PlayStation 4 Remote Play Officially Coming To PC

As was made abundantly clear last month, the modern age has failed us by way of flying DeLoreans, hoverboards, and self-drying, self-fitting jackets. The wonder of playing games remotely, on the other hand, is very much a reality. The Steam Link plays PC games on TVs, Xbox One games can be mirrored on Windows 10, and upcoming official PlayStation 4 Remote Play support will let folks play on their PS4 through Windows and Mac computers. Great Scott! It’s already here unofficially, mind.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been displaced from in front of the living room telly in favour of River City or Pointless or whichever reality TV garbage of the day my girlfriend insists on watching. Is watching me selfishly fumble through Bloodborne not entertaining enough, I ask? Perhaps a similar situation applies to you too, or perhaps you’d just fancy a wee change of scenery by playing your PlayStation on your PC. Remote Play will grant you just that.

“Some people asked if we plan to provide Remote Play function to PC, and yes, we are indeed working on an official application for PC/Mac. :D” said Sony’s Worldwide Studios top dog Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter today. If this sort of thing’s your bag then :D indeed.

Sony launched its Remote Play service alongside the PS4 at the tail end of 2013. Championed as an alternative way to play with a second screen, games were streamed onto the PS Vita handheld via Wi-Fi as the two systems swapped information and inputs behind the scenes. PC-wise there’s nothing more to go on at the moment, besides the aforementioned tweet.

Earlier this week, an unofficial PC implimentation of Remote Play was rolled out by Twisted, who’d been working on the part-time project for over a year. This, of course, could have forced Sony’s hand to make such a hasty official announcement. If you’d rather not wait for something official, this’ll cost you £6.50/$10.

1. Zanchito says:

That archive photo confuses me. It must be old as heck, given the monitor, CD cases and joystick. But the game photoshopped on the screen looks like Bloodborne which is rather new. And doesn’t even have a PC port. And wouldn’t work on that kind of joystick anyway.

That archive photo confuses me.

• Alice O'Connor says:

It’s a holdover from my days at Shacknews. We saw it in, I think, a PC Gaming Alliance report and fell instantly in love. We’d use it as often as we could get away with. It is adaptable to any PC gaming scenario. The tools of my trade are simple: laptop; Internet; pc_gaming.jpg.

• Headwuend says:

There’s got to be a context where the screen shows Geralt in the tub…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I did a Google search for “pc_gaming.jpg.” The picture above shows up obviously… as does Geralt in a wooden tub!

• Bull0 says:

1) the alt-text explains all
      2) doesn’t need a PC port, this article is about PS4 remote play

• SanguineAngel says:

It is a wonderful photo that every time I have seen it in a different article has seen the woman playing a different game of improbable chronology

• ansionnach says:

I wonder what game would best suit the photo? Perhaps…
      Wing Commander 2
      or…
      Any text adventure?

distantlurker says:

That’s a really good question! Shouting into a headset screams online gamer but post 2000 for ISDN connection. That said, CRT says not after 2005 ‘cos what self respecting fragger would have one after that? The joystick really narrows it down.

I think Battlefield 2 fits tho.

Wisq says:

Honestly, I held out with (multiple) CRTs until at least 2010, in large part because I worried about latency and ghosting issues.

• ansionnach says:

Well spotted on the headset. Some good suggestions there. Did an image search and there were plenty of versions of this with some sort of racing game on the screen. Doesn’t look like GP2, anyway.

• Zenicetus says:

The joystick hints at air combat, space combat, or maybe a mech cockpit, which was more popular back then. No throttle quadrant for the left hand, which suggests the player isn’t heavily invested in flight sims. I’d go for either Freespace 2 or Mech Warrior 2. Both had multiplayer support, IIRC.

It would be interesting to know what they actually did have on the monitor in the original photo, since this looks like a highly posed stock photo shoot. Knowing how ad agencies work, it was probably Tetris or Solitaire.

• bedel says:

this seems to be a version of the original.
          link to engadget.com

• ansionnach says:

She’s legally required to wear glasses to drive, but it’s okay if she sits forward a little.

• Zenicetus says:

Hah! A racing sim. Well, that shows ‘ya how off the radar that whole genre is for me. I forgot those could be played with joysticks.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That looks shopped to me. Then again, the original was likely shot with the monitor off so it would not mess with the lighting.

• LionsPhil says:

There isn’t a green LED to be seen anywhere on it, but then again with the angle and curvature it might not necessarily be visible anyway. (Y’see, kiddos, back in the day, indicator LEDs could be only bright enough to let you see that they were lit, rather than little blue nuclear flashes to bling up everything in a five mile radius…)

• Jekhar says:

Back then in the dark DOS ages, i actually played racing games with joystick. Up until NFS2 i think. It was the only analogue control available to me, i don’t think there were any analogue (much less dual stick) pads around for pc anyway.

• Geebs says:

Dwarf Fortress

• yoggesothothe says:

I’ve seen this stock photo used ironically several times before on several different gaming sites and it cracks me up every time; it’s essentially an in-joke at this point that’s passed around in the relatively small circle that is games journalism, I suspect.

None of it makes sense, along the lines of how whenever individuals are portrayed playing “games” in most media, regardless of if they’re playing on a circa 90s gameboy or a current generation console, the sound effects are always 8 bit chip doodly doo sounds. Tighten up the graphics, etc.

• Pantalaimon says:

It’s an amazing stock photo and I just knew the first comment would be asking about it too! (because I was thinking the same thing)

I want to say that I remember seeing this a decade ago in print, but back then most stock gaming.jpgs all looked like this. It just makes you wonder who was responsible for shooting them and did they realise about all the anachronisms.

2. mukuste says:

Is there even an official way to connect the PS4 controller to the PC? Will they support other controllers?

• Christo4 says:

You can use any DS4 controller and use DS4windows wrapper or whatever it’s called, works like a charm.

• Christo4 says:

Forgot to mention that it emulates the xbox 360 controller

• Spider Jerusalem says:

And most big games these days have native DS4 support, I’ve found (or patch it in soonly like TW3).

I hardly have to run DS4 anymore.

• RCoon says:

Nope, not without that DS3/MotionJoy workaround. It’s great though, I can use 3 PS3 controllers and an XBox 360 controller at the same time on my Steam streaming machine without a problem.

• Keios says:

Or install the SCP drivers and have it work without all of the extra malware shite that comes with MotionInJoy.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yes. The DS4 uses bluetooth so all you need is a dongle to connect and a micro USB cable to charge the controller. It does work using wired, but the connection is pretty loose and will disconnect on you.

As far as game support goes, some do but most don’t which is why it helps to use a program like InputMapper to trick your computer into thinking it is a 360 controller. As a bonus, with these programs you can use the touchpad as a mouse input which is helpful for PC-centric menus. There is a weird conflict with Windows 10 where you cannot run the controller in exclusive mode (your computer will think there are two controllers connected if not in exclusive) and a few games will not work. There’s a fix where you create a task that temporarily disables Windows Explorer while you connect your controller. I’ve only encountered one game (Dark Souls) where this is an issue.

This all sounds very complicated but trust me it isn’t. Once you get everything working it’s just a matter of running a program and pushing a button on the controller.

3. Jokerme says:

Remote Play is good for Vita, but that’s all. The hype surrounding this trivial technology is beyond me. Same as Steam Link.

• lylebot says:

With this technology, when I’m at my office with some downtime, I can play my PS4 games on my big desktop monitor rather than on a tiny Vita screen. What’s not to like?

• iainl says:

It means I can play Destiny while Mrs. L is watching Criminal Minds. Which is nice.

• BlackMageSK says:

It’s for people with first world problems, like me. How else can I play my PC games from my luxurious gaming rig on my 106 inch projector screen in a different room of my house without lugging my PC out of the office where it is actually useful? A measly $50 link box which uses the existing network infrastructure I already have is a brilliant solution.

• snv says:

Your scenario is sensible, but this articles tech — same as the Windows 10 XBone streaming one — is the totally crazy other way around: Streaming from your weaker machine to the stronger one.

• BlackMageSK says:

Nobody said it has to be a stronger machine though. It just has to play video so I imagine a low power HTPC or laptop could easily do it. So for example if you had a living room TV and a bedroom TV, you could now play your same console on both without moving it around. It’s that whole concept of your entire house’s entertainment being a single entity you could access from anywhere in the house.

• Optimaximal says:

How is it ‘good for Vita’ but not ‘good for my old MacBook that can’t play many games but copes admirably with Steam Streaming (and possibly this Remote Play/Smart Glass)’?

4. Creeping Death says:

I suppose this makes me want to ask… Do most people only have 1 tv in the house? Am I abnormal? :/

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Most people don’t have a house.

Don Reba says:

According to Wikipedia:

Household ownership of television sets in the country is 96.7%, and the majority of households have more than one set.

5. dcarpenter85 says:

So you’re telling me that I can play inferior versions of the games I already run on my PC, remotely, on my PC? Am I the only person who finds streaming from console to PC the dumbest feature of 2015? This should be the other way around. I’d be far more likely to own a PS4 if I could also stream my PC games to it.

• Creeping Death says:

No, you can now play all those games you previously couldnt play, because they were specifically funded by Sony, on your PC.

The real question is why the hell would anyone want to stream a PC game to a PS4? That would be the “dumbest feature of 2015”.

• dcarpenter85 says:

Because some PC gamers would like to play games on their couches without sacrificing half of their frame rate and without a significant reduction in visual fidelity.

• Baines says:

You can also play those games that are for whatever reason are superior on console…

Considering some companies put out inferior PC ports, PC ports missing console features, and ports that don’t even function on a modern OS or have serious issues with certain hardware. (Hi, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition. Hi, most Koei Tecmo ports. Hi, Akiba’s Trip. Hi, Phantom Breakers Battle Ground. Hi, various other games.)

• Baines says:

But ultimately, since you have to own both a PS4 and a PC to do it, I don’t see why someone wouldn’t just buy a second TV. Or just connect their console to their PC monitor.

• welverin says:

Then hook your pc up to the tv.

Wisq says:

Presumably as a replacement for the Steam Link hardware.

Not that you’d buy a whole PS4 just for that, but rather, that you might already have it (or want to buy it for the games) and not have to buy a second device too.

6. Hunchback says:

Why would you play your low-fps, low visual quality games on your PC that can actually properly “play” them in the first place?

(Yes, i know there are exclusives, blast them! But i still find this quite stupid)

• Asurmen says:

Then don’t use it, but there’s definite uses for other people.

• BlackMageSK says:

PC gamers are not the market for this. Any computer which can decode video can do this streaming. Meaning any shitty computer hooked up to any monitor or TV could then duplicate your console. So for people with TVs and monitors everywhere who don’t want to move around a console to switch to playing somewhere else this is ideal.

7. apa says:

Now the real question is: can RPS write about PS games if they can be played on PC?

• Optimaximal says:

They haven’t started writing about Xbone games and you’ve been able to stream stuff on that to the PC since Windows 10 launched.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’d really prefer it if they sang about them, but that’s just me.

Don Reba says:

I must be missing something, but why not simply connect the PS4 to a monitor and speakers?

9. Be_reasonable says:

Can you use a keyboard and mouse with remote play? That’s one reason I like PC gaming.