The Witcher 3 Half-Price In GOG’s Thanksgiving-y Sale

One nice thing about digital sales is that no one ends up injured, arrested, or killed. If you want The Witcher 3 half-price, hey, don’t sweat it: GOG’s Thanksgiving-y sale lives entirely inside computers, so all shall be well as long as you don’t accidentally sit on your laptop. I’m not sure why it’s named the ‘Only On GOG.com’ sale when TW3 is the fanciest bargain there and is definitely not, you know, only on GOG, but hey! Also on sale: old Star Trek, Dungeons & Dragons, and Warhammer games.

The Witcher 3 is £24.99, and it’s probably the best RPG of the past few years. The Witcher 2 is £1.99 and is also pretty great, but less so. CD Projekt’s first Witcher is only £0.99 and it… it’s a lot wonkier, but does different, more classical RPG things, and I still dig it.

Over in Bundle Corner, GOG have packaged some Star Trek, D&D, and Warhammer games into lots. You can buy individual games at a discount, but the discount ramps up as you buy more of each lot.

Over here you’ll find Star Trek’s Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command Gold Edition, 25th Anniversary, and Judgment Rites for as little as £6.36 for the lot. This one has Shadow of the Horned Rat, 40k: Rites of War, 40k: Chaos Gate, and Final Liberation: Epic 40k. This lump of D&D includes Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, while this D&D blast has a great many older games, such as the Eye of the Beholder trilogy.

One might suggest that tossing around terms like “the best RPG of the past few years” is me toying with RPS forumfolk guessing at our Bestest Best declarations, to which I would reply “Aaand?” Probably shrug, might wink. Then I’d add, “I didn’t even try last year and caught you right out with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – I’d be far more subtle than this if I wanted to mess with you.” Unless that’d be a double bluff.

1. ResonanceCascade says:

That’s great, because The Witcher 3 was fantastic, but I saw “Half” and “3” and thought of something else…

…hit TV sitcom sequel “Three and a Half Men,” of course.

• Xiyng says:

Such is Life.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m absolutely looking forward to the day HL3 will be released and people will be absolutely underwhelmed.

• Nereus says:

Well, we both got a rollercoaster ride of emotions. For a brief moment I thought I was actually living on a planet where somebody looked at two and a half men and decided it needed more men, as opposed to what it does need which is a good cleansing in holy fire.

• Tayh says:

I’m just looking forward to the day when people will stop crying about that fucking game every time they see the number 3.

2. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It certainly deserves the “bestest best” thingy this year, that’s for sure.

My personal preference would go to FO4, mostly because it’s the kind of experience i like the most, but it’s objectively undeniable that no studio like CDPR managed to reach such heights in so little time and more or less teach a lesson to the rest of the world.

Qazinsky says:

Yeah, it’s also hard not to get hyped for Cyberpunk when it’s more in my ballpark of interest and CDPR just seems to improve with every game.

3. Marblecake says:

Question:

I’m lazy and like having all my eggs in one basket. Is it possibly to buy the game on GOG but have it be updated via Steam?

artrexdenthur says:

Nope, not with GOG. But FWIW GOG Galaxy now exists and can update it automatically very similarly to Steam. It’s a pretty nice Steam equivalent, in my opinion, so if your computer can handle another startup program it might be an acceptable way to acquire TW3.

• Marblecake says:

Hey, thanks! I think I’ll do it.

• Doogie2K says:

Or just tell it not to open at startup in the options…

• baozi says:

It’s actually better than the Steam client in some areas. While you can now assign random tags in Steam, there’s better filtering in the GOG client (genre, platform, language, mode (single-player etc.), and tags like backlog, completed, favorite, and your own tags). Also, the client’s completely optional.

• Nereus says:

To all wondering, this is a sale on things that are distinctly GOG’s own. Most of the titles that are on sale are not found on Steam or other direct competitors and some of the ones that are (such as The Witcher) were made in house so consider it a “giving thanks for GOG” sale :)

4. Herr_C says:

Tempting, very tempting… But I’ll wait for the all-in-one pack.

• KoenigNord says:

Same for me. Such a big game demands an enhanced edition with everything perfectly arranged. Probably in next years summer.

5. jerf says:

Note that CD Projekt owns GOG, so all the money will go to the developers if you buy Witcher 3 on GOG.

GOG now has its own client similar to Steam, called GOG Galaxy, which can perform most of the things you use your Steam client for, like keeping the game up to date and tracking achievements.

And yes, Witcher 3 is amazing.

• jonahcutter says:

Yep. I’ve bought several old and new games on GOG Galaxy, and it has functioned really well. It’s shaping up to be a solid alternative to Steam.

6. trooperwally says:

This seems like a suitable place to compare witcher 3 and fallout 4…

OK, so they’re both open world rpgs. But to my mind witcher 3 is very good at rpg and so so at open world whilst fallout 4 is very good at open world but so so at rpg. I prefer the open world genre so I prefer fallout 4 and didn’t rate the witcher 3 so highly. Granted fallout 4 has more bugs (partially because it’s more free form and partially because Bethesda just don’t prioritise them so much) and the graphics are outdated (because the engine is outdated) but no one else is doing such free form rpg open world games. I feel I have more connection with my fallout character than I ever did with Geralt because I make the decisions. The witcher 3 felt like watching a movie with lots of ‘press e for the next line’ prompts. I was who the game told me I was and my actions were all limited choices. The same is true of the quests in fallout but the key is that I can play for hundreds of hours without going near a quest.

Tl;Dr – horses for courses. Witcher 3 is a better rpg. Fallout 4 is a better open world. Roll on the day when someone combines the two genres successfully.

• gunny1993 says:

Personally I think (pretty much for the reasons you say) the two games are pretty bad to compare, one of them wants you to play whatever self insert role play stuff you want, the other wants you to play a character.

That simple difference changes the games in so many small and crucial ways and diverts the target audiences heavily.

To my end I don’t really like fallout that much because I could go and play a table top RPG and achieve their goal (by not being constrained by coding, only imagination)

• Zelos says:

That’s wrong, though. Fallout is supposed to be playing as whoever you want, but Fallout 4 clearly isn’t; the main character is essentially static with less variation than Mass Effect’s Commander Shepard.

Fallout 4 is bethesda’s attempt to be more like other RPGs and actually tell a story. The result being that they took away much of your freedom and replaced it with a main story that’s only slightly better than their usual stuff.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Cyberpunk will fix every problem, i trust CDPR enough to be certain of that.

You’ll create your own character aswell.

• jerf says:

That’s strange because I didn’t feel like I’m making decisions in Fallout 4, everything boiled down basically to “kill’em all”. On the other hand, there are a lot of choices in Witcher 3 which really matter.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Making a choice in FO4 is different, it’s mostly dependent on how you decide to play your character and what you want to do with the world. In TW3 you might hate or love Radovid, have simpathy for Nilfgaard and so on, but you are a certain kind of Witcher.

Granted, you still have a lot of freedom in what you decide to do, but not much on who you decide to actually be, which in case of FO4 might be a settler, a brute, a knight, a railroad agent, a sniper and so on and so forth.

It’s not like it’s a bad thing, afterall you’re still supposed to play a certain predefined character, and we might also agree on the fact that the writing is on a different level, but it’s still a very different experience and not everyone enjoys the same thing.

When it comes to FO4 again i’m not denying a lack of options when it comes to facing the majority of direct enemies, because that claim is true, but i can also remember the opposite in quite some situations that actually mattered. There’s still a lot of hostility even when it doesn’t make sense, like with the Atom dudes, but at the end of the day it can work if what you seek is extra action.

So again, very different vibes and not everyone is as fortunate as me when it comes to being able to enjoy both it seems.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m happy to have the experience of playing both games (finished the Witcher 3, only partway through Fallout 4). But for me, there is no comparison. Witcher 3 nailed everything it tried to do. Fallout 4 only does a couple of things well.

The environment design, character design and facial expression, quality of writing and dialog, and combat, were all highly polished and enjoyable in Witcher 3. Well, maybe the combat could have used some tweaks, but once I got used to it, it was fine.

With Fallout 4, I’m mainly just enjoying the environment design, and occasionally the combat. I have to willfully ignore the awful NPC faces and janky animations, and most of the writing is not that interesting or creative. With a few exceptions, most of the quests in Fallout 4 are just a way to see more of the scenery. In Witcher 3 the scenery was a backdrop for quest actions and choices that I actually cared about.

Again, I’m glad both games are out there. I just had my mind blown by how good Witcher felt after I finished it, and that’s rare for me.

• Michael Fogg says:

I wish the ‘investigation’ bits in Witchy were on the same level as the investigation in the F4 quest ‘Covenant’. That one actually had me vexed for quite a bit, which was a pleasant surprise. No just following breadcrumb trails and looking for glowing bits like in W3! Of course such quests are not a new thing in Bethesda games (I recall Oblivion had a murder mystery in one of the castles) but generally my impressions so far do not confirm the widely circulated opinions that F4 is more shooter than anything else.

7. montorsi says:

I’m going to pass on listening to Geralt mumble to himself.

8. rodan32 says:

It’s $29.99 in ye olde American dollars, if any other lazy Yankees want to save a click checking. *sips Mt. Dew, belches*

• Hedgeclipper says:

and a little under a case of beer in Australia.

• fish99 says:

Funnily enough the £24.99 ‘half price’ if you’re in the UK is actually more than I paid for game on release day (needless to say I didn’t buy it from GOG).

syllopsium says:

That’s a lot of classic RPG, and the Star Trek adventures are generally quite superb. Damnit, I wasn’t going to buy anything.

Witcher 3 is easier to resist, I need a system upgrade, and haven’t played 1 and 2.

10. mattevansc3 says:

Didn’t GoG just finish a sale a week or two ago? Once this one has finished there’ll be a winter sale and then GoG will change their name to DFS.

• thaquoth says:

I think this one is specifically for games that they distribute themselves. They act as publisher on the old D&D and the Warhammer games, for example. Also Witcher of course.

More power to them I say. That they disentangeled all the rights nonsense with the Gold Box games is pretty great.

11. fish99 says:

Didn’t GOG just have a big sale?

I own all the Witcher games but just can’t get into them. The movement and combat in W3 just feels so weird to me, plus it makes my PC reset itself (EVGAs fault, not CDPR’s). Some day I’ll get into them.

• SanguineAngel says:

I have to say, the movement is probably one of the most engrossing aspects of the game for me. There is an alternative mode that’s more gamey for those who prefer but I personally greatly enjoy the pace and tone set by the standard movement and animation. It makes me feel like a part of the world rather than a remote controlled avatar

• Atomica says:

TW1 is arguably easier to understand in movement terms, than the second game. You have three battle stances that broadly translate to different enemies. It take a bit of getting used to, but you soon learn to switch between the fighting styles depending on who you face in battle.

TW2 is a bit less fluid in terms of combat and TW3 melds the two forms into something that works really well. The fact that you can take potions in combat is very handy and the fight moves are nicely complimented with the Signs.

Would I play the first two games again? Maybe. But TW3 is so nice and polishes gameplay up so well compared to the earlier two that the main reason to play the other games is to learn about the characters and the backstory.

Neurotic says:

For me, GOG has long replaced Steam as the number one cause of wallet damage. Not because I’m a retro freak, but because of the weird mix of old, really old, not so old, and quite new that they offer.

• SanguineAngel says:

Not to mention that I can be confident that an old game purchased via GOG will actually work.

13. dungeoncrawl says:

I need some real help determining if I should buy this. I really didn’t like Dragon Age 1-2 and, after all they hype and GOTY awards, I caved and bought it….and after 4-8 hours just lost interest. It’s too “real time combaty” for me (or something). Fast forward to Witcher 3. The reviews are great, people rant and rave. I really couldn’t get into Witcher 1-2. I’m a PC gamer and the controls were just PAINFUL IMO. Trying to get the timing in that very first training castle where I’m supposed to compete in some games was unbearable. I googled, found tons of people with the same frustration about ‘timing’ and couldn’t get it. I SHOULD like 1-2….but don’t.

So fast forward to now and I’m hearing Skyrim comparisons for W3. I LOVED Skyrim and played the heck out of it. Other games I love are Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Fallout 3-4 (all Fallouts really). Will I enjoy this or will it be like Dragon Age III for me?

Qazinsky says:

That is a really hard thing to answer. I can only speak for myself, but while I bounced off Witcher 1 and 2 hard, I played and completed Witcher 3 and quite fun while doing so.

I don’t know how well you can compare it to any of those games you mentioned when it comes to combat. It is better than in the first two games. It is third person and very dodge based and trying to cast a spell when it is off cooldown, I recommend that you youtube “Witcher 3 combat gameplay” and watch to see if it is something you can get behind, maybe skip the one with swamp in the title, seemed to contain som quest scenes, or you watch that and get a little sense of how the conversations works too.

Story and questwise, it has quite nice and diverse quests (the monster hunter contracts can be a bit samey so if you want to cut some time, you can usually skip those) and there is alot to explore if you’re into just riding off and doing your own thing.

So, to summarize: It’s not quite like any of the games you like but closest to Skyrim I guess (swords and magic, realtime third person combat, freedom to go explore) but at least one person that bounced off Witcher 1&2 and generally like the games you listed liked it.

Then again, it’s soon christmas, there will be so many sales, you might even get an even bigger discount by then.

• haldolium says:

Well the combat and movement is a lot more dynamic as it has been in TW1 and 2. The world is completely open at some point and the quests are imo some of the greatest in the world of videogame adventures. The amount of detail that went into the world is also rather amazing and on pair with the GTA series, unlike all of Bethesdas TES sandbox games which are quite repetitive.

They introduced an alternative movement mode with a patch some time ago, so Geralt gains momentum a lot smoother now (basically, like it has been in almost any other 3rd person game aside from The Witcher).

However I always like to remind people that the tutorial of TW1 wasn’t the greatest way to introduce the combat system. It gets a lot better later on, when you have some skill points invested in sword combat. For me, it became one of the most satisfying elements in the game. Maybe not as sophisticated as big titles focused entirely around timing based combat, but very intuitive never the less. Even so much, that I disabled the mouse cursor overlay telling me when to click. It takes a while (same for TW2 actually) and some skill points, but when you leveld certain elements it becomes a much better and more satisfying experience as in the tutorial. Sure, especially today the weird hybrid of top-down and 3rd person can be akward, but I still highly recommend to get over Khaer Mohen and give TW1 a chance to prove itself. Because it’s definitively one of the greatest games ever made and quite different to TW2 and 3 as well.