Dragon’s Dogma Trailer Clambers Up A Cyclops

Capcom’s party-based action-RPG Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen [official site] sounds great, from what I’ve heard, a weird new surprise from a company who spend too long mining former glories. I’m sold simply on the idea of you and your AI pals clambering up big beasties to stab soft spots, really. I was writing for a multiplatform site when Dragon’s Dogma first came out on consoles, so I’ve seen a whole lot of it, but maybe you haven’t? Here, watch this new video that’s somewhere between an introduction and a collection of tips:

That’s pretty swish-looking combat for a party-based RPG, isn’t it? Look, I could ramble on, but instead I’ll point you towards the comments on our last Dragon’s Dogma post, from folks who played it on console. You’ll learn all you want to know about fighting goblins in dark nights lit only by burning goblins, laser bows, and acquiring cyclops eyes by clambering up cyclops and gouging out their eyes. I get excited about a game when everyone who’s played it gushes about a different bit.

Dragon’s Dogma is coming to Windows via Steam in January, priced at £23.99/€29.99/$29.99. The PC version will look prettier, Capcom say, and support keyboard and mouse as well as Xbox controllers.

1. Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, it’s not looking like a PC Master Race port or anything, but I don’t really care. The texture quality was fairly weak for a PS3 game at the time, but the art direction and worldbuilding were good enough I was happy to overlook it. Put it this way, much as I love what I’ve played of The Wild Hunt, I would be very hard-pressed to pick between it and DD if I had to. And I might well pick DD. It was pretty obvious its “world” was just a series of very large rooms, but nearly all of them were crafted so well it gave the sense of a much bigger, more naturalistic world than was really there.

• Ringwraith says:

Honestly, being able to go the blacksmith in town without having to stand around for ten seconds waiting for him to load in would be great.
      It wasn’t the prettiest game, although you’re more there for the monsters, and what a wonderfully-realised selection of the Greek mythology bestiary it has.

Speaking of large rooms, the more dungeon-like segments were really neat, if few and far between, and Dark Arisen added an a massive dungeon with huge rooms to explore, so that was nice. Even if they did copy-paste that several times too, but often with enough changes to force you to approach it much differently.

• mavrik says:

I played it on PS3 and while I did enjoy it, it was very noticable that the hardware just can’t keep up and the blurriness of objects/monsters in the distance due to low resolution was really annoying.

So this port is very welcome.

2. trjp says:

It’s not a bad game on the 360/PS3 but it’s got that classic JRPG-in-3d jankiness which I don’t think will sell to PC players too-well

Dark Souls had that but the game systems within it were unique and – well – that’s not really here.

Your AI companions swing from useful to outright liabilities – encounters are random and lots of stuff is straight from the uncanny valley.

Dialog ranges from interesting to weird to outright otherworldly and there’s a definite sense of “what the hell” about quite a lot of it.

We’ll see – there’s a LOT about Dark Souls which PC players would complain bitterly about but don’t for some reason (unfair deaths, weightless skeletons, terrible pathfinding and so on) so who knows

IJC says:

obligatory *rant about dark souls being totally fair*

• Ringwraith says:

Quite often is!
        Sometimes it’s not, at least not without trial-and-error, and some of the checkpoint placement for that is terrible.

IJC says:

ALso it’s kind of a dick move to make two of the hidden bonfires the ones closest to bosses (Iron Golem and Bed of Chaos). And with bed of chaos, it indeed is still quite a stretch away.

• Kitsunin says:

Don’t forget Pinwheel! That wasn’t a terribly difficult fight (iirc I won on my first try) but actually getting there without the hidden bonfire, dear lord.

• Assirra says:

See people say that and i disagree. Sure when you KNOW what happens you will automatically look out more for it and it seems fair.
        It is the same as when you watch a movie with subtitles and you get the illusion you know more of the spoken language because you see what it means.

• Ringwraith says:

Although then you have things like Bed of Chaos which has makes you trudge through a massive patch every single time you die, and die you will. Often.
          It wouldn’t be nearly as much of a problem if the bonfire to come back at was just outside.

IJC says:

Hm, agreed. I mean, most of the time you can survive with quick reflexes, but often the enemies are just too fast/unpredictable. Still, you could always survive If you had your shield up constantly – but that just isn’t fun. Second playtrough is the best anyways, because you know what to level and which items do what.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There’s a lot of environmental traps that you cannot possibly know about on the first play-through, unless you get a heads up from another player. Which is probably the point but still incredibly irritating.

The slippery bridges in Crystal Caves and the mimic in Sen’s both come to mind.

• Rednecksith says:

Sen’s Fortress. Seriously, screw that place. Pitch dark, strong enemies lurking about, and giant stony balls of death rolling around everywhere. And barely any clue as to where to go, leading to a hundred deaths from trial and error.

Never got past it, actually. That area just sucked the fun right out.

• bit.bat says:

I thought it was a departure from the usual feel of JRPGs where it usually feels like your character is gliding and bouncing off a movie set. In this one you can jump and clamber all over the place and the animation really connects the characters to their environments. This makes the game much more chaotic than your usual JRPG but I thought it was part of its charm.

3. jj2112 says:

It’s a good game, with varied and interesting monsters to fight, and going out at night was really scary and dangerous. That’s what I don’t like about Wild Hunt, nights are clear as day.

4. MikoSquiz says:

Ooh. I’ve been waiting for PS3 and X360 prices to go down to “oh, just have mine, I don’t use it any more” so I could play this, but looks like I won’t have to.

I love Japanese takes on WRPGs. Best of both worlds. They’re as delectable as Western JRPGs are ghastly.

5. grve says:

Looks like a fine medi-janky stopgap until Daku Soru Suri. My body is ready.

6. Chillicothe says:

Sen’s Fortress is good spice, I will not have it maligned!

DD was one of those J-gaming greats I passed on from not touching home consoles for a good long bit that I’m now getting back to with PC ports and remasters.

Also I’ve been told to not expect Souls and to expect DMC1/3/4 combat instead.

• Ringwraith says:

It’s far mashier if you’re on the physical end of the spectrum.
      The spells are something else though, they can get ridiculously grand.
      You won’t be bouncing around in the air all the time though, so it’s certainly not DMC level.

• EhexT says:

Some of the original Devil May Cry dudes worked on this and it shows. Stinger, Helmbreaker and Million Stab are all in the game as is frame cancelling (it’s a rogue ability – instantly cancel back to neutral at the cost of stamina) and proper action combat.

Combined with the best Mage spells in a real time RPG and a “climb into anything” system like Shadow of the Colossus.

• EhexT says:

Climb Onto, obviously. It’s not that kind of Japanese game.

7. Josh W says:

My memory of this game is of having a series of minders far more invested in completing the main quest than I was, trying to hurry me over large relatively open spaces between interesting things. But when I got somewhere interesting, I could grab onto the underarm of a griffon or something and stab it, possibly while on fire? Certainly while my previous minders fired stuff at it. I also seem to remember being able to launch off companions to climb giants, which was pretty cool.

Basically there’s a series of hazy memories of lovely moments, like a slightly more rubbery and chaotic shadow of the colossus, mixed into a slightly monotonous overall world.

8. SlimShanks says:

Looks sweet.

Aerothorn says:

Played and enjoyed on PS3, but by the time I got around to it the “pawn rental” system was sort of busted – not enough active players relative to pawns, so I could rent people’s pawns but my pawn never got rented :(

I really should return to it someday.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Pawn rental wasn’t a big deal. You would log in and you’d get a few gold or items you could get in the game otherwise.

10. Sulpher says:

Let’s ask the obligatory PC gamelord questions: What sort of video options will be supported? I hope we can disable the letterboxing. Also, can anyone offer their experiences with prior Capcom PC ports?

11. Raoul Duke says:

For some reason the ungrammatical “dragon’s dogma” really irritates me.