GOG Winter Sale Now On

Lawks, the autumn sales only just ended! Or… were they Thanksgiving sales? Black Friday? Cyber Monday? I’m confused by these American consumebrations coming over here, telling us to crush people to death. Anyway, point is, GOG today launched their winter sale. It is definitely winter and that’s definitely a sale, so I can understand this.

If you were one of the folks grumbling that Steam’s sale was BORING without daily deals and things to check on and cross-check and be confused by, you’ll be delighted with this. You can even pay £1.99 for a go on a video game lucky dip!

GOG explain they have over 500 games on sale with discounts up to 90%, bundles, rotating daily deals, free games as you spend more money (Divine Divinity after $5, and Blackguards at $50), and Mystery Games.

The way it works is, you pay £1.99/$2.99 and GOG will give you a random game worth between $9.99 and $39.99. These games won’t be in the regular sale – so you can tell what they’re not, at least – and GOG will prioritise games you don’t already own. 50-odd games are in the mystery pool at the moment, and they’ll add more over the sale.

The sale will run until 1:59pm on December 13th. Head over to GOG to see the bargs.

1. DiiGiiTAL says:

“…these American consumebrations…”

You of course mean ‘consumerismisationsisms’.

2. Czrly says:

Of course, it being GoG, there’s really no point buying anything until the final day when everything will be repeated in the Finale. For those of us who get whacked with bank charges (because GoG, unlike Steam, charge in a currency based on my IP address instead of the home-currency of my Visa card… duh??), the finale is the only option.

• ButteringSundays says:

“instead of the home-currency of my Visa card”.

Bit off-topic, I know, but I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing, which would explain why that doesn’t happen.

I’ve worked on a few payment processors and it’s certainly not something I’ve come across. Some payment systems might charge you based on your address, but most, to be fair, charge you based on the currency of the retailer.

Back on topic: Does anyone else just wait for GOG stuff to go on sale at steam so you can keep it all in one ecosystem? Obviously the proper GOG games (i.e. old ones) are a different story, but the current stuff’s all the same price anyway, from what I’ve seen.

Also: I hate that Steam has done that to my library. We need a third-party launcher provider who does achievements and badges and friends lists etc. – but doesn’t lock us into a shop. It’d have to be ad driven though… which is unappetising.

• Czrly says:

Er… you always have to give a billing address, yes? And that implies a country and currency?

GoG do business in Pounds and always charged me in pounds in the past. just because my IP address isn’t currently in England, they should still be charging me in Pounds. They aren’t. They insist on charging in Euro because I happen to be on the continent, presently, even though I am still using my British account and have not modified my payment details. This causes my bank to charge me penalties that add up on small transactions.

Steam, Amazon and a thousand other services do not make this mistake.

• Deano2099 says:

But don’t you get that issue for everything you buy on a card in the country where you live? Because they’re all in Euro? Is that not a far bigger issue than an online stor?

• Czrly says:

Pah! I challenge you to try and buy something on a credit card, here in the credit-afeared Bundesrepublik – particularly a VISA one that ain’t from the continent. That would rank right next to “ordering a Belgian beer” and “acquiring a proper cup ‘a tea in a restaurant” on the list of next-to-impossible tasks. I long since gave up and operate entirely with printed money, just like everyone else.

Unfortunately, my printed-money slot on my laptop has long since been completely jammed – a casualty of my excitement when I first read that HL3 was confirmed and desperately tried to pre-order it.

To be honest, though, the hassle of dealing in cash is more than compensated for by Bavarian beer which has the minimum quality level of “jolly good”, the average being “very good”. There are also specialist shops, here, that sell “exceedingly good”, locally-brewed stuff (varying per region, so travelling about is bliss if you enjoy variety) at a price that comes to about 80-90 Euro cents per 500ml just-about-a-pint after you’ve returned the bottle and the crate. This stuff beats the pants of Hobgoblin.

• Vacuity729 says:

Hmm, as someone living roughly halfway around the world from the bank account for which they have a debit card, I can assure you that it is most definitely a thing to automatically charge you either in the currency local to your IP, or as a secondary “failsafe”, when the store doesn’t offer prices in that currency, they charge in $US.
        I’ve had wildly varying degrees of success in getting support on this at different online stores and accounts have a tendency to “revert” for no apparent reason. GOG reverted to $US sometime in 2014 and I just couldn’t be bothered to go through the hassle of getting them to switch currencies again, and so haven’t bought anything from them for over a year.

• baozi says:

I don’t wait for GOG games to show up on Steam…I used to think like this when it comes to other platforms too, but, inevitably, you’ll come across a game/ebook/song/movie/whatever that isn’t part of your preferred store’s library so your personal library is split anyway.

Plus, you can always add GOG games to Steam.

3. suibhne says:

This whole “mystery game”/”what’s in the box!!1” trend is lunacy.

In other news, this is the worst GOG.com sale I’ve seen. Out of my long wishlist, only three items have any sort of discount at all, and only one of those is significant. It’s true that my wishlist is skewed toward older games rather than new indies, but this looks like a big departure from GOG.com’s prior sale practices.

Aerothorn says:

It’s not all on sale at once – it changes by the day.

• suibhne says:

I’ve checked three days in a row, and the discounts on my wishlist have not changed once.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Don’t ever do the lucky dip. You will just wind up getting something you already own on Steam.

• Czrly says:

Yeah, the mystery game idea does not take my fancy. I really like a very small number of games and couldn’t give the time of day to all the rest. The chances of the “prize” being something I want and don’t already own are negligable. If it was super cheap (a quarter of its price, now) I’d consider it but, at its current price, you might as well just wait for what you want on a proper sale on GoG or elsewhere.

I don’t think GoG have twigged that raffles only work at school fêtes because the money is going to some cause or other, not because people actually want the fruit basket or stale cake selection.

• Baines says:

People buy those Mystery Game deals, and it probably isn’t costing GOG that much to offer them. Considering that the odds are very high that people will end up getting games that they wouldn’t have bought sight seen for $3, it is most likely a net profit for GOG.

artrexdenthur says:

Yeah, it’s a really silly attempt to harness skinner box effects. Pretty futile, honestly.

<..>
        *puts in $3*

5. Bostec says:

Isn’t this GoG’s 3rd sale in like 2 months? These Stales are getting rather old. No doubt we will have the christmas sale and the New Year sale to come too.

• anHorse says:

Going off of past form, the winter sale will be their christmas sale

GoG tend to put their sales before steam

• Perjoss says:

Complaining about the frequency of game sales. PC gamer 1st world problems.

• Agnosticus says:

“Stales”….I like it! :)

6. ThehakkeMadman says:

Maybe I got this wrong but since gog.com is from poland, you shouldn’t blame em for those (that?) ‘consumerismisationsisms’;)

7. trjp says:

According to their webpage it’s $50 to get Blackguards – not $30 (in the article above at this time)

Carra says:

Fine, I put in $3 into the slot machine. And I got… A Golden Wake. Not bad, been wanting to give that game a try anyway. Now, to find some time to play it…

9. fish99 says:

I bought 3 winters. I will deploy them when you least expect it.

10. socrate says:

i tend to not really buy from GoG its now too much like steam and the price seem the same if not worst then steam…or i end up having the game on steam already,and the stupid mystery buy thing is beyond stupid humble also is doing that now and people always get crap so far appart from the release which was grimlock 2 but who didnt have that already anyway.

Plus having all my game in 1 place is always nice.

• Sin Vega says:

In what way are they “too much like steam”?

• Sin Vega says:

Also (damn edit), two things (1) if you buy a game and you already have it on steam, how is this anyone’s fault but your own, and (2) how can you complain about gog being too much like steam in the same breath as you suggest you buy a lot of games from steam?

11. ansionnach says:

If anyone doesn’t already have Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis it’s going really cheap. It’s almost three adventure games in one with multiple solutions to some puzzles and three paths through the game’s mid section (the longest part). Certainly the best game I’ve played. Paid £60 for the floppy version in a box with Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max and it was well worth that price. Later got the CD version in a box with Last Crusade for £15. Floppy version is better but you can always turn off the voices (although directions given in certain sections are more limited in the CD version and it also doesn’t count multiple items beyond five).

12. dungeoncrawl says:

Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb is a great game….especially at that price. I got hooked on that a couple years ago…maybe 2009 and it held up pretty well IMO.

13. slerbal says:

We (commenters on RPS) often complain when you don’t mention GOG selling games in addition to Steam, so here is a thank you for me for doing so. I for one had no idea GOG had a sale on :O

• Tekrunner says:

Yeah, I don’t buy games on GoG that often (still have like 30 games in my library there), but I’m very glad that it exists, and that it has made all those good ol’ games playable again. So it’s good to see it mentioned from time to time.

14. SaintAn says:

“It is definitely winter and that’s definitely a sale, so I can understand this.”

December 22 is the first day of Winter. Is it different where you live? Serious question, I have an American Southern education.

CdrJameson says:

Winter in the UK nominally starts on 1st December, despite that clearly still being Autumn, apparently based on Meterological Office practice and general convenience.
      It has the plus point of making us think there’s the slightest chance of it snowing at Christmas. And of having a Winter that currently has temperatures of about 13 degrees Celcius.

Astronomical Winter begins on 21st December at the Winter Solstice, but we don’t talk about that.

CdrJameson says:

Of course how this affects how winter is defined in Poland is another matter. From what I can see it looks like Zima is only January and February and we’re currently mid-Jesień.

Zamn10210 says:

Meteorology is not the only criteria. Even early December is *dark* – far darker than February, or even late January. Even going by meteorology, in southern England December is only slightly warmer than January on average, and either cooler or about the same as February depending on how you measure it. And the notion of winter (or summer) starting on the solstice, while established, is nonsensical. The solstice is midwinter – the very shortest day of the year. By any reasonable definition the solstices and equinoxes mark the astronomical midpoints of the seasons, not the boundaries between them.

The only possible grounds for classifying December as autumn are that some hardy leaves are still clinging to trees but they will be gone very soon. It’s winter, it might not feel like it because it’s unseasonably warm, but that’s how it is sometimes with a mild climate.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Up here in The North the first and only snow so far was on the 19th of November. With a few negative celcius some snow even stayed on the ground for a few days.
      Then it regressed back to autumn or jumped to spring with positive temperatures and singing birds and flowers in bloom.
      Winter is coming, maybe after the freezing rains.

pertusaria says:

In Ireland, winter is November, December and January; spring begins on St. Brigid’s Day in early February. The UK is one month behind, traditionally starting winter in December. (I don’t know how Northern Ireland solves this one.)

15. Immobile Piper says:

I thought winter meant having snow on the ground. Grumble grumble… when I was a child…

There’s some good games on sale though.

16. Romeric says:

Just a heads up. Consumebrations is from this point forwards part of my general vocabulary. I will do my utmost to cite Alice O’Connor every time I use it. This is why I love RPS. Any other site would see an article such as this as “just another news article.” Not so here. Excellent stuff.