It’s Time You Tried Tick Tock Isle

I’ve had a troubled relationship with video game clock towers. While I adored the setting of Hifumi Kono’s Clock Tower survival horror series of the late 90s and early 2000s, the Mad King’s Clock Tower jumping puzzle in Guild Wars 2, put me off them for life. So many mistimed jumps, so many perilous falls, so many unreasonably narrow floating catwalks that I tell you were IMPOSSIBLE to land on.

Tick Tock Isle [official site] is a wonderfully strange adventure to fix a sodding clock tower on a mysterious island, travelling in time and meeting whimsical townsfolk. It has a demo, and is now the one exception to my anti-time-telling tower rule.

Developer Squiddershins describes Tick Tock Isle as a “very short, very silly adventure” that sees a young horologist (a clock repair guy) named Strike accidentally sent back in time as his attempt to restore the abandoned monolith in the present day goes awry. Thereafter donning the role of a pseudo-social worker, it’s on Strike to fix not only the clock itself, but also the island’s “dysfunctional family who are responsible for much of the clock’s disrepair”.

Tick Tock Isle costs $2.99 on Itch, where you’ll also find the free demo.

Set your watch to the game’s trailer:

1. Kefren says:

The clock tower that springs to my mind was in the Thief games. (Was there one in Thief 2? There definitely was in Deadly Shadows.)

• karthink says:

Garrett lived inside of one in Thi4f too. I liked that clocktower (and, categorically, nothing else about that game).

• demicanadian says:

“The time will show who’s guilty”, or something like that

• golem09 says:

Clock towers in video games? First thing that came to me was the one in Majoras Mask.

Bluerps says:

The first video game clock towers that came to my mind are the ones in various Castlevania games. Which are awful, because they are always full of tiny moving platforms and floating medusa heads.

2. dvandersluis says:

Finished the game, is there any way to complete “Encourage Brazo” and “Redirect Rivet”? Perhaps I missed that I completed them…

3. merzbau says:

How in god’s name am I the first person to comment on how wonderful the developer’s name is? Squiddershins. Just say it aloud with me.

SQUIDDERSHINS.

Lovely.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Makes me think of a character name Terry Pratchet (may he rest in peace) would come up with.

• zacharai says:

“Squiddershins” is too close to “widdershins”, a direction he uses frequently in Discworld. Opposite of turn-wise.

4. Merus says:

Ahahaha oh that fucking Mad King’s clock tower. I’ve done it every year, and every year I’ve needed at least half a dozen tries to remember how to do it.

So the theming is that you’re climbing up the debris orbiting a Ravenloft-style clock tower. The footing’s treacherous, the surfaces are slippery and there are clouds swallowing the clock tower, so if you’re not booking it you’ll get swallowed up by the clouds and return to the start.

The only real saving grace is that there’s a point where you run out of platform and there’s a big drop to a large cog below. If you make it there without the clouds swallowing you, you’re almost certainly going to go on to finish it.

5. peterako1989 says:

I was looking for this indie dev for quite some time. I love his games, Jable’s adventure being my favourite. Thanks to this post I found him again.