Watch The First Hour Of Just Cause 3

I don’t normally like to watch introductions to games pre-release, but Just Cause 3 [official site] seems a fair game to make an exception for. I’m not expecting to play the wingsuiting, parachuting, grapple hooking action game for its plot. And so here: the first hour of the game is embedded below.

I like the cover version song that plays over its introduction.

It’s like a demo only non-interactive. So like a demo but worse.

I played Just Cause 3 at Gamescom earlier this year, but was glumly stuck in its challenge maps. Those are cordoned-off parts of the game world in which you attempt to beat your score at specific wingsuit or timed destruction challenges. They were alright, sure, but what I liked about Just Cause and its sequel was the way its action setpieces would roll into one another. From firing guns while standing atop a plane, to gliding down and landing on the roof of a car, to tethering pursuing vehicles to passing scenery, to leaping off that car as it plunges into a ravine, to parachuting to the roof of another car – and so on, and so on.

From the video above – and from Adam’s experiences in the open world – Just Cause 3 seems set to offer similarly madcap action sequences. The most obvious area to improve from previous games would be its mission design, but I’m not sure I care as long as I can tie men to explosives then make the explosives rocket into the air.

Just Cause 3 is out December 1st.

1. Gilead says:

I never really got into Just Cause 2. I mostly found it fun theoretically — I’d imagine all the cool open-world stuff to do but get bored while doing it.

With some games if I feel like I’ve explored the actual game part enough to know what to expect from the actions I take, sometimes I just need some kind of narrative or other motivation to continue playing beyond ‘it’s a sandbox’.

Just Cause 2 seems to be more of the same, but with a more interesting setting. I’ll probably give it a try, but eventually I’m going to learn that these kinds of games just aren’t for me.

• Kollega says:

I saw one gameplay vid recently, and I think the sandbox destruction part has objectives to it, i.e. you need to liberate a certain province or destroy a certain installation to advance to the next story missions. Not 100% sure how it actually works, but I think this may help the players who need a sense of direction in the open world.

DuncUK says:

I just hope they remove the ‘find an arbitrary number of boxes via a proximity meter’ requirement for conquering a settlement. It makes no sense and ‘hide the sausage’ is not a fun game mechanic.

• Kollega says:

They did remove that, and what’s more, there’s now a list of destructibles in each settlement – so there should be way less sausage-hunting in the game than in JC2. “Way less” as opposed to “none” because there are still some collectibles to find, like Di Ravello’s audio logs (because obviously, each antagonist has to leave those lying around for the terminally curious to hunt for), but those are completely optional.

Qazinsky says:

I am similar myself in that the games I like to play needs to have SOME kind of goal, even if it is just a bland main story, it’s still better than “Do whatever, nothing specific to strive for”.

This is why I’d for example love a Minecraft-like with Terrarias mechanics but still first person. Go to more dangerous area, beat up some boss, get better gear so you can take on something bigger and badder for better stuff.

It’s also why I grow really bored at max level in MMOs, I like the levelling, I can’t improve my character, it feels stale.

2. Kollega says:

I still remember the first time I played Just Cause 2. The marketing campaign for that wasn’t nearly as sweeping, so the opening two missions were completely unspoiled for me. They played like an awesome linear shooter, with the vast mountain fortress in the first and the casino towers followed by the car chase in the second… and then I was dropped into the open world and told to pretty much go and do whatever, which was awesome for entirely different reasons.

Say what you want about JC2, but it was both a proper open-world game, and it managed to be more cinematic in the main story missions than some of the allegedly “cinematic” games that keep coming out. Hopefully, JC3 will emphasize that quality even further, since there are (AFAIK) 25 main story missions instead of 7.

3. mikmanner says:

Does anyone agree that the shooting in these games feels quite shallow and boring? I loved just flying through the environment in JC2 and making things explode but everything else felt mechanically stale. I also found the story and missions to be tedious and it doesn’t look like anything else has changed with JC3. However there’s a wingsuit and a new island to fly through so I guess I’ll be playing it.

• gunny1993 says:

The missions based around the set pieces are amazing, like iirc JC2 had one where you board a train and hijack some stuff. The ones that are just go to X kill everyone, go away from X, are pretty lame.

4. Hunchback says:

I’ve never played any of the JC games, they always seemed… weird to me. So i decided to check the video, something i never do with other games, just so that i get an idea what it’s all about.

Oh man, i didn’t manage to finish this video, it’s so annoying! :D
    This game is so absurd and ridiculous on so many levels that i won’t even start to comment on it. And sadly it’s not in a good way, like Saint’s Row.

• Smoof says:

Just Cause 2 (and hopefully 3) is basically True Lies: The Game

It’s basically the closest you’ll get to playing an Arnold flick from the early to mid 90’s.

• rcguitarist says:

Except for Saint’s Row 4…that was terrible. (I loved both 2 and 3 btw).

5. pistachio says:

Best thing of this video : an interesting cover of Prodigy’s Firestarter.

6. Gap Gen says:

Wait, Rico works for the CIA and *removes* dictators? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on there. Do his bosses know?

• Kollega says:

Rico isn’t working for the CIA anymore in this one, apparently. And technically, his line of work in the first two games is “Regime Change in 7 Days”, we just never see the after-party. Make of that what you will :P

Graham Smith says:

It’s mentioned explicitly in Just Cause 2 that, with the dictator removed, they will insert a ‘US-friendly’ leader in Panau.

• Kollega says:

Yeah, I remembered that – I just meant we never see what kind of Hilarious Mischief™ the Agency got up to in San Esperito and later Panau after Rico was done with them.

• Belsameth says:

If I had coffee, I would’ve had it coming out my nose while in this full train I am in. They’d be cross with you. Very cross!

7. Rumpelstiltskin says:

The concept that “liberating” an area gives you extra points for causing as much chaos and destruction as possible sounds vaguely familiar.
    Also, funny how they made the regime’s flag a blend between Assad’s and Syrian rebels’ flags.

8. Papageno says:

I don’t remember Rico Rodriguez having a foreign accent in the previous game’s cutscenes. Did he? Was it quasi-Italian?

IJC says:

Although he had a rather strong accent, I didn’t think it was Italian. But 3 has a different voice actor for Rico anyways.

• Papageno says:

Hmm, I think I liked the previous guy’s voice work better. This guy’s accent sounds a bit on the faked side.

9. SuicideKing says:

System requirements are up:

Hi guys,

These are the final Just Cause 3 PC specs:

Minimum Specifications
    OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, 3.3 Ghz | AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3 Ghz
    Memory: 6GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) | AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB)

Recommended Specifications
    OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB Ram
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) | AMD R9 290 (4GB)