Rust Concepts Include Eerie Aloof NPC Scientists

Hi no don't worry everything's fine here Dr.

I like strange characters who largely ignore players, following their own unknowable agendas until you cause problems. Skyrim’s giants who’d rather scare you off but will eventually knock you into the clouds. The Borg in Star Trek: Elite Force who don’t even consider you a threat at first. Despairing Hollows in Dark Souls. That sort of thing. I do hope that Rust [official site] will follow through with ideas raised in the latest devblog, for NPC scientists in hazmat suits investigating this strange island of ruins and naked men chasing each other swinging rocks.

Rust artist Paul Bradley contributed the scientist concepts to the devblog, explaining:

“This week I managed to work up some scientist NPC ideas, exploring the basic look of their hazmat suits. I want these guys to have a weird, unsettling feeling. I felt like you could capture this by hiding their faces completely behind dirty face masks. I also think it would be cool if they somewhat ignored the player as they went about the island conducting their research, only really acknowledging you if you got too close and threatened them. It would be cool if you could hear them communicating to each other with muffled, distorted voices so you can’t really understand what they’re saying. Just to add to the creepy factor.”

Do note that’s mostly ideas, thoughts, and it-would-be-cool-ifs, but they are awfully cool ones. I hope this happens.

I’m enjoying seeing Rust’s world develop through additions like this. Long, long ago Rust was another zombie apocalypse ’em up, but since removing deadfolk it’s become a weird other post-apocalyptic world, slowly filling with more ruined buildings and high-tech installations. Now it’s working in more traces of seemingly advanced society still active beyond the island, where people don’t wear armour made of traffic signs or slap scrap together into rudimentary guns. It recently added NPC helicopter gunships who’ll fly in from the sea then patrol around the island’s monuments, firing on players they spot. (Organised folks can take it down to score fancy loot.)

I do hope these weird, aloof scientists will be exploring around too.

Paul adds, “it’ll be really awesome to add some life to the world to see how players react.” Won’t it just!

1. thedosbox says:

I am disappointed that this is the only piece tagged with “facepunch” today. The Batman one should surely qualify.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

The creep factor would surely be diminished when players would just keep coming to their face and bludgeoning them to death. I don’t really see how a scientist in a hazmat suit minding their own business would pose any kind of real threat to the player. Stun batons? Armed bodyguards? If they would have no useful loot then players would just kill them for fun.

3. molinars says:

“…NPC scientists in hazmat suits investigating this strange island of ruins and naked men chasing each other swinging rocks.” Sounds like The Walking dead with David Lynch insanity. I´m ready.

4. Chillicothe says:

RUST devs are some of the best in the biz. I need to get back and see what character the randomizer spits out for me.

• SaintAn says:

LMAO Some of the most corrupt maybe. Or some of the most disrespectful to their players. Certainly not some of the best, especially since they are scamming their players and allowing Valve to get a foothold with their paid mod scams.

Screw those scumbags.

• Ruigi says:

Not that I think you’re the type to listen to reason but this: link to garry.tv

• IVIikeOxbig says:

“paid mod scam”?
        How is it a scam? People can make a “skin” and you can buy it. If you don’t want to buy it then don’t. It’s not like a skin adds a single benefit to the game besides making your character look a little different. and this..
        “Or some of the most disrespectful to their players”?
        They actually listen to their playerbase and give us a weekly update about what is going on unlike pretty much every other Early Access game out there. Only one I can say that is up to par is ARK, but I still like Rust more.

• Catweasel says:

I feel like cosmetic items being a paid mod scam is kind of a stretch. Who’s being scammed?

5. poliovaccine says:

I get a suggestion from the details, as relayed here, that this post-apocalyptic island is more like a bizarre anomaly, recently discovered by civilization, which has been lost to time for aeons and which seems to be solely inhabited by an inexplicably brutish, violent, and exhibitionist variety of humanoid.

I think it’d be great if you slowly learned that the rest of the world isn’t like this, and in fact, this community of people, who have seemingly all the capabilities to construct tools, construct buildings, develop relationships with one another, even cobble together towns, could theoretically exist as a peaceful, orderly community… but for some godforsaken, unknowable reason, they simply don’t, and instead choose to beat other with rocks and dress up in warped metal. They suspect a disease is the cause of this, hence the hazmats, but really they just have no idea what the fuck is wrong with you people.

It ends up being a larger comment on why we do what we do when given a simulation to do it in – i.e. what we might be like if “permadeath” weren’t a real life issue. Sure, *some* of us play The Sims…