Less Retro, Same City Rampage: Shakedown Hawaii

After romping through ’80s and early ’90s pop culture in the 8-bit-styled Retro City Rampage, developers Vblank Entertainment are skipping forward a few years. They’ve announced Shakedown Hawaii [official site], a follow-up open-world murder simulator which skips towards a 16-bit art style and, I’d imagine, later into ’90s pop culture. Presumably the Back to the Future references are now Back to the Future Part III references, and everyone’s going on about whether they’re a Rachel or a Monica (someone once called me a Phoebe and I was APPALLED). Look, here’s the first trailer:

Details are slim right now, but here’s what Vblank head honch Brian Provinciano says about it on the PlayStation Blog (yes, it definitely is coming to PC too):

“Shakedown Hawaii brings the Vblank open world universe into the 16-bit era, powered up with destructible environments and an arsenal of supercharged weapons. Taking place some thirty years after the events of Retro City Rampage, the game follows The Player as he comes out of early retirement to rebuild his neglected corporate empire.”

No word yet on when Shakedown Hawaii will launch, but Vblank are showing it at some PlayStation thing next weekend so we should hear more soon-ish. For now, hey, go check out Wot Alec Thought of the original retro love-in. Maybe it’s telling that this first Shakedown Hawaii trailer is lighter on references, aware they’re not enough.

1. funkstar says:

Is the name supposed to sound like Hotline Miami?
    While I loved the idea of RCR I could just never get into it. To me it never did any of the gameplay styles it was parodying/paying homage to well enough

• funkstar says:

I think I should have watched the trailer before I asked that question.

2. melerski says:

I wish the cars weren’t so slow and could slide into corners.

3. Turkey says:

If it’s supposed to be the ’90s, then the soundtrack needs more amen breaks.

• funkstar says:

Its thirty years after RCR, which was set in ’85, so this is set in present day. Which means in the SH world the royalties for the Amen Break are finally going somewhere :D

• funkstar says:

edit: oops, he was teleported from 1985 to 20XX according to wiki

4. The Masta says:

What if you’re a Ross or a Joey?

• El Mariachi says:

Then there’s no hope for you. (I like how you preëmptively completely discounted the possibility of being a Chandler though.)

5. Jay Load says:

I thought I’d really like the first one but was hugely frustrated by the way the gameplay was presented. HERE’S A NEW THING! DO THIS! Five seconds later….HERE’S ANOTHER NEW THING! WATCH WHILE I DO IT THEN YOU DO IT!!! Five seconds later….A NEW THING!!!!! AWESOME!!! OH WAIT – CUTSCENE!!!!

I assume it would have settled down at some point so I could learn and experiment in my own time but the absolute barrage of early information was too much. It’s like the game was designed by people with NO attention span whatsoever.

syllopsium says:

Uninspired trailer. I’m playing through RCR on PC and 3DS and it’s fun, if unforgiving.

The look is 16 bit, the sound effects and music don’t seem very 90s. More importantly, it plays exactly the same as RCR – for it to succeed it needs to offer something new.

I also agree that it doesn’t quite nail the homages; I’ve played through the Paperboy and Impossible Mission homages so far, amongst others, and neither really match up, or are that funny.