Rainbow Six Siege Gets Shakespearean Launch Trailer

After a spot of D-Day turbulence that saw the Rainbow Six Siege [official site] open beta delayed, Ubisoft’s tactical FPS has pulled itself from the trenches and is now well into its second day of public testing where it’ll be stationed until Sunday. If you can’t manage along, you might want to whet your military whistle with a look at Siege’s Shakespearean launch trailer below before it launches on Tuesday. Ten-hut!

Is this a machine gun which I see before me, the handle toward my hand?:

Ah, Shakespeare and metaphors.

Luckily, I think, there’s little in the way of 16th century poets in the actual game itself, but Rainbow Six Siege does have plenty in the way of guns, explosive, and tactical options. “Being one of the most complex forms of warfare,” reads the Siege website, “the siege technique requires years of training for elite teams, in order to handle each situation with the right strategies and tactics.”

From what I gathered from Brendan’s hands-on last month, this strategy can involve anything from ploughing through walls to get the jump on foes, to meticulously planning each and every small detail of your attack, and then everything else in between. I’ve not had the chance to play Siege yet, but as I’m a shitebag in these games I like the sound of the freedom you seem to be afforded in both offensive and defensive situations.

Rainbow Six Siege is due for release next Tuesday, December 1st. Head on over here to try the open beta.

1. Turkey says:

British tough guys make everything sound douchey.

2. Kitsunin says:

The open beta seems to have gotten its server/matchmaking issues in order — shortly after it started I was having no end of trouble, now I’m having none (well, there’s one very, very irritating bug, the only way I could get the game to stop broadcasting my mic was by unplugging it).

The game itself is rather fun. The whole breach-and-clear idea sounds like a gimmick, but it really runs through the entirety of the gameplay. All in all, $60 does feel like way too much, and yet I’m still considering the possibility of making it an xmas gift to myself.

3. Bull0 says:

Had a go on the beta. It’s pretty fun! Not entirely clear how much content is in the final game, and it’s fairly hard to justify the price tag for what you’re getting. Really it has all the hallmarks of a freemium game, lots of grinding for unlocks (particularly the character classes that get more expensive as you unlock them, because of reasons) and repetition.

• EhexT says:

Although the amount of matches you have to play to unlock things is incredibly low. It’s no more grindy than CoD. It’s nowhere near a real F2P grind, like the various MOBAs. Most of those expect you to play dozens of (hour long) matches to afford a single character (Heroes of the Storm gives you low triple digit payouts, if you’re playing serious mode, and has costs up to 20k) – while you can grab one of each nation for a single win or two losses in Siege. And the cost only doubles after that – so 4 wins per character for your second one per nation.

• Bull0 says:

The grind is lower but the mechanics are there. In COD the grind is generally tied to in-game accomplishments a bit more directly (such as unlocking attachments by getting kills with the weapon, or unlocking paint schemes by getting headshots, etc). In R6 everything is bought with currency. I don’t like it as much.

• Kitsunin says:

The currency system is so much better. Having to, say, get 200 headshots with x gun in order to get the sight you want, is just a horrible, horrible system, which encourages you to play in a way you likely don’t want to. If you unlocked the hammer guy by breaking down 100 doors, for instance, don’t you think that would make you play differently?

Especially for a game in which each member of the team is highly important, where CoD is very lone-wolf-centric, it’s sooooo important that players are encouraged to simply do their best and not be worrying about a metagame aside from simply playing more.

And most people would almost certainly say that for unlocks, the CoD systems which have involved earning currency are far more fun than the ones where everything is tied to accolades or EXP.