Have You Played… Never Alone?

Never Alone is one of the best coop games I’ve played in recent times.

My parents would occasionally buy edutainment games for me. I hated the word even then. ‘Edutainment’ sounds like something that a politician might say with a straight face while trying to convince schools that they don’t need books or literacy anymore.

The games were dreadful. Space Invaders but with numbers and sums, or crappy platform games where I had to collect letters and spell words to complete a level.

No, defiant Crowe, I am not.

Never alone is different. I learned about the folklore and life of people in a culture I know very little about, and I did it all in between short platforming and puzzling sections in one of last year’s most handsome games. It’s short, easy enough for anyone to pick up and play as either of the two main characters, and with some hard lessons beneath its endearing exterior.

1. draglikepull says:

I played single-player, and maybe it’s a different experience playing co-op, but I found this game to be quite boring. It looks great, but it moves very slowly and everything about the way it controls is incredibly basic. It felt like a platformer with training wheels on.

• rcguitarist says:

It’s way more fun and honestly more challenging playing it on co-op. I enjoyed playing it with my wife, but I’m not sure I would have liked it much playing it single player. I also enjoyed all of the videos that get unlocked.

2. Chiron says:

Bought it a week ago in the sale, lovely game, well worth playing.

I swear to god though accidentally killing the fox or the girl with a poorly thought jump is one of the most harrowing experiences in gaming *sniff*

3. kaer says:

The story is nice. And the ‘cutscenes’ telling you about the culture are genuinely interesting.

Played once single player, and am playing again co-op. In single player the platforming seemed a bit too basic, but now that I’m playing with someone else who isn’t much of a gamer, I’m glad it’s easy.

• Sarfrin says:

Good one to play with my daughter then?

• Zetetik says:

I would suggest you maybe check out “Chariot” which is absolutely loads of Fun Co-Op Game!
        One of recent Best for 1/2 peeps to sit down and enjoy!

Here’s one of RPS Team talking about it:
        link to youtube.com

– Plus it’s also going cheap atm (about £4.50 if memory serves) in the PS4 shop.

4. Pulstar says:

Not yet.. Someday.

5. Author X says:

I finally got a chance to play this last week with my brother after Thanksgiving, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the visuals and authentic cultural influence, the actual game was disappointing. Maybe it was because we played on my Surface Pro 3 (on lowest settings) but we both found the controls annoying and unresponsive (especially when timing jumps while sliding or running), and there were a lot of glitches in the later half of the game. At one point, I kept getting warped back to the rope I had just jumped of off. The saving grace was that it’s so generous with checkpoints, we were glitched forward by one of us getting to a checkpoint before the other died as often as we were glitched back.

It’s a shame because the co-op puzzle design was good, and I really appreciate that it was created by/with native peoples instead of just being vaguely “inspired by” like most mythological video games.

• rcguitarist says:

“we played on my Surface Pro 3″….there’s your problem. Might as well play games on a Nintendo DS.

• draglikepull says:

What a weird comment. The DS is a fantastic place to play games. (The 3DS moreso, now.)

6. Nereus says:

Proceeds go to supporting inuit communities too. Even more reason to purchase it.

7. Frank says:

I know you didn’t just diss MECC classics, Number and Word Munchers. That would be blasphemy

particlese says:

Don’t forget Odell Down Under!

Also: some reference software that would make the computer pronounce the words looked up in its dictionary. My whole classroom sprung to life with riotous laughter and the edutaining sounds of “BUTT”, “POOP”, “BEEFCAKE”, etc.

Ninja Dodo says:

It’s really lovely. Co-op is probably the best way to play it but I played alone and still quite enjoyed it. The Fox Tales DLC is worth getting also.