Hand-Painted Love In After School

After School [official site] is lovely interactive story/point and click game that’s entirely hand painted on paper using pencils and watercolours. It tracks the solitary ponderings of a love-struck and lonely schoolgirl who stops by a boy’s house every evening at dusk before heading home. Inconspicuously, she peers in through his window and imagines what life would be like if he took more notice of her. Instead, he reads a book, every night, paying her no mind. What if one day they ran away together, she wonders. What if one day she tapped the window to grab his attention?

You’ve got a hard week coming, dear reader, so why not enjoy a lighthearted free game to get you through your Monday morning? Let After School – a game created during a two-day masterclass by French university students and Coral Cave developer Atelier Sento – tell its whimsical tale of young love and courage as it transports you back in time to when sharing your feelings with the one you fancied was the most important and most entirely difficult thing to do in the world. Go on, give in.

As the story progresses, the school girl protagonist dreams of weirder and more wonderful ways to spend time with the boy and the twist, which I won’t ruin, pulls the story together in a way that’s both endearing and slightly sad. After School is free and can be enjoyed here.

heretic says:

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

2. Arehandoro says:

Looks beautiful indeed. I’ll have it a go this evening :)

3. Black Flag says:

Ah ah, so glad to see Atelier Sentô and my students mentionned here! Here’s another free game coming from the same school (gamepad advised): link to studioblackflag.com

4. JFS says:

Hopefully no Braid-ending?

5. RaunakS says:

Such a lovely little thing. A labour of love. This is why, despite everything, RPS remains my most favourite corner of the internet.

Thank you Mr. Donnelly and thank you RPS for giving me this at the end of a day I really don’t want to remember ever again.

6. bill says:

So, did they decide to do a game about a schoolgirl and were therefore forced to set it in Japan?

Or did they decide to do a game set in Japan and therefore felt obligated to have it star a schoolgirl?

• Black Flag says:

Hi Bill, thanks for asking this question. I’m the person who has planned this masterclass and I’ll be glad to clear your doubt. The video game landscape is full of oddities and surprises and it’s something I want my students to discover.

Atelier Sentô has a great and inspiring approach in the making of their video games that I would define as backpacking and watercolor. Inspired by Japanese folklore, they travel all around Japan and France while painting their games.

This way of making games is really singular and I wanted to show it to my students because they need to have a full glimpse at the diversity of the video game industry. That’s why we put up this workshop which goal was to make a game only using Japanese watercolor technique infused with Japanese lore.

Yet, we only had two days to make a game so it had to be somehow minimalist and the two persons behind Atelier Sentô came up with this simple and moving story. I’m pretty sure they made a story about students because the game itself is a student work. I hope I’ve answered your question, feel free to ask more!