Total War: Warhammer Trailer Shows Campaign Map

I’ve yet to watch any of the Total War: Warhammer trailers, because I know nowt about Warhammer and so normally leave that kind of thing to Adam. I do like a good map though, and the latest trailer shows the game’s campaign map for the first time in between scenes of battle.

This brief glimpse will be followed up next week with a more detailed walkthrough, presumably showing how angry Orcs like to manage their cities and distribute supplies and the like.

There have been about a dozen videos of the game thus far, either introducing new races or walking through the real-time battles. It looks very pretty, although it’s worth noting that the above footage is technically an “in-engine cinematic” so maybe not reflective of what the campaign map will look like in the finished game. Props to Creative Assembly, however, for being so clear about their trailer terminology.

The big angry Orc screaming at the end of the trailer is Grimgor Ironhide, by the way. Adam is unwell today which is why we’re all stuck with me writing this post.

Total War: Warhammer [official site] is The Creative Assembly smooshing the turn-based and real-time battles of their normally historical Total War series against the orcs and goblins of Games Workshop’s Warhammer fantasy series. That’s the one that doesn’t have Space Marines, I think.

Get well soon, Adam. Total War Warhammer is due for release on April 28th 2016.

1. ribby says:

I still say screw them for making Chaos day one DLC/ a pre-order bonus

• Aetylus says:

I too say screw them! And then a giant seething greedy mass at the back of my brain say… “Total Waaaaarhammer… you muuuussst buy it…. its too preeety”. And the poor sad beaten part of my brain that normally rationally controls spending reaches for my wallet and opens the locks… “Take the lot… I give up… I can’t compete with the overwhelm nickle and diming force that is CA+GW”.

• elbandito says:

Exactly the same here! I hate the DLC marketing angle but really want to play over-the-top fantasy battles in the TW engine.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

This is why Paradox will never do a Games Workshop game, they only ever stuff stuff at the price it’s worth.

• Carlos Danger says:

I really and truly hope you stick to your guns and DO NOT buy this game. Please just don’t do it.

Addition by subtraction for the win.

• DwarfJuggler says:

As much as I don’t like DLC their argument as to why it was a thing is valid. Unfortunately I would prefer them having other things added into a pre order instead of a pretty integral part of the warhammer universe being left out to people who buy a warhammer game.

Would be like buying Rome 2 Total War and not letting you be able to play as the barbarians attacking Rome.

• Chiron says:

Yarr matey

2. Sathure says:

I totally want to try playing as a Diplomatic Orc faction.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Which should be a complete disaster leading to all your orcs rebelling, tearing your kingdom apart and replacing you with somebody bigger and more bloodthirsty :)

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

The only diplomacy orcs practice is tagging along with an army because they want to fight someone else more. And at some point they’re liable to turn around and fight their ‘allies’.

That and bashing heads to make a point.

• Hunchback says:

Orc diplomacy usually involves axes… right?

3. Ufofighter says:

Looks like it follows the Shogun 2 and Rome 2 path’s, a very beautiful map which in reality is a bunch of pipelines and choke points to hide how stupid is the campaing IA. Will see.

4. BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, I preordered Rome 2. Fool me once…

No thanks, didn’t buy Attila, and not buying this.

• TofuZombie says:

I’ve pre-ordered every TW game since and including the first Rome game.

They’ve had a whole lot of issues, I was even unable to play Rome 2 for about 8 months. I mean, completely incapable of playing.

Attila was the first smooth release, I feel quietly confident that Total Warhammer will follow suit.

• GeminiathXL says:

That’s hilarious, considering Atilla was glorious at release and improves by the day. But I guess it’s easier to just keep remembering that one fluke of a game (which has been fixed and more by the time of writing) and ignore any comebacks.

Seriously, you’re not hurting CA. You’re hurting yourself as a gamer (assuming you enjoy the TW series at all that is).

• Kristopherholm says:

Lol, Rome 2 was not the fluke. As for Attila being playable at launch it should have been as IT WAS THE EXPANSION for rome 2. As Rome 2 was so TERRIBLE they had to distance themselves from it and so what should have been an expansion was a stand alone game. (as for it running smoothly is sure should have seeing as how they had the code already fixed for the game it was supposed to be added to)

5. Jorum says:

That’s the main concern I have. Fed up with AI that can’t even play it’s own game.
    Maybe this time they’ll get an AI that can handle sieges with more tactics than “mill around in circles while while getting shot to death”.

• BlackMageSK says:

Find a good friend to play a competitive campaign against. You can switch out the AI for them in any battle and vice versa, makes the experience much better. Did this for both Shogun 2 and Rome 2 and it was great.

• Chiron says:

Its canon

“When in deadly danger, When beset by doubt, Run in little circles, Wave your arms and shout.”

6. mukuste says:

Might have been worth the effort to provide subtitles, I could barely make out a word that guy was saying…

7. Gothnak says:

Who would play human, orc or dward when you can play Chaos? (And i assume Undead?).. :)

Sigh, i guess i have to pre-order to get Chaos, although i didn’t try Rome, i try and miss out every other one as they seem to be like Star Trek films.

• davethejuggler says:

That trailer makes me REALLY wish Warhammer Online had been good. No interest in a total WAAAGH game but I do love the world.

• davethejuggler says:

Err … that was not meant to be a reply. Sorry about that!

• PearlChoco says:

Warhammer Online was good! It was awesome!
        Too bad nobody played it after a couple of months.

• Chiron says:

It certainly looked gorgeous and had some great little missions

• Katar says:

I always found the funny “evil” armies far more interesting then Chaos or Undead in Warhammer, and I didn’t really care for the “evil” armies in the first place. I’m one of those boring guys who liked High Elves, Wood Elves, Empire, Dwarfs, etc… the boring “good” guys. Though Greenskins and Skaven were quite a laugh.

Luckily I stopped playing actual Warhammer before GW gave up on the “good” guys and concentrated almost exclusively on Chaos and Undead. A bit sad to see the same models being sold now for those “boring” armies that were around when I stopped over 15 years ago, at massive increased prices of course.

Back to Total War and CA DLC, didn’t they sell the pre-order DLC at some point after release for earlier games? I assume that Chaos/Chaos Warriors DLC won’t be locked exclusively to people who pre-ordered. It isn’t the greatest handling of DLC in the world but given I don’t care about that army or buying every piece of DLC for a game I’m not that bothered.

• Kristopherholm says:

It is not about it being Pre-order exclusive, the problem is they dump trash on their customers at launch and have a game to polish (and a launch to prove they can handle) before trying to fleece people for extra money. Also when you consider this is a planned trilogy of games ($180 for base game) what excuse do they have for ANY core faction to be DLC. Too many fluff factions to DLC for there to be an excuse for core content to be gated off or cut pre launch.

• Katar says:

The game hasn’t been released yet so it’s a bit premature to claim it is trash without having even played it. I expect it will be broken, but then the artists and animators won’t be fixing game bugs or the AI will they? They would be sitting around not doing much. Yes pre-order DLC sucks rather then it being free, but given your insistence the game is going to be trash and also very expensive why not wait until it is all out, patched up and sold in a much cheaper bundle? It’s what I do for games I think are too expensive at launch.

Also the faction in the DLC is Chaos Warriors, not actually Chaos. Now it’s been a long time since I played Warhammer, from before Chaoa was split up, so I’m not really sure what a Warrior army list looks like. From my experience playing I could only come up with possibly five or six units for that army list, but they could have added some variety since I played, and that seems like a perfect faction for some “fluff” DLC and a stretch to call them a “core” faction that should be in the base game.

Now if I’m wrong and they are the only Chaos faction that is going to be in the whole finished game and expansions, then I’d agree with you they probably shouldn’t be DLC.

8. exile2k4 says:

I guess I’m kinda slow on the uptake here, but as someone who was really into GW stuff in the late 80s/early 90s, I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t nostalgically excited by all the GW games that are coming out, regardless of their individual quality. I think for me what’s missing from all of them is the ability to personalise things. Even when they became much more of a brand with an official look, I always felt that with the miniatures and board/tabletop games I could make them what I wanted them to be. TWWH looks like it’s captured the GW look really well, but it’s made me realise how much it’s a look that I don’t personally like.

9. Blastaz says:

I’m waiting till they show the campaign play properly as a) that is where I spend 95% of my time in a tw game and b) for it to make lore sense it’s going to require massive changes. How do cities/conquest/resources work etc…

In other news they have announced a new dlc for Attila: Charlemagne! That could be really fun, I want to play the multiplayer CK2 game where battles are resolved in tw!

• Hedgeclipper says:

“I want to play the multiplayer CK2 game where battles are resolved in tw!”

I’m throwing all the money at the screen. All of it!

10. Turkey says:

That goblin better be the narrator for the tutorial.

11. Inajira says:

I’m a great fan of TW but I’ll wait a year or so for the usual bundle version with all DLC and pre-order whatever. I’m still finishing off my first Rome 2 campaign and looking forward to Attila. It really pays to be behind.

12. sapien82 says:

Do you think gamers of the world will unite and on the release date of these new shiny games we will refuse to buy it in order to make a stand against the DLC model !

Do you think its possible or would we always lose because there is always some dickhead with more money than sense who would spoil it !

Out of all the gatherings of humans I think gamers could be the group to unite on a global scale

Captain Narol says:

You should give a try to “Mordheim : City of the Damned”, your whole band is customisable in that one !

Captain Narol says:

Oops that was an answer to exile2k4…