Dragon Quest Heroes Arrives On PC

Given the fact the Dragon Quest series now spans four decades, it seems a shame that it’s featured so little on PC over the years. The latest series offering – action-RPG spin-off Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe [official site] – marks the first to arrive on Steam (dubbed Slime Edition) and is out now. Think typically whimsical, triumphalist, equal parts irritating/inspiring fantasy characters merged with combo-driven Dynasty Warriors-style action.

Although developed by the guys behind Dynasty Warriors themselves, Omega Force, Dragon Quest Heroes still leans heavy on its narrative elements in keeping with the style of its series forerunners, while adopting a more hands-on approach on the battlefield. In short: there’s still plenty of dungeons, roaming, townships and Slimes.

Storywise, in true fantasy RPG form, a chain of unfortunate events has turned the once docile creatures of the land into frenzied monsters. Can you guess where this is going? Yup, it’s then up to you to guide hero Luceus or heroine Aurora in a quest to – you guessed it – Restore Order To The Kingdom. Along the way you’ll be joined by 13 familiar faces from previous Dragon Quest games, none of which matter as much as the uber cool and genuinely laugh-out-loud-funny Cockney ruffian Yangus. PC users can also look forward to extras in the way of two extra maps and 11 “gloopy Slime Weapons”. Huh.

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe is out now on Steam for £39.99. Have a gander at the launch trailer:

1. anHorse says:

“Koei”

So is it going to be yet another terrible port?

• Baines says:

There are already plenty of complaints on the Steam forums, but it sounds like some may be from people who are running it on machines that are too weak (DQH is a DirectX 11 PS4 port, while the various Warriors games were less demanding DirectX 9.0c PS3 ports).

There are also complaints about the frame rate, but from what I recall there were framerate complaints for the console version as well.

• wu wei says:

They can always just blame that on SJWs and sell a 100k more copies.

• Strabo says:

No, it’s a very good port, bug-free, good performance, well done, useable mouse/keyboard controls. Only two baffling decisions: max 1080p and no AA. Which means I have to run it in a window on my 1440p monitor. Still more than worth it, great, fun game.

2. Eight Rooks says:

It depends on how much of a card-carrying PC Master Race type you are. It only supports up to 1080, has very little AA, cutscenes are pre-rendered and power-up animations run at 60FPS rather than 30. Other than that it’s great – none of that bothers me anyway, and it’s given me no other problems. Unlike DW8 it’s plainly a PS4 port.

• Eight Rooks says:

EDIT: Reply fail to anHorse, if any other comments pop up to make that less obvious.

3. Kitsunin says:

Technical problems seem to be extant, but mostly unimportant by my standards. Seems to be one of their better ports, though still quite a ways from perfect.

I am eagerly waiting for the download to finish, myself, this looks fantastic, and I was so shocked to hear we’d see it on PC. I understand not supporting bad ports, but darn it I’m so happy to see any ports that I don’t mind too much.

4. Squishydew says:

I really hope they dont base their future PC releases on the sales of this product.

I’m dying for dragon quest RPG’s on PC, but this action RPG spin off? I really just don’t care the littlest of bits.

I’d pretty much instantly purchase an actual dragon quest series game though.

• Kitsunin says:

Considering what they’ve been doing lately, I’d bet this being ported has little to do with Square Enix and everything to do with Koei. So short of being another Valkyria Chronicles, I doubt it’ll make a difference.

• Eight Rooks says:

Actually people have been getting VERY CROSS on Steam because some Squenix representative explicitly said they are considering bringing DQ games over, based on how well this one does.

Though I think you’re underestimating how popular Musou/Warriors games actually are. Nintendo commissioned one to try and shift the Wii U, remember? And AFAIK it’s still regarded as one of the few third-party exclusives actually worth having. This is still sitting in the top 20 on Steam, and it did reach the top 10 on release. Whether or not that’s good enough for Squenix or Koei Tecmo I have no idea, but lots of people plainly do care.

• Kitsunin says:

Oh, well if Squenix actually said that…eww, that’s horrible. It’s not even the same damn genre.

But I certainly was not saying I don’t think the Warriors games have clout, rather that us seeing this game was symptomatic of Koei’s recent efforts at porting rather than any indication of Squenix giving a damn about PC players. And it having success rationally shouldn’t make a damn difference toward Squenix’s decisions unless it’s a breakout success because wow, it’s not even the same damn genre.

• Space_Masters says:

Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, I’ve been playing Mordheim lately and it feels very similar the way it plays.

5. racccoon says:

Looks a ok game for those in the ps world.
    As usual though a PC is last thought for cash.
    I do not see ports as a great thing, especially on the road to the PC, if it started as PC game then ok, but, ported to PC, it always looks & plays like one sadly.
    Its unfortunate, but, that’s the problem.
    Really though, just let us use a emulator, rather than waste of time port version..lol
    At least with a emulator you can strive hard to fight the barriers with guts & a reason.

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t understand at all. The great thing about PC is that there are no restrictions to what can be a PC game. Games can be totally PC only with mouse and keyboard and even cool filesystem tricks (Irisu Syndrome!) or they can be identical to their console version and that’s still fine because we can plug controllers into our USB ports.

No limits, so why the hell make them!?

6. LaKriz says:

Four decades? I mean seriously: 1975?

The Atari 2600 was available from 1977 on, the Nintendo Famicom entered the market in 1983.

The first DQ title has been developed by Chunsoft and was published by Enix on May the 27th 1986 for the Famicom.

• JuJuCam says:

The full phrase is “The DQ series spans four decades.” 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s = a series that spans across four decades.

• Baines says:

It also spans two centuries, and two millennia.

Or 29 years.