Daddy’s Home: Killing Floor 2 Brings Back The Patriarch

Killing Floor 2 [official site] continues to roll on through Steam Early Access, and yesterday brought a hefty update that’s mostly great and a wee bit divisive. Tripwire’s co-op wave survival FPS now has a new class in the dual-wielding Gunslinger, a new final boss in the Patriarch returned from KF1, two new levels, new weapons, a new playable character, and oh, cosmetic items coming as drops, in TF2-style crates, or simply sold in a microtransaction store. Those seem pretty innocuous so far, really.

I’ve had a brief play of the Return of the Patriarch update, and I dig it. I’m a sucker for forests, and especially ones with rivers and waterfalls I can get in, and Black Forest is a good forest. It feels unnervingly open, with so many routes into the river channel the map flows around, but the side paths winding through the trees are more confined and conventional. The Gungslinger’s pretty nice too – lots of headshotting with dual honking great revolvers, which also is very much my My Bag. As for the returning Patriarch, I dig his new extra-mutated look. The new character’s a grubby metalhead with a spiked cowboy hat – aye, that’s about who I’d expect to find in the Black Forest – though you will need to follow the KF2 Steam Group to use him.

And then, cosmetic things! It’s TF2’s hats, basically. You’ll get drops while playing, which might be e.g. a headband for a character to wear (as I have received). Or you might get a ‘supply crate’ containing a random weapon or item skin from a selection, which you’ll need to buy a key to open. Tripwire are also selling character skin packs directly. So far, it… all looks like how the first Killing Floor ran, really. Only now you can trade and sell your cosmetic things.

Along with years of free KF updates, Tripwire released oodles of paid DLC: 21 DLC packs in all, including cosmetic character and weapon skins, new cosmetic character models, and brand new weapons which worked differently. So far, KF2 only has cosmetic stuff, and if one player on a server has a weapon then everyone can use it. Adding DLC while a game’s still in Early Access does feel a bit gross, and Tripwire probably should’ve mentioned these plans sooner. But as they explained when announcing the Trading Floor Zed-conomy, they need to add and test it now so it’ll be ready when KF2 actually launches. Creating new skins also uses a part of the development team who might have a bit less to do nowadays – it’s not like artists would otherwise be mucking in with the programming.

I’m sure you can imagine what’s happening with its player reviews on Steam.

Anyway! Here’s a trailer:

1. Synesthesia says:

Yes! If there’s one thing Tripwire can do well, it’s gunplay. Can’t wait to try this when i get home.

• USER47 says:

Some of the pistols are quite fun. But Tripwire somehow managed to completely screw the sound of 9mm pistol, and the new 1911 sounds like crap as well.

They did good thing to aiming the dual pistols. You can either use the system from KF1, or switch to more precise aiming from previous KF2 versions with alt fire.

• Conehead The Barbarian says:

I really like the new 9mm sounds, but I agree with the 1911 it doesn’t sound the best.

2. TheRealHankHill says:

Wow, those reviews are some of the most hilariously toxic, misinformed, and infuriating things I have ever read on the steam store. Wish you could mark reviews for removal for putting up blatantly false information.

• USER47 says:

That’s normal, people are and will be clueless idiots. The recent Payday 2 situation was even worse.

• Kitsunin says:

Well to be fair, the Payday 2 situation was worse. Way way way worse.

• Kitsunin says:

That is to say, the state of the game, what the devs did, backing out of literal promises, etc.

• USER47 says:

The state of the game is fine, the microtransactions themselves change very little as the stat boosts on some of the skins are very marginal. They just made a mistake of stating there wouldn’t be any microtransaction 2 years ago, and I guess the financial situation led them to back on this claim. That’s why most of the development studios stay silent on these kinds of promises, because crazy gamers go batshit insane over anything they can point their fingers to.

I enjoyed the game before, I enjoy it now, the skins don’t change shit, it’s still the same game. The recent weapon rebalance changed the game far more than microtransaction, but they are still tweaking it so it doesn’t concern me all that much either.

• NegativeNancy says:

Any examples?

3. TheRealHankHill says:

I’m not convinced any of these people reviewing have read a line of code in their life or worked on a large team project. Setting up this system will have taken so little time. Then it’s just up to the art team who are likely sitting idle often to implement it. Heres a piece of wisdom for all you salty chuckle heads, don’t buy Early Access if you are going to whine and cry about the game changing or not coming to a full release. Idiots.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

These people will be taken care of when Chairman Trump sits on the Oval Throne in January 2017. True Gaming will be made great again.

4. padger says:

Fighting the patriarchy seems a bit feminist, doesn’t it?

• Preciousgollum says:

Oh no!
      Its Capitalist Patriarch! – The digital embodiment of both anti-feminist and pro-micro-transactions.

P.S This is a deliberate attempt at humour,
      I have Killing Floor 2, but doubt I will get around to to playing it, so none of these things affect me deeply…

5. Hobbes says:

I bailed on KF2 because it bounced off of me at the time, and grabbed a refund. Right now I feel like I dodged a bullet. Not being funny, but setting up a CS:GO style market -before- the game has even made release isn’t the most sensible of ideas particularly in light of Overkill’s shenanigans.

Also, to the above poster who had the temerity to suggest there was anything wrong with what happened to Overkill concerning Payday 2? No. They got what they rightfully deserved under the circumstances. Considering the massive rivers of DLC they put out, and despite that, they had positive press and a good standing among the community, they managed to urinate that goodwill away in record time.

As far as I’m concerned, what Overkill has done has effectively “poisoned the well” for a lot of companies looking to break into the concept of microtransactions for the PC market, because as a direct result of their ham fisted actions, consumers have entirely lost trust in the system as a whole. Now when ANY developer does it, regardless of how well intentioned it might be, they’re going to find that the response is at best guarded, and at worst, toxic.

You reap what you sow, people. You reap what you sow.

• Malibu Stacey says:

So you’d prefer the Overkill method of saying there will never be microtransactions in the game & then adding microtransactions to the game 2 years later?

When would you prefer they set up a “CS:GO style market”? Because doing after the game launches seems to me to be a little disingenuous.

• Hobbes says:

Well here’s a novel idea. How about oh I dunno, several months to a year after the game has released, garnered a good, stable community behind it, got several people on board who want to develop community content for it, and Tripwire, in discussions with the community, float the idea of say, putting a TF2 style *purely cosmetic* market system into the game that people can submit their works to, and get rewarded for, and, wait for it…

Include people in the discussion at every step of the way.

This took me all of thirty seconds to think up, plan, and put out. It would take me all of thirty minutes to come up with a more detailed version that would withstand actual scrutiny. Honestly, we have brains between our ears, how difficult is it to USE THEM.

As opposed to releasing it right on the heels of Overkill urinating drunkenly into the pool and making damn sure any similar programme, no matter how well intentioned, was going to go down like a proverbial lead balloon.

Common sense. It should be a superpower.

6. anHorse says:

Defending microtransactions in paid games
    In paid early access games

Sort yourselves out commenters

• AngusPrune says:

I can’t get too mad. After all, this was basically the business model of Killing Floor 1 too. Only in those days they called it DLC, not microtransactions. Same cosmetic stuff though.

• Hobbes says:

Except that’s not entirely true, at least not in the early days. Back to begin with, a lot of the DLC included weapon packs, character models, and actual content on top of the cosmetics. Granted, later on when Tripwire got a whiff of that sweet sweet gravy train it definitely went the way of the cosmetic bandwagon, but not to begin with.

That said, Tripwire are getting some (and note I use the word some, as opposed to all, thankfully they avoided making the skins stat boosting, otherwise I’d have used words to describe them that would have made this post 18+) rightly deserved blowback from being dumb enough to make a tone deaf move in light of what Overkill did.

If I was in a position of power in Tripwire, and knowing the gaming world as I do, the last thing I would want to do, as Tripwire, would be to poke the already loudly buzzing hornets’ nest that Overkill already flung bricks and excrement at. That’s just stupidity at work. When it comes to it, you take a look at the situation and you go :

“Okay, these devs just wrecked their goodwill, how can we avoid doing the same thing?”

Protip – It’s not by poking the hornets’ nest…

If they had the technology in place and seeing as it’s soup and nuts to implement anyways, why not hold it back, and give the buzzing a little bit of time to settle, and then test the waters, I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but I’d -think- that you might want to wait a bit of time after what happened with the Payday mess before unleashing your own Crat-er-iffic economy upon a game that isn’t even out of SEA yet.

• Jalan says:

It wasn’t until late in the first Killing Floor’s lifespan that they began to include weapon & weapon skin DLC. Before that, it was largely the (arguably) cosmetic variety in the form of character skin packs. Then not long after that it was “premium” single character skins that included voiceovers. Then eventually they rolled out the community weapons and weapon skin packs.

• TheRealHankHill says:

It is the exact same thing, no reason to get upset but troglodytes gonna troglodyte. It’s a good thing, I don’t want to play with people who are that stupid.

• Al Bobo says:

It’s Early Access game, but devs have pretty good track record of delivering/supporting their games so micro-transactions are ok in my book. As long as they keep weapons out of it.
      I’m not so interested of those extra skins, but if someone wants to buy them, go for it.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Getting butthurt about skin transactions and a drop system that gives you free stuff when KF1 had skins AND different weapons for purchase through DLC. Lol, you need more than just sorting out.

• gobergarter says:

The only reason they do it is because, for some reason, supporting consumer rights is now something only “goobergaters” care about. The moment you raise a point about a practice being just a tiny bit shitty, you’re labeled a bigot.

But what do I know? I’m an awful racist bigot according to the hugbox here ;)

• Hobbes says:

Hey, it’s still sane here. There’s other sites over the pond that have gone full out crazy. I mean ker-a-zee.

7. CMaster says:

I’m not sure that any kind of lock-and-key, nagging, system with gambling like RNG elements can ever be described as innocuous. It’s a nasty sales system, designed to pull on some compulsive psycological levers.

That said, if it’s at least all cosmetic, and doesn’t get in the way of receiving other, game related items, it should be relativley easy to ignore

• TheRealHankHill says:

It’s 100% cosmetic and won’t affect you unless you CHOOSE to let it. That’s why rational people are laughing at all the salty idiots.

• EhexT says:

It’s 100% cosmetic, except for the official FAQ in which they specifically state that it won’t be all 100% cosmetic.

Please try and get your facts right before you ridicule people for not getting their facts right.

• Hobbes says:

This.

And the fact it’s being slotted in during EA definitely smacks of Tripwire thinking of the gravy train long before they’ve actually got the game sorted out. Can’t say that is the right kind of priority in my book, and as I said elsewhere, it’s a bad plan to poke the hornets’ nest.