Rainbow Six Siege Open Beta Delayed By Bug

You know how the open beta test for Ubisoft’s wall-breaching tactical FPS Rainbow Six Siege [official site] is meant to be going on now? By this point, you should’ve been gleefully barrelling through walls, turning floors into doors, and generally murdering people. Alas, technical problems popped up, and Ubisoft have kept the beta closed for a while longer while they figure it out. No firm word yet on when it will launch.

“Game sessions are not starting properly and we’ve encountered server issues, leading to failed connections,” Ubisoft explain. “We’ve identified the root issue that was introduced after the Technical Test while fixing a separate aspect of the game.”

They had hoped to fix it and launch the open beta yesterday, but that didn’t work out. They promise another status update today at around 10am EST, which is 3pm our time. That’s fine – I’m working right now anyway. Working real hard. I’ll prove it by typing words right here. See? Working.

This is what you want from an open beta, right? You want the devs to find and fix big connectivity problems before the game launches. Yes, they’re nice opportunities to get a taste of a game (demos are so rare these days, especially for multiplayer games), but they are also tests.

Siege is due to launch on December 1st. Ubi say they’re “confident” it’ll be fine by then.

1. mukuste says:

The word on Reddit is that the server issues are much, much better now after the prolonged maintenance they had last night.

Me, during the maintenance last night I got around to installing Insurgency and found that it’s a better and more exciting game at a fraction of the price…

• Kitsunin says:

Yes, and it’s also er, completely and utterly different.

• msing says:

Yeah I was going to say the same.

It’s a good game, I just wish it was close quarters, intense and quick. Basically CoD4 promod.

• mukuste says:

Both are tactical shooters in a modern setting featuring special forces vs terrorists, communication, positioning and flanking are important in both of them… care to explain how they are completely different? The destruction in Siege is the big new feature, granted, but otherwise they are pretty comparable.

• Kitsunin says:

I mean, to describe just how Insurgency is different would be a pain in the arse because there are a lot of reasons and many are subtle, but I mean it’s really damn obvious. Siege is much closer to Counter-Strike than Insurgency, so it’s a silly place to start anyway.

• mukuste says:

You just pulled the old “I know but I’m not telling” playground stratagem. And Insurgency is definitely closer to CS than Siege is.

• Kitsunin says:

Yes, Insurgency is closer to Counter-Strike than it is to Siege, just like Siege is closer to Counter-Strike than it is to Insurgency. I’m not going to waste my time explaining why they’re different, but I’ll give you an exercise to show why it’s a waste of time:

How is Insurgency not the same thing as Counter-Strike? The answer is both obvious and a pain in the arse to put to words, isn’t it? One thing you’ll likely find is that several answers to that question also apply to Siege, so you can answer your own question to an extent in so doing.

• TheRaptorFence says:

Put my thoughts down below, meant to reply here.

• Smion says:

Pfft. Them Doom-Clones look all the same to me.

2. melnificent says:

It seems to have had a good optimisation pass. Can get 4k/60 on a 290x with just a couple of tweaks to shadows.

3. TheRaptorFence says:

Fine, I’ll put some words on the differences down.

Insurgency, for all the love I have for it, is a hardcore multiplayer. I hesitate to say tactical, because other than a quick TTK and slightly jankier gunplay it doesn’t promote tactics on a team level.

The metagame of both CS and RS:S are based around preplanning; for Siege, it’s choosing the right operators, sites, and placement of traps/reinforcements. For CS, it’s knowing the layout of the map, what to buy, when to buy, how movement works, etc. Coupled with small teams and perma-death in rounds, communication becomes way more key than the fragfest of Insurgency, where a person can run through the whole round without saying anything. A person does that in CS or RS:S, they’re liable to get kicked.

So yes, it’s very simple. Setting and gunplay mean nothing compared to the metagame. Otherwise, Battlefield 1942 and Red Orchestra might as well be the same game, under your logic.

• TheRaptorFence says:

Meant for mukuste, sorry. Stupid reply function and all that.

• mukuste says:

Doesn’t promote tactics on a team level? Smoke grenades and suppression to support a push are all about team cooperation.

• TheRaptorFence says:

They could, but it’s often a question of if they do. The meta in CS:GO and RS:S is much different in that regard than Insurgency, where you could play it tactically or you could play it more solo. CS:GO and RS:S don’t just discourage that meta in ranked, it’s outright suicide. And Insurgency’s meta doesn’t really encourage teamplay as much as not acknowledge it. You could do it, and probably do better overall, but if you don’t want to, don’t worry about it. And one guy can seriously carry a team in that game, where long sight lanes and peeking means a good player can lock down the other 16. I’ve been playing RS:S since technical, and I could count the amount of times I’ve seen a single player carry a round on one hand.

Here’s a better way to put it. What does Insurgency’s community look like? A lot of members who enjoy military tactical shooters. What does CS:GO’s community look like? A lot of people who enjoy eSports. RS:S is not catering to the military crowd as much as the eSports crowd, and a bit of casual thrown in the mix. So yeah, when I see people compare RS:S to tactical shooters, I roll my eyes. Yes, it’s tactical, but in a way that reminds me more of CS:GO or MOBAs before Insurgency.

4. Kitsunin says:

The open beta just started, by the way.