Telltale’s The Walking Dead: Michonne Starts February

Now that Telltale have wrapped up the first series of Tales From the Borderlands and Game of Thrones, it’s time to show a little more of what’s coming next. Last night they announced a Batman series, but also showed off something sooner. A wee trailer for The Walking Dead: Michonne [official site] shows that the three-episode miniseries, which fills in the story during a gap in the comics, will start in February 2016. Oh, and Michonne won’t be voiced by her TV actor, but is having words put in her mouth by the excellent Samira Wiley – Poussey from Orange Is the New Black.

Telltale explain, “The story explores Michonne [. . .] on an untold journey during the time between issues #126 and #139. Haunted by her past, players will discover what took her away from Rick, Ezekiel, and the rest of her trusted group… and what brought her back.”

When Telltale announced the miniseries back in June, they had planned to kick it off in autumn. That obviously didn’t happen, and it’s curious that something they thought was only a few months away ended up taking a whole lot longer. They do juggle an awful lot of games at once, mind, so I can imagine they might have needed to shift people around to finish something else. Anyway! February 2016 it is.

How are you feeling about this one, Deadheads (as I understand you like to be called – I’ve seen your Deadhead t-shirts, and the decals in the windows of your rusting VW camper vans next to your “LEGALISE IT” and “THE POPE SMOKES DOPE” stickers)?

1. Kefren says:

I don’t remember her disappearing after the Ezekiel storyline started? Unless it is after the time jump in the “new society” Rick is making (I’ve only read the first few issues of that, probably a few more out by now). But the photo of the chained zombies implies something from right at the start, before she even met Rick, so I’m confused as to whether this is set very early, or very late, in the graphic novel series.

• Kefren says:

Doh, just saw the issues were mentioned, though because I buy the compilations I’m never aware of what issue numbers they include. Still, that must be quite late on in the story. Just weird to show an image that came right from the start.

• LetSam says:

Check the fine print on the page with the Image Comics credits. It mentions what issues are collected in each trade paperback/hardcover. That should help.

2. Thirith says:

I wonder how, or to what extent, this’ll tie in with the earlier games. I stopped reading the comic pretty quickly, because I wasn’t much invested in the characters, so having a series that ties in with the comics but not the games isn’t one I’m immediately interested in.

• GameCat says:

I wouldn’t except this game to tie directly with previous two. Although it would be nice and maybe could open a path to include some characters from the game in comics book, as all Telltale TWD games are canon to comics.

3. Cryio says:

I wonder when Telltale’s will improve their always old and creaky engine. Since 2010 they had this horrible engine.

4. Kefren says:

Just started playing The Wolf Among Us, and found it has the same irritating “Next Time!” bit at the end of each level, where it gives loads of spoilers for situations and characters that are coming up. Presumably to tempt you to buy the next episode – totally redundant when you bought the whole game. To me it implies a lack of faith in the quality of what they made, since they feel that it isn’t enough to make you keep playing, they need extra enticement. It’s an unskippable pain. I have to turn the sound off and look away, and try and judge when it is over so I can turn sound back on and have the ending music. I think that puts me off Telltale stuff more than the lack of replayability.

5. SaintAn says:

I’m a big TWD fan, but I’m not really interested in this. It feels lore breaking, even if it does take place during the time skip. Would much rather have more Clementine or a story with a new group set somewhere else.

• alms says:

Maybe they’ll sneak in some cameo? but yeah, not hugely interested in the comic’s universe at this point. Still, will keep an open mind, let’s see the reviews first.

6. Gordon Shock says:

Great! I was so hoping that the game would tell us where she went and why, I am excited now.

7. AngusPrune says:

I’m kind of interested in this, but I’m done buying Telltale games as episodic game series. It was fine when they released one episode a month like clockwork, but the new strategy of just releasing them whenever they’re done just doesn’t work for me. By the time a new episode comes out, I’ve entirely forgotten what happened in the last one.

Call me when the whole damn thing is finished and released.

8. Snixtor says:

That’s not Michonne’s sword. What am I missing?