Batman: Arkham Knight Drops New Batpatch

Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] returned to sale in October, after months of work fixing the poor performance that saw it pulled from sale. It was still wonky. That’s a shame, becase it’s a pretty good game according to our Adam. Work still continues, and this week has brought another patch which fixes more things but, apparently, still has issues.

Pore over the patch notes and you’ll find bug fixes big and small, as well as encouraging notes like “Improved VRAM management to reduce framerate hitches”.

Scroll down to the comments on those notes, though, and you’ll find some folks saying this patch finally fixes the game for them, but also some complaining that it had been playable for them before but this update turned it all stuttery. That Eurogamer lot whipped their calculators, multimeters, oscilloscopes, and scanning electron microscopes and drew the conclusion that yep, it’s still wonky.

Maybe it’ll always be wonky. I wonder when they’ll declare it ‘done enough’. They’ve already given up on multi-GPU support.

Publishers Warner Bros. are offering refunds on Arkham Knight until the end of the year, regardless of how much you’ve played it.

1. Jokerme says:

Let’s not forget the main point here folks. Rocksteady made a nice, but it was only for consoles. Some other people ported it to PC, possibly with minimal resources thanks to WB and it ended up being booger.

There is a lesson here somewhere.

• Jokerme says:

*Roacksteady made a nice GAME.

I accidentally a word.

• mukuste says:

What’s the lesson? Buy a console? Don’t let third party studios port our games? I’m at a loss here.

• Tinotoin says:

I took it as inferring ‘don’t let this debacle tarnish any positive feelings you have about Rocksteady’.

• ANeM says:

Rocksteady are the ones who have been failing to fix anything for the past 4 months. Rocksteady are the ones who promised they’d halt work on DLC until it was fixed. Rocksteady are the ones who continued work on DLC regardless of that promise. Rocksteady are the ones who said there would be more performance fixes between the interim patch and the re-release. Rocksteady are the ones who put out a patch between the interim patch and re-release that didn’t include any real performance fixes, and instead just added DLC support and had handy little “fixes” in the patch notes such as “Buy more ram” and “try turning it off and on again.”

Rocksteady didn’t make this mess, but it doesn’t feel like they’ve really put in an effort to fix it either.

• rubmon says:

Never pre-ordering would be a start.

• rabbit says:

this guy gets it

• crazyd says:

That’s a weird lesson to take, since there were 0 consequences for pre-ordering. I pre-ordered, got to try the game out, and then got my money back. This game is a sign that pre-ordering is now a-ok. Well, through Steam at least, but if the game is a big enough fuck up, even other sites will allow returns!

2. airtekh says:

I can only speak from personal experience, but I spent the last week or so before this patch playing Arkham Knight and didn’t run into any major problems.

I liked it well enough for it to be one of my favourite games this year. Very enjoyable.

• Fenixp says:

It sort of exploderized for me any time I tried to change it above default settings (ridiculously so), but playing on default gives me steady 60 FPS (so it’s not really default, but almost) And yeah, it’s actually by far my favorite Batman game. While GOTY will remain with Pillars of Eternity, Arkham Knight is somewhere up there – we’ll see how will ending change my opinion, I’m collecting riddler trophies right at this moment

DuncUK says:

I had no major problems with the release version and every patch since has only made it better (a steady 90 FPS). I’ve long since finished the game now, but I’m nervous that if I fire up this latest patch it’ll all have been reduced to a slideshow.

3. PikaBot says:

This patch resolved pretty much all of the performance issues I’d been experiencing. I still get the occasional hitch and it won’t run about 30 FPS but that’s much more down to me running it on a laptop that’s really not built for that sort of heavy lifting.

Damn good game, too. Arguably the best of the Arkham series.

4. racccoon says:

The game is fine and well made.

The only lesson here is…

DON”T LISTEN TO BULLSHIT LITTLE RANTING STEAMIES!!

5. icarussc says:

Tastes differ, but this was my game of the year, beating out its rivals DA: Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor, Endless Legend, and Alphabear.