Payday 2 Gets Point Break Remake Tie-In DLC

Since launch, Payday 2 [official site] has received a staggering 39 different bits of DLC that range, from festive soundtracks to cross-promotional movie-game tie ins. John Wick joined the co-op crime FPS last year, and now it’s going a bit Point Break. Overkill have teamed up with Warner Bros. to add things loosely inspired by the upcoming remake (no, not the 1991 Patrick Swayze-starring original) to Payday 2, in both a free update and extra paid DLC.

The Point Break celebrations come in two parts. The first is the free-of-charge Bodhi Character Pack, which adds the leader of the Ex-Presidents gang (originally played by Swayze, now to be played by a fellow named Edgar Ramirez), new weapons, perks and masks. The second is ‘The Point Break Heists’ DLC itself, which costs £4.99 and brings with it a new pistol, four new melee weapons, six new songs, and two new heists named ‘Beneath the Mountain’ and ‘Birth of Sky’. You get to rob a plane 20,000 feet above the ground, then parachute out.

Speaking of the original film, Starbreeze CEO Bo Andersson-Klint said: “Point Break has always been a huge inspiration for the Payday games, so to be able to integrate the film’s characters and story lines into Payday 2 is a dream come true.”

Overkill’s recent decision to add microtransaction bonuses to Payday 2 didn’t sit well with some players, and this batch of cross-promotional content seems to have split some fans’ opinions.

The character pack was released free as an update, and should have downloaded automatically, while the DLC is sold on Steam. Here’s a look at what they both add:

1. ScottTFrazer says:

“no, not the 1991 Patrick Swayze-starring original”

Boooooo.

So much possibility just left there, untouched. Gary Busey randomly driving through a scene with a chili dog in his hand. The Red Hot Chili Peppers trying to beat up Neo. Dr. Cox yelling in incoherent rage at Ted ‘Theodore’ Logan.

Sigh.

2. USER47 says:

The new heists are great, currently among the best ones in the game. Perkdeck is a bit meh though, and as far as I am concerned, all the characters except the original four are superfluous.

• LionsPhil says:

Regardless of relative subjective appreciation of them, I find Jacket’s call-outs are the clearest to hear by far. Tape lady has excellently crisp, clear diction.

Down.
      Get down.

• USER47 says:

Arms outstretched! Arms outstretched!:-D

I usually play with Wolf, I like his pager responses and his shouting when calling out specials.

• WarderDragon says:

I think there’s room for both old and new Hoxton, but I don’t care about the rest. Though I’d make concessions for a playable Ilja. His voice-over is fantastic.

• USER47 says:

I also kind of tolerate Clover as she reminds me of Wolf in those awkward pager responses and she looks somewhat realistic, far from stereotypical supermodel. But i couldn’t care less about Dragan, Jiro, Sokol, Bonnie, Jacket, Wick or Bodhi.

• KDR_11k says:

What, you don’t like “You can’t see me, I’m invisible”?

3. int says:

Woah.

4. ooshp says:

Original would have been much cooler. Drop Zone next? Another little Busey gem.

5. thenevernow says:

Shameless money-grabbing game ties in with shameless money-grabbing movie remake with a robbery theme. Fair enough.

6. SaintAn says:

Boycott Point Break and WB!

• Jalan says:

If by ‘boycott’, you mean ‘don’t see’ then I’m on the same page. I was immediately disinterested when I first read the news they were remaking Point Break and that hasn’t changed since.

Hollywood should be proud of themselves though, since the US release date of December 25 will secure it as yet another box office bomb for that day but it will have the distinction of being such without Keanu Reeves actually starring in it unlike 47 Ronin.

7. Zekiel says:

Irenicus for next DLC please.

8. anHorse says:

“microtransaction bonuses”

Now there’s a PR line

9. Shizzle says:

“…staggering 39 different bits of DLC…”. Haha, yep.DLC simulator. So, no thanks. Stopped playing PD2 long time ago.

10. RegisteredUser says:

Still doesn’t rectify the whole “Surprise! Microtransactions for advantages!” situation at all to me.
    I’ll be holding that grudge until pay2unlock items become 100% cosmetic or they replace it with a more direct “customization for small change” marketplace.
    Chivalry:MF has shown how it can be done without impacting anything game related at all.

11. Viral Frog says:

I quit playing Payday 2 when Overkill decided to slap everyone in the face and add MTs. “… staggering 39 bits of DLC”. As if this wasn’t them milking the player base, now they’re turning the remaining player base into a bunch of autonomous ATMs.

• KDR_11k says:

To be fair it’s just a heist, if you don’t buy it you will hardly notice its existence (though AFAIK you can join heists you don’t own, just not host them). Well, okay, you might see the new pistol or masks in a match but it’s no game changer.

12. slerbal says:

I’m done with Payday2. The only bit I still enjoy is the cracking music. The game is nothing like the one I bought and for all the wrong reasons.