Neon Struct Gets Level Editor And Free Expansion

Neon Struct [official site] is one of the 25 best stealth games on PC, says our Adam, and who am I to disagree with him? Him with his gentle voice and wry smile. And, uh, apparently his sneaking skills good enough to write that previous sentence when I popped into the kitchen for a cuppa. Well, no matter. Point is: Neon Struct was already grand, and now it’s practically endless, as it has a level editor with Steam Workshop support. Minor Key Games have also dropped a free expansion. How splendid!

You too can make your own Neon Struct levels, though you might want to have a read of the documentation first. From there you can upload them to Neon Struct’s new Steam Workshop or, I believe, release them as standalone downloads. I myself will award a special No-Prize to the first level infiltrating a dastardly cyberpunk girl gang.

Head on over to the Workshop now and you’ll mostly find The Dulce Archives, that new free expansion. It’s a prequel to Neon Struct’s main story, set 18 years earlier in the distant past of 1997, when something fishy is going down in New Mexico.

Here, this trailer shows off bits of the level editor and The Dulce Archives:

1. Banks says:

I should give this a second chance.

• Jekhar says:

What turned you off on your first try?

• Banks says:

Maybe It was too barebones, maybe I wasn’t in the mood. Anyway, I loved Eldritch and I’m sure that with a bif of patience I’ll find plenty to love here.

• Jekhar says:

Well, it is pretty barebones and offers little variation. If you don’t like what’s happening in the first few levels, you won’t like the rest. I found it relaxing, a sort of Thief/Deus Ex Lite. I’m a sucker for that fake 80’s style too, so that might have helped.

• Ansob says:

It’s a Thief game. The comparisons to Deus Ex really don’t help and are completely inaccurate except for some aesthetic similarities. In execution, it’s the Thief-est game to Thief since Thief 2, and is about as pared-down.

• Jekhar says:

And it’s closer to Deus Ex in terms of story and theme. That’s why the comparison is made. I don’t get why that “doesn’t help”, and i don’t care.

2. Anguy says:

Just completed it on saturday and had a blast. It’s a bit short but I hope there will be some workshop maps to play in the near future.
    Maybe some Thief inspired maps? It has more in common with Deus Ex in terms of setting but the gameplay is almost purely Thief which is something I’ve been looking for, for a long time!
    If you haven’t played it yet, go and get it, it’s great!

3. Amazon_warrior says:

Oooooh! I very enjoyed playing Neon Struct when it came out, and now there’s more? WIN! *crouch-slides improbably off in the direction of Steam*

• Amazon_warrior says:

Ufff. Except, of course, that I’d forgotten that I didn’t buy Neon Struct through Steam and thus apparently cannot access the Workshop stuff. Sucks to be me. :/

• dphrygian says:

If you bought it direct from neonstruct.com (via Humble Widget), you can download the updated build in your Humble library, along with the Dulce Archives as a zip file.

• Amazon_warrior says:

Ah! I think that’s what I did. Worth a check, to be sure. Thank you! :)