Beast Master: Cat Cuddling In Far Cry Primal

There’s a scene in the new Far Cry Primal [official site] trailer in which the player character instructs his pet owl to eat someone’s face. It’s amazing how inconsequential the lack of vehicles and rocket launchers seems now that the full extent of the animal-taming can be seen. Feed wild beasts and they can be tamed, which leads to big cat snuggling, guard bears and tiger ridin’. Given that sniping the locks off animal cages was my favourite way to take out a baseload of baddies in Far Cry 3, Primal suddenly looks very tasty indeed.

This looks like a game I’d like to play. I’m still miffed that there are no dinosaurs (and I don’t give an attack-owl’s hoot about the time periods – this is a fantasy game in which you can ride around on a tiger and punch a bear), mostly because galloping into a fight on the back of my personal battle-raptor might wash away the memory of Jurassic World. I much preferred Pratt when he was living in the pit.

There’s a more in-depth look at animal behaviour in the following video, which also provides a glimpse of the map. Bonfires are the new outposts. Bears are terrifying, even when they’re on your side. Bees are our staunch allies.

Ubi say there will be more than 14 animals to tame. 15 then? Or maybe 12,542. Gotta tame ’em all. Maybe this is the Pokemon game I’ve always wanted. Or maybe Kinectimals.

The game’s due on February 23rd. There are more animal antics in this video featuring the developers and their thoughts about wildlife:

1. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Good to see something a little fresher.

Then again, this is a natural evolution of the last two FarCry games, afterall the bow was the only good weapon!

2. OmegaJak says:

Wait… you can ride a sabre toothed tiger? Well that’s me buying this.

3. Skeletor68 says:

That taming mechanic looks too quick. It would be more fun to only have one or two specific animals in the game where the process took longer and felt more valued. Very early days obviously so I could be missing something important. I’m likely looking for a more immersive slow-burning simulation mind you so can’t really expect Far Cry to become that I suppose.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Might also be tied to the animal’s “value” i suppose, with the wolf being one of the starting options and easier to tame. I mean, it’s a dog afterall!

Jokes aside, another sign of early days is probably the bit at the bonfire, in which the first very obvious kill goes unnoticed in a much more unbelievable way than other Far Cry’s before.

• onodera says:

The owl is a cool DSLR replacement, though I haven’t heard about Cro-Magnons taming them and teaching them to drop bombs.

4. Elliot Lannigan says:

Say what you want about Ubisoft, but they can be damn good at thinking up creative ways to use their existing assets and experience to make interesting new games that are much more solid and deep then they otherwise would have been if they were starting from scratch. This, Black Flag and Rogue, BLOOD DRAGON, all great games with extremely solid mechanics that would never have been possible in the allotted time or with the budget they DIDN’T spend, if they weren’t direct descendants of code Ubi has been refining and enhancing for years.

5. TheAngriestHobo says:

“It’s amazing how inconsequential the lack of vehicles and rocket launchers seems now that the full extent of the animal-taming can be seen.”

Go for the eyes, Boo.

Ninja Dodo says:

This looks really cool. Might be the first Far Cry I’ll play since giving up on 2. Contrary to Adam, I like that it’s specific and not falling into the trap of “because you have one fantastical element, nothing should be grounded or based on anything” which is an argument that seems to come up a lot with some games. ARK and other games like it seem pretty cool but I don’t want every game with creatures to be a single indistinguishable mush.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Yeah I found it a relief that it didn’t have dinosaurs – they’re not quite the new zombies but its nice to have some variety.

7. mukuste says:

Far Cry 3: Rakyat
    Far Cry 4: Kyrat
    Far Cry Primal: Takkar

Is this some kind of inside joke or are these people just very, very lazy about names?

• MrFinnishDude says:

“K”s and “R”s just sound cool. They have that sharpness, punch and aggression. Like “Ragnarök” for example.

• Shinan says:

It is perfect for words like “love” in certain languages (Rakkaus). Nothing says love like sounding like a chainsaw.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Yeah it does sound like a chainsaw when pronounced correctly in Finnish. Never really thought about that. Also foreigners seem to find the word “Elokuvateatteri (cinema)” and “Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas (airplane jet turbine engine auxiliary mechanic non-commissioned officer student)” particularly amusing.

• Geebs says:

I got out of breath just trying to read that in my head.

• Belsameth says:

Why the hell do you have a word for that?! Is half your country in the army, learning how to repair jet engines?

8. onodera says:

Crawling through the bushes and bowhunting were the best parts of the two latest FarCries. The tiger in the trippy parts was okay, FCP should have at least a “heel” command.

• onodera says:

Hope melee is improved too. Takedowns vs butt strikes is not a good system.

9. Weenie Hut General says:

I love most of the mechanics and the style, and I know that this is a showcase but…

I hope that it doesn’t become too easy, too quickly (or that different difficulty levels just make enemies bullet sponges).

Secondly-and this is a false hope-I hope the melee combat system has some oomph and strategy to it… I know that’s hard to simulate with AI but I play Chivalry all the time because the melee system feels rewarding. I’d love to feel that in another game, especially as a super brutal stone-age warrior.

10. poliovaccine says:

Really excited about this, for a number of reasons – both from purely the game’s angle, and from the angle that (with cautious optimism) sees this move as a good omen for future moves by this developer… would be nice if they started using their budget and clout to take a few more chances like this. I, for one, am not gonna be bothered in the least by a lack of vehicles… but especially not if the Jeep is just going to be replaced with a saber toothed tiger or a woolly mammoth or something. I love the idea of a vehicle that doubles as a companion animal..!

I also don’t mind the lack of dinosaurs. I’m not a stickler for realism in games, but that’s a liberty that might actually bug me somewhat. Tho it’d be cool if there was an isolated “Land Before Time” style valley or something where a small population of dinosaurs still lived… something halfway plausible to work em in there would be cool.

But, not even talking about the historical accuracy or whatnot, adding dinosaurs or not would drastically change the game, I think. It’d definitely shift your place in the food chain and change the nature of many of your encounters. I think the biggest flaw with adding dinosaurs to the regular ecosystem in this game would be that, if they were there, the player’s whole “struggle to the top of the food chain” would be pretty moot… dinos would just dominate by default. Then again, that would really ramp up the “survival horror” angle if so… Oh whatever, I’m just looking forward to it regardless. There are *too few* games along these lines…

11. mejoff says:

The Clan of The Cave Bear FPS we’ve all secretly been longing for since… 10000 years BC.

12. Drayk says:

What I like the most is that the hunting part finally makes sense in such a context. It’s looks really solid. I like what they’ve shown so far.

13. SanguineAngel says:

This might well be far cry heading in a direction I am actually excited about. I haven’t really been stimulated by the franchise since the first one (which I did love).

I think what would hook me is some advancement and diversity in the enemy AI. I was hugely turned off by the odd shoot on sight behaviour of the past games. I suppose the setting lends itself more to indiscriminately aggressive npcs but I’d like some more pre-amble to violence please. Perhaps a mix of cautious, fearful, aggressive and sneaky mentalities. I’d love to get a feeling of tension and uncertainty about intentions of both player and npcs

• Weenie Hut General says:

Well if you still haven’t tried Rust…

That game is made by the pre-amble. Friend, Foe, Scout singaling future raid, Desperate Passerby? Only one way to find out…

I think playing it alone is the best cave-man survival horror experience ever, just a stealthy hermit trying to survive.

14. Borodin says:

Hmm. Another brown game

• Xzi says:

The colors are a bit washed out in the trailer, but it’s far from all brown unless you’re colorblind.

15. zarnywoop says:

The thing that has always ‘bothered’ me (although not really) is that when you “skin” an animal for its hide, the animation is that the player pulls out a big chunk of meat/guts but the animal carcass still has its skin on it which then goes merrily sliding down the hill side.

16. Geebs says:

Tiger riding and bear punching is all very well, but the minimap full of icons and “press X to tame” don’t particularly appeal. At least they resisted the urge to add lens flares, 20,000 years before the invention of the camera.

• Geebs says:

I’m going to have to give a few points back for the inclusion of prehistoric David Walliams.

• king0zymandias says:

I bet there will be eldertrees all over the map that you will have to climb one so that you can reveal all 500 collectible berries hidden in the vicinity of said eldertree. And I use the term climb very generously because it is quite unlikely that they will create new mechanics that will allow proper free form climbing, it will be more like clambering across the predefined path within the tree structure.

17. iambecomex says:

So FC4’s Shangri-La was a test for this then?

18. KastaRules says: