Undead Undead Undead! Dying Light: Enhanced Edition

Yes, I know this screen is from The Following.

For a while, earlier this year, Adam would come back from his lunch break with suspicious rips in his clothes, dust and dirt on his knees, and blood soaking him from head to toe. No matter how much he insisted he’d simply smoked a particularly dangerous cigarette, we knew: he was on the parkour-a-zomb-o-kills. Adam liked Dying Light [official site], I’m trying to say. He liked the video game. He thought it was good.

Hey, Adam, good news: it’s getting even fancier in an Enhanced Edition, coming as a free update in February. Its expansion, The Following, has a release date now too.

Here’s what developers Techland say to expect from the Enhanced Edition:

• Improved Volatile AI
  • Greater Firearm Variety
  • HUD and Video Filter Customizations
  • Audio Upgrades
  • Gameplay Quality Improvements
  • Overall Game Look and Feel Improvements

You can see wee bits of a few of those in this trailer:

The Enhanced Edition will arrive as a downloadable update on February 9th, launching alongside Dying Light’s expansion The Following and the newly-announced Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition. That’s a new retail release which will include the base game in Enhanced form and the DLC season pass – its ‘Game of the Year Edition’, basically.

Things have got a bit confusing around Dying Light lately, what with Techland raising prices on the season pass and The Following (it grew big enough to cost more, they say). To help clear this up, they’ve drawn up a diagram to explain who can get exactly what and how.

And hey, here’s a new gameplay vid showing eleven minutes of The Following:

1. crowleyhammer says:

Have they made it so you can look at your watch in game as opposed to having to got to a menu? bizarre decision that!

2. Enfuego says:

It’s not terribly important, what with safehouses everywhere and two sunset announcement, but it’s nice to know how much time you have for your last quest before nightfall. With all the awesome extremity animations in first person, and the giant glowing watch on your arm, a button to look at said watch would be cool.

3. soopytwist says:

No improvement on the save system then? Seriously, if I’m in a safe house and I save the game, quit and come back to it later I expect to be back in said safe house and not half way across the map in some random location (usually with a zombie or two right behind me). Incidentally I modded Dying Light to death, longer days and nights and removal of those annoying screen messages in particular. I also moved HUD elements and increased swim speed. The mod is on my Dropbox if anyone’s interested.

• pockoman says:

Not to be a twat, but are we supposed to know how to reach your dropbox? I am not familiar with the system, so this might be a dumb question.

• horrorgasm says:

They haven’t even fixed the bugs that randomly wipe out your progress/inventory/entire character that have been screwing people over since Dead Island. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

4. Big Murray says:

If only there was a fix for the god awful story, and the game would be damn near perfect.

• suibhne says:

Pretty much. It always strikes me as bizarre that developers will spend money on strong VO acting and great character animations, then use them to support an utterly crap story.

Thank goodness so much of the game is ace, especially the parkour (both in and out of combat).

• Shakes999 says:

No shit. Look, I know it’s a zombie parkour game so I wasn’t expecting Shakespeare but good lord… give me something that isn’t…….THAT.

They would have been better off scrapping the main story and fleshing out some of the EXCELLENT side quests. I can’t remember which ones exactly since I haven’t played the game in months but I do remember at least 4 side quests that could have held the game up on their own.

• Eight Rooks says:

As far as I was concerned while the main story was clearly flawed, if you just accepted that the guy honestly wanted to believe he was doing the right thing it was fine. I liked it. Far more than the side quests, most of which were dull and/or painfully unfunny (Jesus Christ, Techland seem like lovely people, but they cannot write comedy to save their lives). Adam gave it far too much stick, IMO – more stories should stop trying to cater to the player’s every whim and dare to say “No, you’re not the protagonist. Yes, sometimes the protagonist is going to do painfully stupid things because he/she doesn’t know any better. Deal with it”. The excellent voice acting on the leads helped, too (and again, most of it on the side stories was awful).

• malkav11 says:

Did you play Dead Island? Dying Light is Shakespeare next to that. Maybe their next game will actually be well written.

(To be clear, I enjoyed Dead Island immensely, but the writing was not the reason!)

Serrit says:

As ever with these things, if you get to the point where you need a diagram in order to explain to people how to buy your stuff, you might be over-complicating things…

Gassalasca says:

Ah, Alice, you old Goth.

7. rabbit says:

bela lugosi’s dead is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a great song

8. goettel says:

This makes me want The Following less, is that weird? I love the base game, which gives me a lot of tools to ignore its story, and the ‘enhancements’ will surely make it better, right? Right?

But The Following, sweet as it looks, is mostly about adding story (meh), a huge countryside with little parkour (double meh) and buggies. Buggies are cool, so instead of getting The Following now, I’ll finally just start on Far Cry 3. It all makes sense now.

9. Atomica says:

I liked the game in general. It’s a cobbling together of bits of Far Cry 3, Dead Island (of course) and various other games, but it works. I had fun running around chopping limbs from zombies or kicking them onto spikes or down some stairs.

The main story is average at best, but the end sequence is awful. So awful in fact that I immediately uninstalled the game when I completed it. I won’t spoil it (not that there’s much enjoyment to be had) but it descends into QTE stuff and basically ignores everything you’ve learned up to that point. Never mind the carefully constructed weapons you killed dozens of zombies for, nor the amazing skills you unlocked because you won’t have need for those.

What annoyed me most about the end was dying so much because I failed to press the arbitrary QTE button at the right time.

10. SomeDuder says:

So it’s basically a GotY version but with a few patches? Cool. I’m wanting to play this, but not for €50,-. It’ll end up as a 75% discount sooner or later (Hoping for sooner with the Christmas sale coming up) anyway.