Dreamfall Chapters: Book Four Coming Thursday

Devoted dreamers, have you finished replaying the first three episodes of Dreamfall Chapters [official site] since their upgrade to Unity 5? Oh for… you’ve had days, literally days. It’s almost like you don’t care about being the dreamiest, most dreamingest dreamer dreaming round these parts. For shame. Well, you’ve got another few days, as Book Four of Red Thread’s episodic adventure isn’t coming until ooooh Thursday. A new trailer reveals the release date, along with a wee bit of what you’ll get up to in the penultimate episode.

“This Thursday, continue the journey, visit new lands, meet new characters, face the greatest challenges yet, and learn the dark truth behind the conspiracy,” say Red Thread. They also warn on Twitter that in the trailer “There are definitely some spoilers, so if you’re already sold on the game and Book Four, consider steering clear!”

Given that episodes have been arriving 3-5 months apart, perhaps we can expect the fifth by the end of April? That’d be fitting, that.

1. Yachmenev says:

Should get back to playing it, have only completed the first book so far. But the male character’s escape in the second part of it was just bad, and there was too much running around in the empty city after that. Not bad, but not really fun either.

Are book 2 and book 3 improbements, or just more of the same?

• Lim-Dul says:

Sadly more of the same. I gave up at the beginning of Chapter 3 after the disappointing Chapter 2…
      It doesn’t help that the game runs like crap even with the recent update to the newest version of Unity. This breaks the immersiveness for me, which would otherwise be one of the only things the Dreamfall Chapters has going for it.

• tomimt says:

Must be your system. U4 version ran like a tick in molasses for me, but the new U5 version works like a charm. It pretty much doubled my framerates.

• RedViv says:

I can run channelside in Europolis at night on maximum settings and it still doesn’t drop below pretty good 40fps, where it previously crawled to about 10. Definitely feeling the improvement there.

• Lim-Dul says:

Well, OK, I don’t consider 40fps to be an acceptable framerate on my system. It’s true, the game began to run a little better on UE5 but for me ANY hiccups given the game’s graphical fidelity are noticeable and fall into the “runs like crap” category. ;)

I am running it on a GeForce GTX 980, Intel i7-4970k (OC) and 16GB RAM.
            I expect the game to run completely smoothly on such a system and never dip below 60fps – which it doesn’t. Especially during camera panning in Europolis (as RedViv pointed out) the stutters are quite severe in some places.

• bunotato says:

Sadly I have to agree with the others. While I enjoyed the first two games of the series, this one (I played the first two chapters, and a bit of the third as well) is really about running around aimlessly. This is due to the vast, but empty areas (seriously, people don’t speak to you, nothing to interact with whatsoever) and because of that the game has no mechanic of giving hints about where to go next. The interface doesn’t tell much about the status of the current quest or its location either.

I was one of the first backers of the game on Kickstarter, the previous two are both incredibly good (at least that’s how I remember them) and I just didn’t expect to be disappointed. What I wonder is, why are there so many positive voices for this game? Of course other players will make different experiences, enjoy different kinds of games, but in my opinion, this game is bad in general, it’s not only not my taste.

An incredible story (the previous games had that) would have made up for all of this. It would be a good reason to make it through this badly implemented game world, and I might ignore all the issues it has. However, in the end, all I did was running around to check things off a list, not knowing why I am bothering to go on. The presentation doesn’t make me want to know more, beginning with the tedious tutorial all the way to the third episode.

2. coldvvvave says:

Framerate for me was always tolerable. But gameplay itself really goes nowhere every chapter. Lots of pointless running around and backtracking. Saga segments are just horrible. Pixelhunting in a 3-d advenutre jesus christ! Nothing is really happening, no sense of adventure whatsoever. They even brought back stealth once for no reason.

It’s hard to believe but I think Dreamfall was a better game even with its halfbacked stealth and combat.

ps. I was waiting for DC for years. Come to think of it I discovered RPS when searching for Ragnar Tronquist interviews.

• Lukasz says:

I only played first two books so didn’t encounter any stealth mechanics. How bad it is in book three?

alison says:

There is one section (can’t remember which episode) where you need to sneak up behind a guard and do something before he turns around. After the abysmal stealth section in the previous game, i assumed stealth was out the window for this one so i wasted a lot of time trying to figure out an alternative solution. Every time you are spotted you just go back to the start of the room like Remember Me, so it’s no big deal to fail. As it turns out, as soon as you actually try to stealth it properly it takes like 10 seconds and it’s over.

alison says:

Ugh, i said Remember Me, i meant République. Getting all my cyberpunk girl games confused.

alison says:

Wow, tough crowd. I am really enjoying Dreamfall Chapters. Well, i am enjoying half of it. The science fiction half. Much like the previous games in the series, i find the swords and sorcery interludes interminably boring. I never play fantasy games because the setting does so very little for me, but somehow in The Longest Journey series i plod through hours of dragon and wizard melodrama because the science fiction world is so damn compelling. I find that a testament to the characters and storyline. Perhaps the “gameplay” (whatever that means) is not as deep as people would like, but that’s not really the point of adventure games, and particularly not modern adventure games. This style of game is almost completely about experiencing a story that you unwrap at your own pace. If you are into cyberpunk-ish futures that take into account more cultures than just American and Japanese, if you enjoy a cast with both a female protagonist and strong female characters, if you want the freedom to walk around and sightsee without getting attacked… These are some things i look for in games, and this is right up my alley.