if the Hero units don’t really work.

Also Divinity Original Sin which, in Tacticians mode is hard as hell.

10. heretic says:

Looking forward to Auntie Alice’s chill late night radio antics!

11. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dark Souls again. How did this happen? Have plenty of backlog to get through but a stray youtube video inspired me to pick up my New Game+ character where I left him. Just reached Anor Londo so, yeah I’ll probably stop again when I hit Ornstein and Smough.

• PearlChoco says:

Heh, I’m going through DS for the very first time and I’m loving it! Just got through Anor Londo and now I’m in Darkroot Basin.
      I hated it at first, but after replacing my Xbox controller for K&M (with the mouse fix) it’seems sooo much better now.
      Not sure if I should go to Valley of Drakes or New Londo next.

• Immobile Piper says:

Usually there’s a third option as well. (no spoiler)

I found the best way to handle those situations in DS was to go wherever and appraise the difficulty. Go kill a few drakes, see how that feels like, then either keep killing them or hop over to New Londo. Or vice versa.

12. Immobile Piper says:

Free weekend? I believe my six month old is having it for me. That said when the bugger sleeps I plan to be alternating between Fable Lost Chapters and Moto Racer 2.

Fable always seemed an ok kind of game, and it doesn’t seem to be too long as far as RPG’s go. Can’t say much since I only just finished the belated intro sequence. Plan is to do the Evil Sorcerer routine, here’s hoping game doesn’t hate penis headed casters.

Moto Racer 2 I just grabbed from GOG weekend sale. 100% nostalgia trip, I have some fond memories of that.

13. piedpiper says:

Lichdom Battlemage. Way more interesting engaging than I expected. Some people just don’t understand that aside from beatifull magic crafting system it’s have a heart of Serious Sam, not some RPG.
    And tutorials suck! I completely magic system only by messing with it. Like in old times when there were no tutorials at all. I am at the last level and I am seriously going to play once again in NG+ and maximum difficulty. I didn’t use some sigils specially to use them in second playthrough.

14. caff says:

Fallout 4 and probably a lot of Rocket League.

15. exile2k4 says:

If I get the chance I think I’ll start a new Endless campaign in Invisible Inc. and see how far I get, picked it up with the DLC last weekend and I’m really enjoying it!

16. dethtoll says:

I, meanwhile, will likely be playing Halo 2! I’m in the process of completing Halo 1 for the 2nd time after a decade or so of being tedious and hating on it because it was a popular console game.

After 2, shall come 3, and then I think I’ll move on to Destiny!

17. Agnosticus says:

Audiosurfing via Steam Controller, which synergises perfectly with that game and some Red Orchestra 2, again :)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I love this, every week SOMEBODY will play RO2. Such a great game.

18. Fomorian1988 says:

Holy smokes, John is back!

This weekend I’ll be busy with Netflix’s Jessica Jones, so the only game I’ll be playing will be Fallen London. Maybe I’ll find time for Sorcery 2.

19. LearningToSmile says:

I completely missed the fact that Beyond Eyes came out, so I’m playing that a chapter at a time.

It’s lovely beyond words.

zinzan says:

Combat Mission Beyond Normandy, keep my 5 & 9 year olds occupied, help with homework (making a medusa mask), and possibly complete a few more DoorKickers missions.

21. Barberetti says:

7 Days to Die. Just getting ready to raid a town I found last night. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some handlebars and a headlight laying about the place, then I’ll finally be able to build a minibike!

Tomorrow will probably consist of lots of Minecraft with my nephews.

22. christmas duck says:

Going to put some more time into Invisible Inc. since I picked it up in the free Klei weekend, and also have some fun with Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes as I got it for my best friend’s birthday a few days ago and he has the weekend off for a change due to the…err…heightened terror alert in Brussels.

23. Foosnark says:

Overwatch beta weekend: so far, I have only played against bots, which is hardly a decent test. But I like Reinhardt, D.Va, Torbjorn, Reaper and Widowmaker. Those first two are tanks that are basically immortal to Solider 76 anyway, but I suspect Widowmaker and anyone fast and mobile are likely to cause them no end of grief.

Some of the other characters gave me the feeling they’d be devastating in the right hands, but those hands are not mine.

DiRT Rally: trying to earn the money to buy another one of the new “Modern Masters” cars. After immediately snapping up the Lancer Evo X because I used to drive one (well, a Lancer OZ Rally, which is kind of like a senile housecat to Evo X’s pair of tigers strapped together) I’m low on funds and haven’t done well enough in the last few days to earn much after repair costs and engineer contracts.

24. Hebrind says:

ANNO 2205, which is a really good installment of the series which has only one real downside which is no multiplayer – but for my co-op kicks I’m also playing ARMA 3 with a unit of friends so that sorts that out.

There’s been little to no coverage of ANNO 2205 on RPS, did you guys just miss it or are there simply too many games out there? I’d say it’s definitely worth a look – maaaaaybe not for the £50 Steam is asking for though. Then again there are few games recently I’d want to pay £50 for.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I think the early hours of that game are kind of bad – until you unlock the module system it feels really shallow. That said, compared with the older games it feels much more like I’m just checking off a ‘complete the game’ checklist than actually engaging with the game. I don’t really feel like I’m making a lot of interesting decisions while playing it, compared to the older games where you’d be deciding which transport routes to automate, what upgrades to put on each ship, which island to colonize next, which thing to research etc.

I’m kind of enjoying what I play of 2205 and I appreciate that it is different to the older games, rather than just bigger or prettier (although it kind of is both of those things) but I definitely think it’s a step back in terms of game design. I picked it up from GMG for £28 and it unlocked on uPlay.

25. Jonfon says:

Back to Divinity with the Enhanced Edition. Although im 3 hours in and suffering build anxiety.

Also back to helping 8 year old to code farting unicorns (although we’ve moved on since then, they did Flappy Bird last time. With farts).

26. ToomuchFluffy says:

I’ll probably try to finish off Soulbringer today. I’m a bit surprised that I have actually been playing this for close to 45 hours. In spite of all the complaints I have about it, I still clearly enjoyed it more than Dragon Age: Origins :D

I’m also pretty close to finishing the Vietcong-story-campaign. Great tactics FPS that apparently (and inexplicably) has mostly been forgotten.

And I’m trying to get back into my Syberia-playthrough after many weeks.

27. Awesomeclaw says:

This weekend I’m playing the ‘continue to attempt to track down and fix the bug, so that I can run experiments and write a paper’ game. The graphics are terrible (pretty much text only), and the gameplay is repetitive and frustrating.

• Geebs says:

I’ve been playing “why does my renderer delete texture number 14, and only texture number 14, when the window changes size?” I’m not entirely convinced there is a win state in this game.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Fallout 4. I am waiting for that Monsignor glitch to be fixed before taking on more of the main story so right now I am just exploring seeing what I can find without any direction from the game.

Just got back from a trek into The Glowing Sea. Had an amazing time. 5 star Yelp review.

29. welverin says:

Still avoiding Fallout 4 while I crawl towards the end of MGS5.

Always the possibility of squeezing in some TF2 or Evolve (I have three characters to elite after finishing off Meteor Goliath last night and Blitz Markov just getting released).

Then there’s whatever I may play while at my friends house waiting for our D&D game to start. Base Command, Muramasa Rebirth, Rayman Legumes, Gravity Rush…whatever whim leads me to.

30. manio22 says:

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion with 100+ mods . If my pc can manage it and don’t blast me to the moon that is.

31. Risingson says:

I wanted to stay home and spend the weekend playing such new games as Baldur’s Gate 1 and Grim Fandango, but nightlife in london is too great and JESSICA JONES.

By the way, first time in about 10 years that I manage to survive through level1 in baldur’s gate. How tough is the beginning there.

32. Kitsunin says:

Mordheim. It’s a pretty great tactical campaign thingy, but I have to say the UI could use improvement. I dig that they’re trying to make things pretty and overcluttered, but if I could just see UI blips for the location of Wyrdstones and enemies through terrain, then I wouldn’t have to constantly open the strategic map. It’s really a pain having to swap between the two views so often.

• MrPyro says:

The ability to see wyrdstone/loot points through walls is one of the benefits of using the Perception ability.

• Kitsunin says:

So I have to use my Strategy Points to have a 50% chance of not having to hit space…?

(Yeah I know there’s more use to it than that, but still, it would just have to try to give you as much info as the strategic map does, even just as an option)

33. mgardner says:

Lately I have found myself bouncing off AAA RPGs that I should be enjoying, and have gone back to the classic formula with the Etrian Odyssey Untold reboot (#2 was released last month). I am 75% through story mode of the first on Expert difficulty, and loving the challenge.

34. imperialus says:

Thea the Awakening.

Really cool, very different take on the 4X. Hard as balls though One of my most badass warriors died to a damn bee sting. He had taken two wounds out of 14 hitpoints but it was enough to kill him.

• csbear says:

I will be starting up Thea: The Awakening as well! Something a little different in the 4x genre is always welcome.

• mgardner says:

Thanks for the recommendation, I had never heard of this game and am playing it now. This is why I read this article every week!

35. yan spaceman says:

I’m fannying around with the Registry Editor desperately trying to install the Iron Wrath expansion onto the Steam version of Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield. I’m also playing Sir, YABH and Spintires.

I have played about 1 or 2 hours of both The Banner Saga and Sunless Sea and would like to really get stuck into one or both.

36. malkav11 says:

Binging Jessica Jones, of course. And playing the final episode of Tales from the Borderlands, ideally. Beyond that… Dragon Age Inquisition, probably. I’m hoping maybe some cooperative Neverwinter Nights. And retreading SCII: Wings of Liberty’s campaign in the aim of finally finishing that, moving on to Heart of the Swarm, and eventually playing Legacy of the Void since I own it already and everything.

I should probably sink some time into Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas since I am holding off on Fallout 4 for them, but I suspect that’s not super likely. What is substantially more likely is falling back into Persona 3 Portable on my PSVita. I know, I know, dirty console gaming, but at least I do it sat at my PC with a podcast going!

37. Horg says:

I’ve gone back for some old school Diablo 2, trying a few builds I never bothered with before because they were too hard to level solo before repsecs were allowed.

38. Dunbine says:

Overwatch. Fun, but I’m thinking I’m getting too old to compete. I’ve noticed that I seem to be subconsciously (can that be the case if I’ve noticed?) drawn to the slowest characters, presumably my way of compensating for the withering of my twitch reflexes.

39. criskywalker says:

Some stupid friend is getting married so I won’t get to play so much.

Still, I’ll still play some Hearthstone as always. Maybe I’ll play some more Fallout 4 and it kept The Witcher 3 on hold as well, so I’m not sure what I’ll play.

So many long games, so little time, so I’ll probably just keep playing Hearthstone and some more Hearthstone.

40. raiders says:

FALLOUT 4!(Mic drop)

41. DevilishEggs says:

Finally started Stasis last night and such a class act. I especially like how some of the more obtuse puzzles have been buttressed by the stories that unfold over the computer screens and PDAs, and the environments are wonderful. It makes me wish there were more isometric point and clicks.

Alice tv is hilarious. I also am fascinated by swimming in video games!

42. Stevostin says:

There’s a Bethesda game out, so I don’t get the question. Of course I’ll play it to death and only then go back to any other game. Because basically there’s only Bethesda targeting that level of open world experience so they’re the only one living at that floor of the building.

That being said maybe I’ll have to play some Terraria with the son. I have convinced him to start fresh with new characters rather than play the incredible supermen games so that may actually be fun.

43. FunnyB says:

Continuing with Valkyria Chronicles.
    Such a good game!

44. derbefrier says:

well i got passed up on the Overwatch beta. Didn’t get into the Star Citizen 2.0 test server so Board games! probably some Twilight Imperium and if time permits a game of Spartacus got it for cheap and bought it on a whim and its actually pretty damn fun. oh and as others have been saying Watching Jessica Jones which after a couple episodes is looking pretty good.

• Immobile Piper says:

So TI is a given but Spartacus needs some time allotted? How’s TI with just the base? Reading around the internet it seems Shattered Empire is some flavour of mandatory.

Speaking of boardgames, I’ve got a feeling I’ll get in a game of Chaos in the Old World tomorrow. Always a good time. Would like to try Spartacus but it’s already a struggle to play all that I want as often as I want.

• Kitsunin says:

How do you find people to play board games with, anyway? I’ve tried my FLGS, but it only really has people with interest in Magic and miniatures games. Aside from that, I tried hosting a “game night” for some acquaintances who said they were into games, but it wound up just being a couple hours of Cards Against Humanity as no one showed any interest in trying something new, or familiarity with anything that isn’t a party game.

• Immobile Piper says:

I bought Cyclades and asked a few friends if they’d want to play an awesome game about warmongering Greeks. They did, and then we did. Then we figured it’d be more fun with more people so we asked a few old school chums via Facebook if they’d want to come play some awesome games. One did. And he had a few friends.

So now I’m having a 3-5 player game night on a weekly basis.

No real trick to it for me. I just asked some friends who already liked videogames if they’d want to play a board game. I guess it’d be more difficult if your friends aren’t gamers? Or if they’re those mythical videogame snobs who don’t see the need for board games?

• Kitsunin says:

I guess I’m in with the wrong crowd. I met some people who were definitely into proper board games, but have no interest in getting to know them. My first contact was when I was talking to someone else and mentioned that I have Eldritch horror, they butted into the conversation pretty much just to say “Oh wow, Arkham Horror is soooo much better, you should get that”.

The other people I’ve met who claimed to like board games and wanted to have a gathering to play, mentioned disliking complicated games and liking Risk and Dominion. So I’m still wondering if that means better games like Pandemic and Thunderstone could catch their interest or if it’d have to be something super mainstream.

• Kitsunin says:

I have a bunch of games because I used to play a lot of “core” stuff with family, but have since moved. So I can’t fall back on old friends and have to try to entice new acquaintances out of the limited crowd I see on a semi-regular basis, which is pretty tough.

• malkav11 says:

Not that this is helpful, but it’s kind of funny to me that you managed to run into one of the few people that thinks Arkham is the better game. General internet consensus seems to be that Arkham is bad and Eldritch may or may not be good but it’s certainly a whole lot better. Not that I agree with that view – to my mind they’re both good, but Eldritch presents some notable improvements that are coupled with a frustratingly high difficulty level and glacially slow movement to create a less enjoyable overall experience.

I don’t know what to tell you for sure – I’ve personally been lucky enough to know a couple of people for many years that turn out to be up for just about any game I want to play, now that I have space in my living arrangement to store and play boardgames. And then one of my neighbors turned out to also be up for them (albeit with a busy schedule), and the girl I’m dating is really digging them too. So I’ve sort of lucked into my arrangement.

But I wouldn’t consider Pandemic particularly complicated, and there are other things in the hobby game space that are both better than the mainstream games of yore and pretty lightweight, so you might have some luck with those with the “nothing too complicated” folks – worth a shot, anyway. Still doesn’t get the full spectrum played, of course, so you might also want to look into something like Meetup.com and see if the internet can connect you with some like-minded locals. You’d want a neutral space to play in the first few times, of course, but the FLGS might do for that, right? I suspect it’d be kind of hit and miss but I’ve known some people who swear by using it to locate people to game with and if you’re not having much luck through regular channels…

45. PancakeWizard says:

Shadow of Mordor. First time I’ve played it and it’s quite fun. However I played Mad Max first and much prefer that, to be honest.

46. Zenicetus says:

Fallout 4, and as a break from that I’ll probably start a new Endless Legend campaign to see how the new AI patch works.

particlese says:

Probably ESO, preceded by some Pixel Galaxy while waiting for friends to pop online, and interrupted by the making and eating of TACOS, OOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEAH!!

particlese says:

And, it turns out, getting frustrated enough with Mushroom 11 to uninstall it and skip around a speed run video instead. The early parts were generally cool, but it got way too timing-driven with its physicsy platformy action-puzzles after boss 4 for my tastes, and after seeing the speed run, I’m really glad I didn’t spend any further time on it. For what it’s worth, though, I never ran into any glitches.

Anyway, some Hexcells ought to soothe the mind before the A.D.D.-em-up session this evening, yes…

48. Ben B says:

Playing Mini Metro, other than This War of Mine I haven’t been sucked into an indy game in ages.

49. tsff22 says:

Besides the obvious answers of Afterbirth and ADOM, I just picked up Consuming Shadow and Hatfall, so I’ll definitely be playing those.

Also going to continue Starpoint Gemini 2. After all the horrible things I heard about the first one, I’m glad to see that the sequel is MUCH improved. Its not as good as Rebel Galaxy, but its still a great game.

Also gotten back into Maj’Eyal thanks to ADOM, and the new Old RPG tileset is REALLY rekindling my love for this amazing game.

Since I’m on a roguelike bender as it is, I’ll probably also replay The Pit and Dredmor as well. Maybe even Pixel Dungeon.

Finally, I’ll be playing Original Sin Enhanced since its AMAZINGLY better than the original. Its amazing how much VA and other tweaks can improve an already promising game.

• PancakeWizard says:

“With Lords of Xulima getting workshop support, I’ll probably be going back into that as well.”

Shit, really? That is tempting!

50. Wobsey says:

I’m playing Sleeping Dogs. Quite a lot of fun it is, driving around, karate chopping things, and eating various and assorted Hong Kong delicacies.

• Immobile Piper says:

A fun game! Though for me it was mostly a linear experience with some inexplicable open world horribly stitched in. Felt like an open world game that didn’t need to be.