Telltale’s Game Of Thrones Second Season Confirmed

Coo, how about that Game of Thrones [official site] finale? And that thing with… The Ice Dragon? Was there actually an ice dragon or was episode 6’s title metaphorical? Look, I haven’t played it. Any spoilers in this post are the result of stupid stumbling luck. Besides, that finale’s still only part-way through Telltale’s grimdark fantasy choice ’em up. The developers had mentioned before that their deal was for several games, but it’s nice to have confirmation: yes, they are still planning to make another season.

“After this week’s finale, I’m pleased to officially confirm that there will be a second season of Telltale’s Game of Thrones series and that it’s currently in development,” Telltale CEO Kevin Bruner told The Hollywood Reporter, in an interview which definitely does have a few spoilers. “The questions left on the table at the conclusion of season one — who survived and who didn’t — as well as all the other choices you made play a huge role in the second season. We’ve been planning the second season all along, but I really shouldn’t be revealing more than that.”

At this point I’m at risk of blindly tripping spoilers so, er, if you’ve finished the first season, go poke around in the full interview for more on what’ll carry over into a second season, threads they’ll pick up and run with, characters who might play bigger parts, and some kind of teasing maxim I don’t get at all.

Oakreef says:

I did enjoy playing the first series but I’m not too excited about the second. The finale left things so vague and uncertain I’m pretty sure they’re just writing cliffhangers with no idea how to resolve them and no idea what any mcguffins lying around are for. The Cyanide GoT RPG had a better story as well that didn’t rely on fanfic versions of the Starks.

2. TheAngriestHobo says:

Kind of frustrating to me (as someone who doesn’t give two licks about GoT) that TT rushes to confirm a second season for this, while the futures of games like The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands – which both received better aggregated scores – are left completely ambiguous.

• int says:

I’m still waiting for more Sam & Max! Still, we did get 3 seasons there.

• dauw says:

Your fault for not caring about Game of Thrones. Oh, and caring about aggregate scores.

I kid, I kid. I do hope they announce more Tales From the Borderlands and, particularly, The Wolf Among Us. Really enjoyed those. Maybe even another Walking Dead, provided they can make it as good as the first season.

• alms says:

Why should anyone in their right mind make game-making decision based on things like “aggregate scores”?

3. manny says:

Also hopefully they will have switched to the unity engine.

4. klops says:

“The questions left on the table at the conclusion of season one — who survived and who didn’t — as well as all the other choices you made play a huge role in the second season.”

I could bet some serious money against this claim.

• alms says:

While playing this one I had the feeling that it may be more interesting in terms of choices and consequences than other TT games.

I was just drained and beaten after my first playthrough to go straight back in, but I’d like to, and see whether some crucial outcomes can actually be changed unlike their other games. FWIW the interview linked seems to confirm that my impressions were not completely wrong.

Expect every decision and character to matter would be unrealistic, but the consequences should be more longer lasting than other TT Games, if nothing else, because the story arc I mentioned is for the most part a setting up phase that lasts through the whole of the first season, to throw it away in an episode or two would be beyond dumb.

5. BannerThief says:

I was really liking the GoT Telltale game until the finale decided to not answer ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL. Incredibly frustrating, and I’m not sure I want to stick around for a second season if it’s going to have the same rug-pulling bullshit. (In any case, their episodic pipeline was particularly shaky for this game, and I hope they figure it out sooner rather than later.)

6. RabbitIslandHermit says:

*Spoilers for season 2*

Foresters decide they’re sick of being kicked around, resume plotting.

Foresters execute plot, look triumphant for two seconds.

Oh no, that choice you made earlier has doomed the plot and thus the Foresters.

Foresters resume being kicked around.

*End Spoilers*

7. alms says:

Well, it was pretty obvious early on a certain story arc was not really going to play any significant role in the events of the first season, so plans for a second one must have existed since who knows when.

8. captainfartsify says:

I can help you with “The Ice Dragon.” It was metaphorical. The Ice Dragon must be what Lord Gregor Forester named a constellation. I’m still trying to match up the stars on a picture on google images, but I can’t quite get it.

9. Birky says:

I haven’t played the last episode yet, but I do hope for season 2 they sort out the save/choices system. It never seemed to remember them correctly for me. Given that it’s the main investment in a Telltale series I’d want to know its fixed before paying out for season 2. (I’ve been playing on Steam and Telltale’s support was pretty meh about it to)

10. odin says:

where are beshka and ryon going?