Full Throttle Remastered Announced For 2017

Gosh-o! I guess Double Fine are remaking every adventure game Tim Schafer worked on at LucasArts that they can get their hands on! Over the weekend they announced a ‘Remastered’ version of fantastic futurebiker adventure Full Throttle. It’s fantastic, and it’s been off store shelves for far too long. We’ll have a while to wait yet, though: it’s not due until 2017.

Double Fine say in the announcement:

“Full Throttle Remastered will feature all new artwork, with high resolution backgrounds and animation, with each frame being repainted by hand. We’ll be aiming to restore the sound and music to a higher quality, and we’ll also fill the game with special features like concept artwork, commentary tracks and as many other things as we can think of!”

I assume, and hope, that it’ll have an option to play with the original pixel art graphics. Double Fine’s Day of the Tentacle Remastered looks a whole lot less interesting than the original to my eye, but will have an option to use the original art. Their remastered Grim Fandango does look great, mind.

Yeah, Full Throttle’s combat was iffy, but it is real good video gaming fun. It’s got some gentle puzzling, a lovely story, and some hard-rocking, face-smashing biker action. Also, if you’re not spoiler-averse, do read Cara’s bit on its core relationship – not just because she compares me to Mo Corley.

Anyway here, from the 1995 original, is the coolest intro in all of video games:

DuncUK says:

This is the one Lucasarts Schafer game that I missed first time around, so I’m definitely looking forward to this. I wonder what they’ll do with the famously clunky action sequences?

• ansionnach says:

I’d say they’d have to leave them in. They’re reasonably easy to win and there are some puzzles to be solved around the part of the game where they strongly feature. If there was an auto-win option it would reveal the fact that winning here isn’t about the combat, but something else…

2. Jediben says:

Gaming has truly become the equal of Hollywood: returning to past glories as “reboots” and “reimaginings” at least 50 years faster than the silver screen managed it. Bravo!

• Det. Bullock says:

Not exactly, first with sound and then with colour Hollywood went into waves of remakes, many movies like Ben Hur were remakes of silent and/or in black and white, sometimes with less than twenty years of distance from the original.

• lokimotive says:

Yeah, these arguments always seem fairly naive about the way art has worked not just in a capitalistic society, but in any society since the beginning of time. People have been remixing, remaking, and remastering art and re-releasing it rapidly since the beginning of time.

• ansionnach says:

Ben-Hur is an excellent example in this case because it shows what the difference can be when a remake (the 1959 version) is given considerable resources – it has a much better chance of succeeding. Both it and the 1925 version had considerable budgets and they’re both well-regarded. The 1959 remake is better known and had a higher adjusted budget (according to http://www.dollartimes.com the 1925 version cost $53.8m and the 1959 version cost $123.5m in today’s money). These remakes need the budget, time and talent to succeed, otherwise we’d be much better off with a straight port using the original assets. Since ScummVM already exists, a simple re-release is all we need.

• LionsPhil says:

What’s funny in these cases is that Double Fine get a lot of credit for being some imagination power-house, but it seems they’ve recently hit the bottom of the bucket and are heading straight down into bedrock. Remakes and sequels, woo. Why do we give them more of a pass than Big Evil Publishers putting old intellectual property through the wringer for another good squeeze, again?

• PancakeWizard says:

“Why do we give them more of a pass than Big Evil Publishers putting old intellectual property through the wringer for another good squeeze, again?”

The cynic in me says “Because San Francisco”. Much of games media desperately wants to be part of the new game ‘scene’ and DF are very much a part of that, albeit one with past credentials.

• Hobbes says:

Basically, San Francisco, mixed with a very healthy dollop of hypocrisy on the part of the Mainstream Gaming Media, which says it’s fashionable to like things which some Indie Game Developers do (particularly ones based around the bay area and/or on good terms with specific press outlets) and decry the acts and words of others (which is how we wind up with situations where someone like TotalBiscuit only gets airtime on sites which are Tin-foil Hat factories).

I did put together a far more nuanced set of arguments but apparently that caused peoples’ heads to explode since the entire discussion went for a wander. Odd that :)

Andy_Panthro says:

You’re cursing this now, when we’ve had multiple remakes and a reboot of King’s Quest 1? Sierra remade it a mere 6 years after first release!

(not to mention all the other Sierra remakes, and the various other games over the years that have received updated versions).

• LionsPhil says:

If you mean the VGA remakes KQ, SQ, LSL and possibly a few others got, the were substantial reworkings of all the art, audio, and interface, and in that “only six years” the technological capabilities had radically changed. I don’t think they’re really comparable.

• Booker says:

There is one huge and important difference though. Other than movies, games can become incompatible and might not run anymore on newer operating systems. I’d rather have such a remake available, than see a good game gone. Not every game is so lucky to have an awesome tool like ScummVM at the ready.

3. Pazguato says:

I don’t understand these remasters, the pixel looking is a classic beyond trends.

• Yachmenev says:

It’s nice to have an additional option though, isn’t it?

• Pazguato says:

If the additional (and main) option is, like with Monkey I and II, a new awful art that will live forever beside (and over) the great art of Peter Chan and Steve Purcell, then I don’t want such an option.
        Anyway, like Alice wrote, Day of the Tentacle remastered (unpixeled) looks a bit bland and without character. Grim Fandango was fine, but those were polygons.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, the original Full Throttle has some amazing pixelart craftmanship. And it’s really slickly animated too. The tech side of getting it running nicely on space future-computers has already been solved by ScummVM.

Again, this is a case of “if you have the time, money, and talent to do this justice again—which you don’t—you’d be better off just making a new awesome game”.

• Stuart Walton says:

I, for one, look forward to better audio. (Assuming they still have masters)

4. melnificent says:

At this rate we’ll get a remake of spacebase next year with all the promised bits included.

• Hobbes says:

That would require effort and thought.

This just requires them to fish out the assets and remake them for current tech.

5. deiseach says:

I’m not putting my lips on that.

6. Spacewalk says:

I actually found a Gone Jackals CD in a second hand music store once but I went with something else instead. It woulda been a neat conversation starter but I really couldn’t give two hoots about biker rock.

7. unacom says:

I´m totally content with a simple rerelease. I´m not so much into the remaking, remastering, remarketing-hype. However, there are games which are so good, everybody should have two copies of. Just in case. Full Throttle is one of them.

8. Paxeh says:

I was very unimpressed with the Day of the Tentacle remake. I was very unimpressed with the delay and “let’s cut it in half” Broken Age hijinks. I was extremely unimpressed with the 19 euro shaped hole in my pocket left by Spacebase. I am now wary of the Psychonauts 2 crowdfunding campaign.

For the past couple of years the wargaming boards I frequent have adopted the mantra “Do Not Give Games Workshop Your Money”. I’m slowly beginning to adopt the mantra of “Do Not Give Tim Schafer Your Money”.

I am aware, however, that saying so would bring the ire of many a person and would brand me a heretic and “terrible person”. I’m even sure two of my friends would declare me dead to them, as they are sure Tim Schafer is the second coming of Christ.

• harley9699 says:

I’ll wear the Scarlet Letter with you then. I saw Double Fine and my immediate reaction was, “I’m out.” After all of the disappointments (and flat-out screwing [DS9], they don’t get any more of my money. Only thing even decent was Massive Chalice, and “decent” may be a little strong.

• EvaUnit02 says:

The Day of the Tentacle remake ISN’T OUT YET and NOBODY’S PLAYED IT, so how the hell would you know? Angry Internet Men, being irrational thinkers since 2008.

• oueddy says:

Sadly agreed (apart from dismissing a game that isnt out yet). I’m done with Double Fine as a company with the straw that broke the camels’ back being the atrocious mess of the second act of Broken Age. Waking up to the realisation of Kickstarter isn’t exactly a new thing this year, the only KS projects I’ve backed and enjoyed have been tiny niche titles by single devs.

9. tranchera says:

For anyone watching the intro not in the know, the fatter guy in the limo (Ripburger) is voiced by Mark Hamill.

And I don’t know what everyone’s talking about. The bike fights are some of the most fun combat in any game I played as a kid. It’s supposed to be clunky, you’re trying to ride a bike and beat another guy with a plank of wood at the same time.

10. Michael Fogg says:

Ho yes, I expect an expanded version of the famous ‘kick the right spot of this wall’ puzzle. The destruction derby minigame, with the accompanying sound effects, now in HD. And the classic trial-and-error grind of the road battle sequence. Full Throttle, making bikers look boring since 1997.

• Blackrook says:

I agree the road battle bit was annoying but it did have some classic lines:

“Not with my box of bunnies!”
      “I’ve never liked noserings”
      “I’m not putting my lips on that!”
      “I bet bunnies aren’t allowed either”

Quoteble for so many social occasions

• Poison_Berrie says:

I’ll always like this gem:

“You know what would look better your nose?

THE BAR!”

Phasma Felis says:

“I don’t collect art. And I also don’t collect whatever that is.”

11. Barchester says:

It’s like they’re remaking and remastering my entire childhood! Childhood 2.0, colour me excited.

12. Risingson says:

I really think this game is underrated. As with all the adventure games, it received criticism of being too hard and being too easy at the same time. And though the arcade sequences are not a bright addition, I cannot understand the frustration with them. Cmon, games are frustration until you know how to pass the stage, the puzzle or similar.

• ansionnach says:

It’s a great game, alright – short… but sweet and generally not too difficult. The fighting? It serves its purpose, without being that hard. I remember a lot of frustration with it, but I was trying to beat guys without the correct weapon. Some fights are impossible to win without a little puzzling and the right tools, but they’re easy with them, meaning that the fighting does work fine from an adventure game design standpoint.

13. Churba says:

I’m curious as to what they’ll do with the voicework – After all, Roy Conrad’s been dead for a number of years now, and it’s just not the same without him – Without that voice, Ben’s character loses something. Someone doing an imitation would be even worse than none at all.

• Barchester says:

It’s going to be the exact same game, sound and all. Just with a new layer of paint, like the Grim Fandango and Monkey Island ones. Same voices, updated soundtrack and redone graphics painted over the old ones.

• LionsPhil says:

I suspect Mark Hamill’s a bit busy at the moment, too, and outside their budget even if he weren’t.

• elderman says:

Why do you think he’s too busy and why do you think he’s out of their budget?

Basically, I’m taking a flier that you’re talking out of your rear end. Not wrong, just opining without basis.

• LionsPhil says:

Because they’re making more Star Wars films, because he’s a big-name actor, because Double Fine at least want you to believe that they’re a little indie who has to keep dipping into crowdfunding topped up with publishers as well, because the budget of the original game was $1.5 million twenty years ago?

But no, go on, be a jackass on the Internet if you’d rather than just ask the question straight.

• elderman says:

The next Star Wars film starts primary shooting in the spring, and will take a few months at the longest, mostly not involving Hamill’s character. The press junkets for this one will wrap up soon. You don’t know Doublefine’s budget for this, you don’t know how long it would take Mark Hamill to re-record his lines, you don’t know how much he charges per day, you don’t know what he thinks about the project or the company, you don’t know what else he has on his schedule in the next year, you don’t know when Doublefine would want to record the voiceover work, if they re-recorded it. You have no basis for an opinion.

It was only a rhetorical question. I thought you’d realise that what I meant was that while normally, you write smart comments, this one’s dumb. I’m not the police of you, for sure, and maybe I misread the tone, but saw you disqualifying someone else’s musing based on ignorance, and I suited up in my white armor, jumped on my white horse and rode on in! Lo miscreant, I’ll beat you to pulp with my slightly greater knowledge of the entertainment industry.

• Jockie says:

Mark Hamill was promoting Star Citizen two weeks ago. Obviously they have silly money, but he also appeared in an episode of the Flash a year ago playing a silly reprise of a role he did twenty years earlier. I wouldn’t be so quick to write off his involvement.

• lokimotive says:

Good lord, I doubt they’re planning on re-recording the voice work! I would think they have the old masters in some form and will be starting with those. Re-recording it would just be silly.

14. onodera says:

> Sir, that’s horrible. I’m not waiting for you to die…

Still the best line delivered by any video game BBEG in transparent sheep’s clothing.

• LionsPhil says:

He’s also a lot of what makes it probably the best climactic final act in adventure games.

• deiseach says:

The first thing I think of these days when Mark Hamill is mentioned is…okay, it’ll be Luke Skywalker, but it’s a close-run thing with his voice acting. His Joker is sublime. I still giggle at the thought of him, about to cave Batman’s (geddit? Oh, never mind) head in with a tool, saying “Meanwhile, back at the WRENCH!!”

You have to hear it really.

• fupjack says:

It seems like every few years I hear about another role voiced by Mark Hamill and my initial reaction is always “that was him too?” He’s done far more voice work than I ever realized, and he’s good at it too.

gritz says:

I’m 100% in favor of DoubleFine cranking out remakes and remasters to fund their other projects, if only it meant they’d ditch crowdfunding and early access shenanigans entirely.

16. ElkiLG says:

Now do The Dig. I want those backgrounds in HD, pretty please.

• PancakeWizard says:

I’d quite like to see something a bit different done with The Dig license. A movie would be nice.

• Booker says:

I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to do anything with that, because it’s not a Tim Schafer game. I would love it too, because The Dig is astonishing, the soundtrack alone… But Day of Tentacle and Full Throttle are both his games. Grim Fandango was too. Doesn’t look like they have the rights to anything else. Would love to be wrong.

17. Nimdok says:

On one hand, remakes introduce old games to new audiences who might not have otherwise seen or played them. On the other hand, those of us who have played them see them as… well, something we’ve already played.

On the third, extraneous hand, that intro IS one of the best-plotted intro sequences in a game. Ever.

On the fourth hand, which I’m fairly certain isn’t even mine, maybe Schafer will add back in the peyote dream sequence that got cut the first time ’round.