Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul Arrives On PC

The Saint Seiya series has stood the test of time. The manga series that started it all has since spawned an animated series, numerous video games, and even musicals over three decades. Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul Knights Of The Zodiac [official site], the latest game and the first to get an English PC release, has arrived on Steam and brings with it 40 stages, 72 playable characters, and 144 costumes. Come look, see:

My introduction to the Saint Seiya series came courtesy of my own ignorance ten years ago. In mid-2005, I’d not long finished Suikoden IV on the PlayStation 2 and was after another meaty JRPG to sink my teeth into. I picked up Saint Seiya: The Sanctuary in a mortifying display of book-cover-judging skulduggery and instead got a cut-scene-heavy larger than life action-cum-fighting game. Although not what I was after, I loved it! Why is this self-indulgent rabble important? Saint Seiya is accessible to noobs, like my idiot self a decade ago.

This time round, players can look forward to a reworked fighting system, new game modes, and, for the first time, can explore the Asgard Arc – a famous series story line.

Here’s the blurb from the game’s Steam page:

“The long awaited return of Saint Seiya is here with Saint Seiya Soldiers’ Soul! This amazing game will feature characters from the whole series, including the 12 Gold Saints and their God Cloths from the newly released anime “Soul of Gold”. Saint Seiya Soldiers’ Soul also leverages the power of the latest technology for spectacular graphics, robust gameplay, intense battles and many other exciting features to discover! Follow the storyline from the Twelve Zodiac Temples arc to the battles against Hades as well as other surprises. Relive Saint Seiya’s memorable storyline with beautiful 3D cut scenes.”

Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul Knights Of The Zodiac is out now on on Steam for £39.99.

1. Tacroy says:

Man, this doesn’t even bring back memories, that’s how young I was when I watched Saint Seyia – it was definitely the first anime I watched, but I can’t remember anything about it besides the basic visual style.

• mavu says:

Yes, and I watched it in french without understanding more than 3 words of french. Back in the time when we had 3 TV channels and 2 or so from living close to france.

2. Jokerme says:

So it’s accessible to noobs. Does that mean I can pick up and play this game without missing on most of the content even if this is the first time I’m hearing about this Saint Seiya?

• m1k3ol says:

Correct!
      You will actually witness a big part (or the most important bits) of the main story arcs, you might even want to watch the series after it to sink your teeth in all the details

3. GWOP says:

So much gold and chrome, it might even give a rapping oil sheikh reason to pause.

4. heyhellowhatsnew says:

Haha, you said “cum” I am a teenage babyminded idiot, sorry.

5. OmNomNom says:

Fruity

6. Zelos says:

The article reads like an advertisement. The blurb about how you were introduced to the series is meaningless without you providing an actual opinion on it.

Regardless, I can’t understand why we’re getting a port of this instead of All Star Battle or the Eyes of Heaven. Surely JoJo is more popular than Saint Seiya is?

• trashmyego says:

A lot of articles on RPS reek of native advertising. I’m not sure if it’s just an increase in lazy journalism or the real deal.

• Orageon says:

JoJo more popular than Saint Seiya ??
      I mean as a kid, couple of decades ago, Saint Seiya was a very popular anime. JoJo ? Nobody knew about it at our age in Europe, it was not on TV or anything…
      Also, JoJo would probably not have deemed ok for the kids (although Hokuto no Ken was, for some reason).

JoJo is extremely popular in Japan but as far as I know, in Europe it was never big or at least never in the 80s where these got engraved into a current generation’s childhood memories.
      And I don’t even mention the freaking toys !!

• Kitsunin says:

Considering the actual anime adaption of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure only started 3 years ago, it’s natural you wouldn’t have heard of it as a kid. Plus the current incarnation of Saint Seiya is more a spin-off suddenly springing up after a long time of almost nothing, while JoJo’s has been continuing the whole time.

7. DrZhark says:

If you haven’t seen the action figures… stay far far away from them. Collecting them is extremely addictive and expensive. I’ve spent a fortune and the latest ‘Soul of Gold’ figures are amazing.
    link to tamashii.jp

Do not go to that link. You’ve been warned

8. alms says:

Outside of cutscenes, looks like the most generic beat em up with Saint eiya skins/models/characters to me.

• DanMan says:

Tru dat! L00ks liek a PSII gaem! LOLZORZZZZ!!111

• alms says:

Don’t be like that Dan, you know I’ve never been that guy.

What I meant of course is I couldn’t spot any of the distinctive features of combat from the manga/anime, the graphics have absolutely nothing to do with it.

9. Galdred says:

Saint seiya was like the most memorable anime serie I grew up with. It overused recycled animations, had a weak plot (basically, some bronze saint take a beating, are very close to death, then channels all his remaining inner strength to unleash his cosmo, and ends up barely winning), but the coolness factor was second to none.