The Spectacular & Startling RPS Advent Calendar 2015

It’s a Christmas miracle! The RPS Advent Calendar lives once more. That means that over the next 24 days we’ll be opening small cardboard doors and celebrating the favourite games we find within. The games are in no particular order, except for the 24th which will be our favourite game of the year, and we’re combining it with last year’s Bestest Bests to award each game a particular best-in-genre title.

You can click the numbered doors in the image above to whip straight to the post for that day. It’s powered by Christmas magic and the web’s hottest technology of 1997.

We’ve done this before, including in 2007 when the calendar was a photo of an actual calendar that John bought, and then in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2014 we did the RPS Bestest Bests which were similar but didn’t have a drawing of a calendar and thus were clearly inferior.

From this site

1. MasterBoo says:

Predicted #1: Invisible Inc.

shoptroll says:

Yessssss! It’s my favorite time of year on this site :)

3. elderman says:

Don’t know if I got in on the RPS forums guessing game in time, but here’s my go at a prediction. Purely by reputation. The only game I’ve played among all these was Invisible Inc., during its Steam free weekend. My gaming library operates on a delay. These are also vaguely in order of how sure I am each game sits behind one of those door.

Invisible Inc. (Christmas Eve, RPS best of the year)
    Her Story
    Life is Strange
    GTA V
    Mushroom 11
    Crypt of tHe Necrodancer
    The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna

4. Nova says:

The Advent Calendar is back.
    That’s a nice surprise.

• guygodbois00 says:

“I think I had a heart attack and died of not-surprise.”

• Zunt says:

That I not only know that reference, but read it in his voice is quite alarming.

5. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Prediction time! The Witcher 3 is surely the game to beat this year, although I could definitely also see RPS picking Invisible, Inc. Life is Strange may have ended on too divisive a note to get the top prize, but it could certainly be a dark horse candidate too.

My personal GOTY is Fallout 4 (I know, I know, but what can I say? This is by far the most fun I’ve had with a video game in 2015), with Tales From the Borderlands in a close second.

caff says:

Good choice. In the past couple of weeks I’ve racked up nearly

• Zekiel says:

These sound look very sound predictions. My game of the year is split between the extremely-hard-to-compare-meaningfully Life Is Strange and Pillars of Eternity. I’m certain the former will be in here somewhere; I’ll be really disappointed if the latter is not (but fear it might not be since obviously Witcher 3 or possibly Fallout 4 is going to get the Bestest RPG award)

caff says:

Horace looks like he’s been… er… squeezed out of…. something.

7. Beanbee says:

Horris is my co-pilot

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Praise Horace and pass the ammunition. The Advent Calendar hath commenceth.

9. Dances to Podcasts says:

How is Horace holding up that list?

Bluerps says:

It’s inferior to the calendar I have at home – because it doesn’t contain chocolate – but it’s still nice that it’s there.

• Zekiel says:

Well it does contain lots of lovely writing…

Writing > Chocolate? Discuss.

11. csbear says:

I hope Stasis gets a mention for Horror or Adventure!

Gnarl says:

Yay! The advent calender is back! Missed the wonderful RPSness of it last year.

13. psepho says:

My favourite part of Advent is back! Looking forward to finding out about all the great stuff that has passed me by this year.

14. fco says:

woha, following that 2007 link I realize I still have four of those games on my backlog

zinzan says:

Yeah what’s depressing/unnerving is having looked back over these old Advent Calendars – I realsie that I have VERY MANY games that I’ve bought but never meaningfully played (less than 5 hrs). There are qyuite a few that I’ve still got on my wish lists.

It’s so annoying that my life is so “ADULT” now that I have very ;little time to game anymore – AAAAhhhhhhhhhh

15. Solrax says:

YAY!

cpt_freakout says:

Yesssss

17. Robert The Rebuilder says:

It looks like the Christmas Magic powering the calendar needs a tweak. On a phone (galaxy note 4) when I click on a date, it takes me to… this page.

Please, Santa’s elven developers! Make this magic work on phones!

18. santouryuu says:

so here are my predictions.apart from the 3 games that have been covered already(prison architect,regency solitaire,downwell) and assuming that all the game of the month winners will be included(which are cities:skylines,GTA 5,rocket league,her story,invisible inc,MGS 5,undertale,life is strange),i think the following will also be included:
    Fallout 4
    80 days
    Pillars of Eternity
    Witcher 3
    just cause 3-?(Unsure)
    else heart break()
    mad max-?(unsure about this)
    AC Syndicate-?(unsure)
    Kerbal space programme

19. Moth Bones says:

“We’ll update this post as it goes along of course, so that each of the doors above links to the appropriate day’s game.”

I hope so, as the 1st is the only one that links right now, and your bizarre front page only lets me look at the latest few posts, so I still don’t know what days 2-4 were.

20. qribba says:

This calendar thingymablob totes doesn’t work. Only day one works for me

21. rochrist says:

Yeah, none of the links from the 9th on seem to work.

22. deanimate says:

Calendar links still broken :'(

23. Stevostin says:

A heap of indy “smart interesting daring with ultra low production value”. A lot of the “ultra high production value disappointing on so many level but hey, still the thing 90% ppl will play 90% of the time.” missing from the list.

It’s a wake up call for me. I like many things RPS but as far a video game review go, this is not a place for me. I bought a heap of indies, played them all a bit, dropped 66% after 2 hours max, finished the rest thinking “well it’s ok, I guess”, actually was positively impressed but Hot Line Miami I, Terraria and Minecraft (oh yes and Survarium, up to a point). Really I may be forgetting things but I don’t think so. Small games are nice and all and I am happy they exist but actually they matter very little. A conservative, lazy, streamlined AAA title is typically more worth every minute spend in it than any Binding Alone of Paper Please to me.

I am not in the right place for me. You gaming dandies have fun, I have to seek a place where they focus on stuff that has any chance to be worth the time spend playing them.

• tartley says:

With respect to all parties, FWIW I feel the exact opposite of what Stevostin says. I am bored witless with the majority of stilted AAA gubbins, versus tickled and thrilled by many of the smaller games.