RPS Asks… What’s The Game You’re The Worst At That You Most Enjoy?

Being bad at something doesn’t always mean it’s not enjoyable. And that’s never more the case than when there’s not an opponent to let down or feel crushed by. In the solitary land of single-player video games, it’s very possible to be absolutely dreadful at a game and yet adore playing it. Perhaps it’s even possible in multiplayer gaming too?

For me, the best example is Teleglitch. I’m not even going to tell you how embarrassingly far I’ve gotten into that game, but I’ve played it so much. But what is it for you?

If you had to guess which just-released game I’m reviewing that inspired this question, I doubt it would take long for you to suggest Nuclear Throne. I’m still in the process of discovering just how bad I am at that one. Or, and let’s be fair to me slightly, just how phenomenally difficult it is. (A quick aside aimed at blowhards: that you are exceptionally adept at a particular type of game such that it means the difficulty does not so richly challenge you does not mean the game is not difficult. It means you put all your skill points into something really stupid.)

So which game is it that you find yourself willing to replay the opening few levels of over and over, knowing you’ll likely never get the hang of it? Or in which online game do you not mind always seeing your name at the bottom of every leaderboard? When does failure not stop you from having fun?

1. Goschti says:

Dirt Rally comes to mind. I got pretty good in the meantime. But the first 100 hours I spent in the game where enjoyable and terrible at once

• eljueta says:

Second that, although i would say that its not that the game is intentionally hard, its just very good. Rally is hard Work!

• Goschti says:

I agree. I really love the game. But it is really hard to get the hang of it. By now I regularly finish the daily and weekly event in the top 250 and am able to beat the AI most of the time on masters difficulty. But getting there involved learning so much new things that I’m quite proud of what I did.

• Foosnark says:

Yup. It’s a great feeling when everything goes smoothly — say, never hitting a wall or spinning out on a 10km Monaco track — and then I find I’ve come in at something like 11th place.

Or, well, all of Finland. It seems like it should be easy, but I’m pretty sure I have hit every single tree in that event at least once.

• Foosnark says:

I should say: 11th place in a Masters tournament, not one of the online things where I can always count on being in the bottom tier.

• Bisbo says:

EA Hockey – I love the game, but probably have one of the worst on-line won-loss records of all time. It’s kind of like golf for me – totally suck at it, but once every 20 rounds or so, a good game keeps me coming back.

2. v1tr1ol says:

um, if I plays it I owns it.
    Oh…wait…there’s one game called real-life. Yeah, I suck at it.

• int says:

Yeah me too. But the graphics are amazing, it’s almost like a real FMV game.

• Rich says:

There are some really annoying scripting bugs though.

• Laak says:

Well, it has its cons too:

– no fov sliders
        – unintuitive ui
        – rubbish tutorial
        – paid dlcs
        also lacking in character customization

• Replikant says:

You probably got a console port.

• darkhog says:

Well, you can customize your character with countless clothes, but character creation is like in Rust, totally random. I think Facepunch should sue creators of Real Life(TM) for stealing their ideas.

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, I usually like having an FoV of 90 and they locked it at about 180, what the hell? I’m guessing that the default FoV in most PC games is so low because the devs noticed this problem, but overcompensated.

• Manco says:

Don’t skip the tutorial btw, loads of people who’ve done it are now stuck with a character that has virtually no access to the more advanced grinding professions.

• AlexHeartnet says:

If you get unlucky at character gen you might not even have access to a tutorial.

• harley9699 says:

I completely missed the tutorials. Now, while living the walkthrough, if I watch a youtube vid or read a winner’s AAR, I’m pissed that I made all the wrong moves while I was learning the game.

phuzz says:

There is no ‘RL’, there’s just extended AFK.

• vlonk says:

Real-Life oh man what a game! Can’t get enough of it. There is some pretty majestic stuff from what I hear from some players and see in the achievement list.

Only problem I encountered: login queue. Somethings wrong there. All the people that logged out I haven’t met ingame for AGES. Never had to deal with them but the customer support probably is overworked and understaffed. Really REALLY tough to get a hold of them too.

• AlexHeartnet says:

Can’t say I am a big fan of the perma-death or the PvP anywhere though.

I also don’t like how some portions of the community can be completely horrible at times.

• KastaRules says:

Most of the other players are jerks too. But at least you can punch them in the face, RL has its perks.

3. mavrik says:

Wargame: Airland Battle. There’s just no describing the general suckage and amount of tanks lost by infantry hiding in the woods.

Still love every last bolt of that game.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Same here. In fact, I could have written your post word for word. Also, substitute Wargame: Red Dragon.

• Rich says:

I don’t lose too many tanks, but you sure as hell don’t want to be an infantryman under my command. I can grind through hundreds of men trying to take the smallest village.

• BobbyDylan says:

Villages with enemies in are not there for taking. They’re there for burning.

• kshriner says:

Yep. This. Thank god they have the speed slider for the single player campaign. Wish they had a speed option for multiplayer. Maybe both old people could both agree up front to play on slow when selecting or hosting a game. (Heck, if they had that option the ‘leets could set maps to play on fast or very fast for extra challenge.) Anyway, love Wargame series.. had such high hopes for act of aggression and no speed slider meant no playing.. :(

4. garythehobo says:

Bloodbowl, I adore that game, like I adore most turn based strategy games. But I am absolutely awful at bloodbowl. I don’t know why, no matter how many informative videos I watch and guides I read I still suck completely and totally. Right now I still have yet to beat the AI without major handicaps.

• Shar_ds says:

Gary, you should come and play in the RPS Community Blood Bowl league. We’re all destroyed by Nuffle’s Whims, why not come and suffer in company?

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• cpt_freakout says:

Join us… we have Big Moot Sandwiches, and everyone’s very friendly. You learn to laugh together at each other’s misfortunes, so it’s great.

• Beanchilla says:

Blood Bowl is my choice as well but I do think I’m improving. Been playing ranked and in league at fumbbl.com and it’s been a blast. Is there an RPS league there by chance?

5. sunarinelentari says:

EU4, I’m awful at it and yet I’ve racked up over 400 hours playing it.

• Rizlar says:

Yep. Every time I declare war on someone that is still granting me military access or something and get -5 stability it reminds me how truly rubbish I am.

Also Skullgirls, beat campaign mode on all the characters pretty much just button mashing. It’s a delight to play but as soon as another human or higher difficulty setting is involved I get thrown around like an extra in a Bruce Lee film.

• RedViv says:

Fighting games in general for me. Love them. Multiplayer? Praying to the Matchmaking Gods a loooot.

6. Cinek says:

I was like that in my first months of War Thunder – I absolutely sucked in this game, but progressed anyway… then they released ground forces, which I enjoyed even more… and did not suck out there… in fact by the time I got my first tier 5 tank I got in top-10% of WTGF players by win rate. Persistence pays off ;)

7. 0positivo says:

For me, it’s Space Station 13

I’m absolutely awful with the controls, and I never manage to understand what’s going on at a station level, if I should be panicking, avoiding certain areas, what kind of threats are abound… but I thoroughly enjoy playing it and even just spectating it. Sometimes I just spawn in as a drone or an animal to have a little laid back enjoyement of the chaos that ensues

• garythehobo says:

I’m the same way, I don’t understand any of the mechanics, the controls or even the basic premise. But everytime I’ve played I had a huge amount of fun. I think I did rather well too for being wholly inexperienced. Then again, I was a clown so success is based on how many rude messages regarding the captain you can scrawl on the floor and how many puns you can broadcast over the radio before the crew beat you to death with your own shoes.

I ended up losing the nuclear authentication disc in the cold depths of space. I almost managed to incite a revolution when they forgot to confiscate my radio, but my brain was placed inside a janitorial robot as punishment. You’d think being bludgeoned by the captain is punishment enough, but apparently not.

8. p3r02d3r0 says:

Richard Burns Rally. After about three seconds I end up like on that picture in the article. But I loved the game anyway.

• Tritagonist says:

Great choice. It’s been years since I last played RBR, but when talking about a combination of ‘bad at’ and enjoying the game despite it, this game no doubt ends up near the top spot.

Compared to something like Crusader Kings, in RBR I always know where and how I messed up. In CK I often had no idea what I was doing, how it mattered, and what was going on. That’s not a great way to enjoy failure.

9. Lotofsnow says:

World of Warships. For the amount of time I’ve put into it, I’m laughably bad sometimes. I keep going back though.

10. The Mad Welshman says:

Anything by Screwfly, and Tales of Maj’Eyal. The former because the atmosphere’s usually p. good, and the latter because, hey, I’m a roguelike fan.

• Replikant says:

Yeah, ToME. Now, I’ve a few university mathematics courses under my belt, yet I’ve had just one look at the way damage is calculated and decided I can’t be bothered to remember that. Same goes for the rest of the mechanics. Thus, I suck at item armor/weapon selection and choosing character builds. I’ve still put a lot of time into the game (I’ve even made it to the final battle, but failed).

• binkbenc says:

I never really pay *that* much attention to min-maxing in ToME. The things that really changed the game for me were a) doing zones in the correct order (made a lot easier by the latest build telling you what level you should be to enter a zone when you mouse-over it), and b) setting up talents for automatic use. When I first started, I’d forget about half my talents, and resort to just bashing into people…which didn’t get me very far. By setting up auto-use (hit ‘m’, then right-click on talents to configure them) you can set talents to trigger under certain situations (limited, but still useful) – auto-use ranged talents as soon as an enemy’s visible, a melee talent when they’re adjacent to you, and get those sustains up when there’s no-one around to bother you. It’s made things a LOT easier for me.

11. peanut- says:

Civilization. V most recently, but really any of them. I like to build cities and research things at random and will occasionally fight some terrible wars, but mostly I prefer to be left alone.

The idea of having a strategy abd following any sort of coherent gameplan to a chosen victory condition is completely beyond me

Qazinsky says:

I am somewhat similiar when it comes to the Civ games. I used to start a new game in Civ 1 or Colonization, explore, start up some towns at places with resources, conquer some smaller cities and then promptly get stomped and give up when someone bigger showed up. Which is fine, I didn’t want to be a founding father of America anyway! :(

• Amstrad says:

Yup. Civ for sure. I’ve got hundreds of hours played but I never play higher than Warlord difficulty.

• Orontes says:

Yeah it can be difficult at times. If you’re playing Civ V, the best civs are Poland, Korea and Babylon, as well as Maya and Arabia. Also, if you are on Prince or higher difficulties prioritise good wonders early on such as Hanging Gardens, Temple of Artemis, Colossus, Alhambra.

Oh and if you plan on Domination victories, the AI cannot stand up to 6-8 crossbows and a few knights. They can take out a lot of cities.

• PancakeWizard says:

I tend to get overwhelmed/disinterested once things get out of the ‘classic’ era. Why can’t it just be a never ending sword and sandal epic? :(

12. Joshua says:

I have 130-ish hours in FTL, and have only beaten it once. And I only managed that by using the mod that stops fleet advancement so you can hit every point on the map, and really build up resources.

• egattocs says:

I too suck at FTL. I just seem to constantly make the wrong decisions! Still love playing it though.

phuzz says:

Is that on Easy or Normal?
      I always play on Easy, I’ve tried Normal about twice, and found it so hard it wasn’t any fun. I want to be stupidly OP by the final round (I rarely am, but it’s fun on the odd occasion).

Andy_Panthro says:

Ha, yes. I enjoyed FTL but only beat it once by cheating a lot. The boss is just unfair really, and kinda spoils the otherwise exciting journey through hostile space.

• PancakeWizard says:

I have to agree. As much as I’m aware I suck at the game, the sheer power of the end boss is just crushing and doesn’t feel fair.

• laser-gods says:

Are you using transporters? I find teleporting a rock or mantis into their weapon bays does the job well enough, since they’re sealed off to any potential repairers. That and having some drone defences for phase 2.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Just ctrl-f’ed to find the first person to mention FTL. Haven’t got as many hours as you (a mere 30 here), but I’ve only reached the final boss once and never completed it. I still only have the first 2 starting ships. I have basically unlocked nothing. Yet I still love it. It seems too fitting to fail in your quest, I think if I ever finished it I’d be a bit disappointed.

13. Mallow says:

Binding of Isaac, both original recipe and Rebirth. According to Steam I’ve clocked 70 hours into each game and wow am I bad at them. I’ve never beat the original, and I’ve only beat Rebirth a couple of times. I die 25-50 times in between successful runs in Rebirth.

None of this deters me.

• minijedimaster says:

I’m right there with you on those games. Had to cheat on the first one to beat it.

• Y2Kafka says:

I shouldn’t tell you this but if you’re about to die you can pause the game and press alt+f4 to close the game. Afterwords you can load up the game again and you’ll be back at the beginning of the floor. (If you go to menu while dying the game counts it as actually dying, but closing the game does not.)

• Chicanery says:

They patched the Alt + F4 exploit out recently, actually.

14. Der Zeitgeist says:

Currently, it’s Star Wars Battlefront. I really don’t stand a chance against all those 14-year olds with their hyper reflexes. The fun comes mostly from the hilarious ways I get killed. :-)

• UnholySmoke says:

Yep, logged in to say this. It’s been a while since I’ve jumped into an online shooter right at the start, and for a week or so I was getting respectable scores in most rounds. Suddenly these last few days, I’m getting my arse handed to me by level 60 black troopers with homing missiles. Mind you, I do still walk around a corner and respond to seeing an enemy by melee attacking thin air, missing them a few times, then chucking a grenade at my feet.

• Girfuy says:

I thought it was just me. I was doing well on Fri / Sat, managing a 1:1 K:D ratio in most games. Earlier today 1 was repeatedly getting scores like 4:9 and 3:10.

Ah well, i’m still learning the game and enjoying it. The lack of features is actually a big plus for me as I can learn the few maps and game modes there are before more are introduced.

15. Schledorn says:

Crusader Kings 2. I read about all of these 400 year long dynasties and my characters always die before they have babies. I’m terrible.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

It took me about a hundred hours in to get the basics down. I’m nearing 500, and getting to the point where I can look at my progress and go ‘Yeah, I’m not awful’

• Shiloh says:

Likewise. Oddly, I actually started out OK – the first few games I played, I was certainly on an upward curve. But that didn’t last long, and now when I fire it up I fail within a decade or so.

• Hidoshi says:

Crusader Kings indeed… I watched tutorials, got a friend to show me some things and still all I can do is go bankrupt and declare war by making false claims. But I have NO IDEA what I’m doing.

I just love the Game of Thrones kind of setting though and the stories that come from this game.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

Better yet is that there is an actual GoT mod, and an Elder Scrolls, and a Warhammer Fantasy… there’s also post-apocalyptic and sci-fi.

Basically, the modding community is awesome.

16. Simon_Scott says:

Probably Euro Truck Simulator 2. I can’t drive in real life, so have only a scant idea of what I’m doing; never seemed to matter in the GTA games, but it’s far more important in ETS2.

I don’t know what I’d do if the police pulled me over and asked to see my license.

17. Generator22 says:

Strategy games, definitely. I really suck, but I love them for their lore and their soundtracks. Warcraft 2 & 3 and Starcraft come to mind. I play the first missions without problems, but as soon as the difficulty gets higher, I cheat my way through the campaign and just enjoy the f*ck out of the story. It’s a really weird thing. I can’t help feeling guilty about it, but I still enjoy it immensely, so much so that I consider those three games among my all-time favorites.

• Jericho says:

Same here. I love the story of the Warcraft series and Starcraft, but I absolutely suck at real-time strategy so I’d have to cheat my way through the campaigns once the missions got more difficult. I barely even played multiplayer unless my friends badgered me to play coop with them. The same went for the C&C/Red Alert games and Dawn of War. Loved the single-player campaigns but could barely finish them and never ever played multiplayer.

• geisler says:

What? On easy difficulty i really can’t imagine how you could not beat the campaigns of those games without cheating. I prefer TBS games myself, so i kind of suck at (“fast” modern micro) RTS games as well. Even on normal though, those games are fairly easy to me.

• Vaalac says:

Same here ! Well, I mean, I’m able to do the campaign on easy/normal modes (Usually, normal mode until the last missions where I must swallow back my pride and put the game in easy settings), but I’m getting recked in multiplayer. Really, badly, recked.

I just can’t handle an army and a base at the same time, macro managing isn’t for me. I was better at Warcraft 3 than Starcraft 2, probably because there were less macro-managing in Warcraft games.

• Kelevra84 says:

Yeah, I’m the same. I’m currently scraping my way through Starcraft II’s campaign on the easiest setting. The thought of playing it online against an actual thinking person seems like utter madness to me.

• meeple says:

Same here. It’s fun to be bad.

18. fastcar83 says:

I’ve started playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and even though I’m 100 hours in it’s a disaster. But me and my mates have a blast anyway. Fucking awpers though.

• PancakeWizard says:

I gave up any attempt at playing it ‘properly’, and just stick to team deathmatch casual mode, random map, random weapon each spawn. It’s much more fun!

19. mnemos says:

I’m absolutely awful at Dungeon of the Endless. I have over fifty hours into it and I’ve only beaten it once, and even that was by the skin of my teeth. I think it has something to do with my obsessive need to explore every inch of a game and my fundamental misunderstanding of how to level effectively.

I’m also quite bad at Civ and most games like it, but I usually have a blast with them until I’m inevitably crushed in the mid to late game.

• TekDragon says:

Aww man, I had put this game out of my mind until this post. Yeah, I’m in the same boat. My playstyle is obviously the complete opposite of what you need to be good at this game, but unfortunately I didn’t care enough to read a guide.

• The Librarian With No Name says:

Same here. I don’t know how many dozens of hours I poured into Dungeons of the Endless before I finally won, and then I just felt so exhausted that I haven’t been back in nearly a year. I love the heck out of it, but I also have that destructive impulse to open that last, fatal door.

It makes playing against the Vaulters in Endless Legend great fun, though. Every time the AI does something suicidal, I remember who they’re descended from and smile.

• shadowmarth says:

Got to the second to last level on my… fourth try? Felt pretty good about that, but was impatient, so I just booted the difficulty down to easy. Was REALLY easy. Beat no problem, haven’t had much impulse to go back, ’cause while there’s a decent variety of characters and strategies, it seems like the Dungeon itself has VERY little variation, and in fact the floors have very little variation… It got boring pretty quick. Hard to beat DCSS for sheer variety.

20. Xan says:

Probably the original X-Com? I’m absolutely rubbish at it, but it’s really awe-inspiring and I can spend quite a bit of time convincing someone it was a masterpiece.

Andy_Panthro says:

My key to completing X-COM is to remember to take as many soldiers as your skyranger can hold, and move very slowly through each map. Oh, and play on the easiest difficulty. If you still have problems, you can hex edit the savegames and give yourself tons of money, elerium, alien alloys and so on!

• Schnallinsky says:

old and the new xcom. i’m a terrible tactician, way too impatient and i can’t stand the thought of one of my soldiers dying, so i just reload until everybody makes it out alive. i just like having overpowered super soldiers who can headshot an alien from a mile away so much. well, actually that’s true for all games, but none are as entertaining as xcom.

• shadowmarth says:

Most important thing is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Most of your focus early on should be creating an absurdly powerful R&D force and doing whatever necessary to maintain it economically. My early failures were inevitable failures because the influx of new aliens would outstrip my advances. If Mutons show up and you’re still on laser weapons, you’re gonna get murdered.

21. Bpy6 says:

Fighting games, generally. I love the genre, and play them extensively, but, for some reason I’m completely unable to raise my skill to even below average levels.

• Jekhar says:

Definetly this. I can try to memorise combos and strategise all i want, whenever i’m in the heat of battle i resort to panicked button mashing sooner or later.

• dfuse says:

picked up SFIV a while ago, and somehow got seriously into it. I read the subreddit every day, watch videos etc. So far I have won one round online… waiting on SFV now because finding a match on SFIV almost never works. I’m also looking forward to KI on the pc, supposedly its training mode teaches a lot about fighting games.

22. Chris Cunningham says:

I’ve been playing Heroes of the Storm against AI opponents every day, on easy, perfectly happy. But I’d sooner cut my arms off than play against human opponents, which is of course the entire point of a MOBA.

Likewise with pretty much any RTS (except, curiously, Red Alert 2). I’m a pathological turtle and can’t adapt at all to human opponents who won’t just sit back and let me build a humongous army of top-tier units to roll across the entire map.

• plebman182 says:

I’m the exact same with strategy games, I spend far too much time turtling. I never leave my base until it can basically fend off anything as I’m worried the moment I take my army out of it, some hidden force will just appear and destroy it.

• PancakeWizard says:

Dawn of War was a turtler’s dream. As was Total Annihilation. I get my arse kicked in more modern RTSs that try to push you away from the tactic.

23. Bull0 says:

Kerbal Space Program. All of my greatest accomplishments I almost completely owe to online tutorials. If left up to my own ability it becomes Kerbal Orbiting Coffin Program pretty quickly. Enormous fun both ways though.

• BobbyDylan says:

This. Surprised it wasn’t first on the list, actually.

teije says:

Man, I am so bad at KSP. Which I find quite humiliating given that I’m a software developer, so should understand numbers and basic physics and stuff.

But I don’t and fiery death is frequent and inevitable for my kerbals.

• El Mariachi says:

It’s supposed to be that way though. Being a criminally incompetent engineer in KSP is like being a clumsy physician in Surgeon Simulator.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, same here. I know it’s possible to get good at this game with enough time and research. There are some great YouTube videos that help. But I play too many other games, and spend time in at least one other hardcore sim (X-Plane), so I’ll never be anything but a dabbler in KSP.

Which is great, because the game encourages experimentation and screw-ups are usually hilarious. It rewards both hard effort and just messing around.

24. tkjgmz says:

The Total War series. I’ve played Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Napoleon and Rome II, but the only campaign I’ve ever finished successfully is the easiest one in Napoleon.

Oh, an city builders in general. Just recently I got into Cities: Skylines, but predictably just for an evening or two until I lost interest. I usually relish the thought of playing these games intensely, but that’s about it.

25. Firkragg says:

Mordheim: City of the Damned.
    I occasionally shoot myself in the foot (overextend, prioritize skill/gear wrong, basic tactical mistakes and sometimes just pure bad luck) but since it got released from early access its my go-to game, even though I struggle at it most of the time. But when you execute a textbook Skaven ambush, you get all gooey inside. Man-things die-die!

26. Lord Byte says:

Gotta be fighting games, I CANNOT do combos. Give me complex military simulators and I can do a cold-start of an A-10 or a KA-50 blindfolded.
    I am intuitively good at shooters, so any time a new one comes out I can usually outmatch any of my friends…. for a while. Same for RTS’es…

Give me a fighting game and while I manage special moves and even fatalities with easy, any combination of buttons for a combo messes me up. I can rote-learn them but it takes me ages, and I tend to flub them up when pressured.

I think it’s something to do with how I want to keep pace with the action on the screen so I start pushing to fast and too many buttons which messes it up, if you understand what i mean…

But i generally rarely keep obsessively playing games as I used to do when I was younger, only turn-based games sometimes get my claws into me for longer periods of times (Civ 5), which might be why I rarely excel these days.

• LuizPSC says:

I think, the only fighting game i managed to be a litle good at, was Skullgirls, i learned a lot of lingo from that tutorial, and managed to beat people online!

• Jekhar says:

I have the same problem. I can do combos just fine in training mode, but when the fight is on, i’m helpless. It can’t be down to reflexes, because i do just fine in bullet hell shmups, for example. It’s apparently just not my genre. At least my opponents are understanding, friendly ribbings aside. It helps though that i’m usually taking the beatdowns in stride, and not implying the competition has got no life for beeing better than me. ;-)

• Phantasma says:

Oh yes, i can so relate to that.

Planning turns in advance, juggling hundreds of units, resources and cities whilst plotting devious schemes in the diplomacy window? No problem.

Getting Dhalsim from Street Fighter to do his teleport combo? Eluded me for more than 20 years now.

27. LuizPSC says:

that Batlefield 2 mod, Project reality, in the sense of shoting people, i am even worse that the usual new people who comes to play, and it´s been 2 years when i play at least 4 times at month, or one each week, so i stay on medic, or play a more recon oriented role, or logistics with my truck, while singing usual musics about truckers in Brazil, or when a squad is reoganzing, i pick the enemy kits, and put in a place near, so we khow if we need ammo, or a last resource medic kit, or a enemy law, if the supply drop don´t come between the next enemy assault.

But a thing i am really good at is dying…as a civilian.

in resume, dying without weapons in the insurgency mode, is good, and i am really good, i make mind games, faking i not a civilian, like running from fire, but failing, so i can make peopel think i am a fake civilian, draw soldiers to ambushes, recon places and tell to my squad leader, motivate the “bonde of civis” where a lot of civis go harrass poor soldiers, while only one is a medic with a scorpion.

Is really fun.

And i think, this is one of the best pictures i took in that game

link to imgur.com

Beatiful

28. gramps says:

Dota 2. ~1500 hrs and still a trashcan.

• Cinek says:

I got kind-of-the-same – win rate ~46%, often scrubbing bottom of the scoreboard, yet: it’s still my most-played game on Steam. Though IMHO the fact that I play it few times, then go offline for several months, and go back again, certainly doesn’t help… it feels like I’m learning this game anew every time, yet matchmaker thinks I got all the experience with the amount of matches played. >_>

29. Laurentius says:

Spacechem -I adore this game with every fibre of my being and what I am like at fifth planet and my brain is completley melting.

• SuperDion says:

I am at the fourth world and keep on making these ridiculus difficult tracks. I feel so clever after I finish a level, but it seems like i am always the outlier in the scoreboard. Sometimes doing double the loops and using double the objects, than the mean (or is it the other term). Stil love spending an evening to try and play a level

• shadowmarth says:

I would always try to maximize efficiency early on, but after multiple reactors come into it, holy crap just do whatever finishes it. I’ve gotten through levels with setups that would EVENTUALLY have blown up, but just made the 100 cycles.

30. melnificent says:

I love strategy games, any type of turn based ones really. And yet I’m terrible at them… all of them. Tactics based ones are my favourite, but I know I’ll never see the end of them as my tactics are apparently terrible.

31. Rich says:

4X games. I keep trying new ones but I just suck so badly at them.

Harlander says:

Same here. I love the concepts and noodling around in the games but I’m no good at them at all.

• PancakeWizard says:

God yes! Specifically, Space 4x. I’m impatient, loath to get into a fight and just want to watch my pretty space empire grow unmolested. Naturally I fail.

32. Jericho says:

I had to really dig around in the ol’ noggin as the only semi-recent examples of such games for me would be FTL. I’ve dumped close to 100 hours into FTL (no mods, just the default game) but I’ve never even gotten close to beating the final encounter. Heck, I’ve only ever GOTTEN to the final encounter once and was immediately destroyed in seconds. Despite that, it’s more a game about the journey than the destination, and I very much enjoyed how the random aspects of the game would create very different “stories” each time you started up a new run with a new ship and crew.

Other than FTL I would have to travel back in time to the era of Starcraft/C&C: Red Alert and other real-time strategy games. As much as I loved the story and world-building of these games I was absolutely horrible at the “real-time” part of the RTS. Mostly I just wanted to build bases and impressive looking defensive lines, so I was absolutely horrible at the multiplayer aspect of these games and mostly stuck to the single-player campaigns. Even then I could barely beat them.

Going back further, there were a LOT of Sega Genesis-era games that fit this exactly. So many games where I would struggle for days and weeks to barely get past the first couple of levels. Lester the Unlikely, Boogerman, Cool Spot, Aladdin, Bubsy, etc. Of course, I was also a young kid at the time so my controller coordination wasn’t quite up to par yet. I also liked playing Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Combat with friends or at the arcade even though I was horrible at fighting games and could never remember how to perform any moves other than basic kicks and punches. So when I’d randomly hit the button combo for a special move I would get really excited, even though I’d never remember how to pull it off again. Good times!

• TekDragon says:

FTL is a good pick.

I dunno if you’re interested in going back to it, but the secret to the last battle is cloaking, teleporting, and keeping 1 enemy alive. Use the cloak whenever the ship launches missiles (or engages a drone or laser special), and teleport over your best troops to knock out the missile system first. From there knock out the the far left and far right guns, leaving the middle guy alive.

With all but one gun down on the first wave, you can now take your time killing off the crew in the main sections in your favorite way (mine is fire). Only when they’re all dead (minus the one guy on the turret), blow it.

From then on the boss fight is easy mode. Teleport in to hit the missiles, cloak on alpha attacks, and then dismantle the ship piece by piece.

• PhilBowles says:

FTL should be disallowed as an option, since you’re meant to lose.

For me it’s most RTSes, though while the question was mainly about single-player games I’m mostly terrible at single-player (though I struggle with the Legacy of the Void campaign on Hard and have yet to finish Company of Heroes 2’s Ardennes Assault).

I’m impressively bad at Company of Heroes 2, with win rates of 35% with both of my most-played recent factions, and despite playing ladder extensively in Starcraft 2 before its Heart of the Swarm expansion I never got above high silver league. As for Starcraft 1, I was never able to complete mission 10 of the first campaign even with the Starcraft mission guide that came with the boxed set.

• PhilBowles says:

I meant mostly terrible at multiplayer.

• ritsl says:

FTL is a hard and punishing game, but the first step to getting better at it is to realize what mistakes you made. That’s right, when your ship goes down in flames it’s not because the game is unfair but it’s because of human error.

There is a streamer who goes by the name DarkTwinge. Google his FTL Tips & Tricks series. He estimates that even on the FTL’s ubiquitous “hard” mode that over %99.9 of games are winable if played correctly.

This is a game where you are not going to be able to afford all of the cool toys in the shop. This is a game where you may have to run from the bullies and the giant alien spiders (they are no joke). This is a game where there is no shame in playing on easy until you know the rules.

Once you know how to play though, defeating the flagship on hard mode and seeing it break apart is better than any scripted cinematic ending any day.

33. WombatDeath says:

I tend not to play games that I’m crap at (e.g. Far Cry 4, which I got as a free gift, was abandoned after I failed several attempts to survive the very first combat encounter).

Hearthstone is an exception. I’m not very good and I also haven’t bought any cards, so I tend to get stomped, but the brawls in particular are good fun and let me play with cards I will never otherwise have. And my wife is even worse (she doesn’t do even the small amount of research that I’m willing to do) so I enjoy playing to lose in a subtle manner. Either I’ve been quite successful in that, or she is cunningly allowing me to believe that I’m successful. At this point it all gets a bit recursive.

34. Foosnark says:

It used to be Team Fortress 2, until I gave up. I had something like 1000 hours logged and I was never any good at it.

I have a feeling Overwatch is going to be that way. I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did during the stress test weekend, but enjoying it is not the same as being consistently competent.

35. BebopBraunbaer says:

Just Cause 3 , i am so terribly bad at this game, it is more fun to watch me fail at it than it is to play

• brucethemoose says:

Helpful hint: honk your horn, and rebels will jump in and drive/gun your vehicle, or just shoot out of the windows. Just ferry them around to bases you need to capture.

36. Czrly says:

The Banner Saga with the battle difficulty turned up to eleven is one of the best gaming experiences that I can remember experiencing. My campaign didn’t make it, in the end, but the way the story changed and the way fate buggered about with the poor, fleeing village was just epic.

(Yes, Epic in the true sense, that of a story, not in the sense of a viral tweet or Go-Pro video or WoW gear.)

37. Warcher says:

Payday 2 Stealth missions. I’m not absolute trash at stealthing – I love it! but I get afraid I’ll fuck something up, so when playing online I mostly stay out of the way and just do recon.

Also, back when Planetside 2 supported 32-bit systems I lagged my way into these cool massive battles.. in which I really didn’t partake in since I had like 10-15 fps.

• oceanboy86 says:

For Payday 2, that’s not exactly the worst type of player to be.
      Lots of the super hardcore guys just ask the lower levels to wait in spawn or flat out kick them. Mistakes happen in that game and stealth, as I see it, is planning and moving based on everything you know about the game, and then dealing with the time the game does something that you have never seen done.
      Or prepare for the what always happens til it doesn’t.
      Not to mention, having to scramble for a loud victory after 20 minutes of stealthing can be exciting in itself.
      (Insert Overkill DLC joke here)

• Warcher says:

The skill to level ratio in my region is absolutely crap. High prestigies that have no idea how to play (cause they got heavily carried or hacked), blatant cheaters or new players are most of who you find.

38. thedosbox says:

Any of the Civilization games. I can win in a 1v1 regardless of map type, can sometimes survive in a 1v2 depending on the map, but am toast if faced with 3 or more hostile civs.

• thedosbox says:

Yet I bought Civ 3, 4 & 5 – including some of the expansions.

• Geebs says:

I keep wanting to get Civilisation whenever a new one comes out, and then reminding myself that I got so paralysed at the responsibility of micromanagement in Civ2 that I was literally fiddling while Rome burnt.

• Hidoshi says:

If you’d like, I could teach you. There are some tricks to CIV that once you get to know them, the game gets exponentially more fun and you can actually CHOOSE how to win.

I agree with Geebs on the micromanagement part. Once I have 5+ cities I usually quit the game, because I don’t want to do 10 worker orders (having them on automatic makes them demolish things that I don’t want) and 3 build options EVERY TURN.

• Chris Cunningham says:

You can turn off workers removing existing improvements (or chopping things down / draining swamps) in the UI options. It’ll still prioritise the weirdest shit and build roads in all the wrong places but it won’t undo what you’ve done yourself.

Civ 5 not having a proper town governor is still a massive pain. Would that Firaxis could be trusted to fix that one.

• thedosbox says:

Thanks, but one thing Civ V taught me is that I should avoid timesink games if I want to get anything done.

Endless Legend is sitting in my unplayed queue though. *sob*

Mungrul says:

Spelunky.
    The Vita version is just awesome, and makes the daily commute zip by, but I’ve only just got around to unlocking the shortcut to the ice caves.
    Bear in mind, I’ve been playing the game on and off since the original free version.
    I recently died on top of an altar to Kali and somehow managed to sacrifice myself, I’m that bad at it.

And I’ll second many a comment about fighting games, and more specifically, Street Fighter IV in all its splendid incarnations. I love the game; it is incredibly animated, and plays fantastically smoothly, but I just can’t get the timing down on the combos. I think it’s probably age now, as I used to be able to pull off all moves for all my favourite characters in fighters past, such as MK2 and Tekken 2, but I struggle to pull off even the most basic moves reliably in SF IV. I’ve spent hours struggling through combo tutorials, eventually passing most tests, but subsequently been unable to reproduce those moves with any reliability in an actual fight.

I suspect I’m not as good at Civ as I should be given all the hours I’ve put into it over the years, even though I deeply adore the series. I usually find myself creating matches that allow me to exploit an AI weakness, such as playing as Elizabeth the 1st on a massive oceanic world with many islands.
    I also tend to lose interest when the late game arrives and the speed gets bogged down and there are hundreds of units and cities and the research loses its character and…
    And I still love it.
    Never played it multiplayer though. I doubt anyone would have the patience to play against me, as Epic and Huge are the only ways I ever play the game.

Mungrul says:

Oh, and I always cheat resources in new XCOM as I absolutely suck at the base management side of the game.

• sillythings says:

Seconding Spelunky. I’ve logged 82 hours (only topped by The Witcher 3) and never managed to actually beat the game once. I did at least, years ago, beat the free version (I wish I knew how many hours I sunk into THAT), so there’s that, but the new one? I’m terrible at it and yet I consider it to be pretty much my favourite game ever.

Also, right now I’ve been playing Towerfall by myself a bunch, and in trying to beat the Hardcore Co-Op levels, I feel like I suck quite a lot, too. But man, is it fun.
      (Don’t even get me started about the diamond times for the trials, though. How even would those be humanly possible? I found like three that seemed reasonable and DID beat them, but the majority just have me shaking my head in utter bewilderment.)

40. Bisbo says:

41. Ivan says:

XCOM, probably. I love it, but am unabashedly (well, maybe a little abashedly) bad at it. I can faceroll normal/ironman no problem at this point, but classic is just too demoralizing and I don’t bother completing it.

For some reason, I installed Long War this weekend. I imagine that experiment won’t last very long.

42. sweerd says:

Nethack, ADOM and Dungeon Crawl. All games that I’ve been throwing myself at since I first found out about the roguelike genre. I don’t think I’ll be able to beat any of them before I die, but I’ll definitely keep trying.

Harlander says:

Don’t give up! From the time I first played Nethack to the time I ascended a character was about 13 years.

I haven’t managed it with any other roguelikes, though…

• Replikant says:

For some reason, I found the wizard class to suit me most in Nethack, probably because when I realize that the monster is not going to die from a sensible amount of magic missiles, it may still be far enough for me to run away.
      Also, the level teleporting with the Eye helps soo much with organizing item stacks. Oh, and abusing “Elbereth” with Magicbane, of course. And I wouldn’t have ascended without reading the hints and spoilers from the wiki, that’s for certain.

However, I currently also keep dying in Dungeon Crawl (which I recently discovered). Mostly from previously unknown monsters which I (wrongly) assume to fall for the same strategies as the monsters I met before.

• RutigerP says:

Dungeon Crawl is basically impossible unless you consult the wiki every single time you encounter a new creature. Especially uniques.

• geldonyetich says:

That’s sort of the whole point of Crawl: it’s for players who said, “Sure, beating Nethack was hard, but I just won’t feel satisfied until I play a version of Nethack that has absolutely no exploitable tactics.”

• LionsPhil says:

I thought it was also supposed to be Nethack but fairer. No deaths from slips of the interface stepping into deep water without confirmation, for example.

• RutigerP says:

Oh Dungeon Crawl – been playing it since ver 5 (around 6-7 years) and only just last week managed to finally ascend with the Orb for a simple 3 rune win.

Skabooga says:

I second ADOM. I don’t think I’ve ever legitimately managed to take a character through all of the Dwarven elder’s quests. The one time where I snapped a decided to just save-scum my way through, I forgot to take corruption effects into account, and permanently trapped myself in a situation where I couldn’t avoid death by over-corruption.

Every time I die, I curse and swear the game off forever. Yet, I always seem to find my way back after weeks or months.

• mgardner says:

Roguelikes for me, too. Hundreds of hours in several, and the only one I have won is DoomRL (let’s face it, some of the easier modes are pretty easy, and it helps that it can be won in a single gaming session). My favorite without winning is easily OAngband. I am just not patient enough to survive. I plow through thousands of enemies and get YASD when I fail to recognize a potential deadly situation quickly enough. One keystroke later, and BOOM graveyard.

43. darkhog says:

For me it’s not as much specific game, but whole genre. Genre being survival games. I am bad at it, sometimes I manage to build some base, but then I go mining and are killed by wild animal/other player.

44. TWChristine says:

PacMan. It’s legitimately my all-time favourite game, but I’m lucky if I make it to level 3. I think I MIGHT have gotten to level 5 once or twice before, but how, I have no idea.

45. gou says:

ai war, to this day i have only legit beat the ai once, and they were specific ai that attacked less. I have played it enough to know quite early on how badly the endgame will go, but I still see it through.

46. danielmueller80 says:

after reading some comments and thinking about my own experiences, i’d have to say it’s basically all games except maybe adventure games (post-sierra ones, at that) that i’m really awful at. it took me six to ten attempts to finally get past the first pirate ship-mission in AC4. in the last splinter cell (which i liked despite it being morally and politically dubious at best) I almost didn’t get past the sharp-shooter intro to one of the first levels. as to games not from ubi, i suck at fighting games and brawlers like the batman games. and i just can’t do shooters. in xcom, i tried the harder difficulties including ironman but ultimately had to convinve myself that choosing and beating classic difficulty without ironman-mode and with constant reloading is actually pretty good… and still i buy all those games and keep on believing that i’m a gamer…

47. melerski says:

IL-2 Sturmvoik (the original)

48. Mr. Anderson says:

Rocket League.
    It’s a lot of fun especially with friends but even after more than 40 hours I’m astonishingly bad at it and keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

• geisler says:

You shouldn’t feel bad about that to be honest, the amount of people that are good at Rocket League after 40 hours will be very short indeed. It’s a game with a huge skillceiling despite first appearances. I’ve got 200 hours under my belt, and would rate myself well below average (Silver III in ranked).

• ulix says:

I’ve played maybe 150 hours and can’t get beyond Bronze III. I miss the ball in 9/10 attempts when I try flying with my rocket-boost.

• MeatMan says:

Rocket League for me too. I rarely play it anymore, but when I bought it a few months ago, I loved it and played it a lot. I never really got good at it, and would get frustrated at my mistakes when playing with random people. It’s then that I started only playing with online friends, which is a lot more enjoyable.

• Wolfoz says:

I really enjoy rocket league, but also miss the ball most of the time.

• Marblecake says:

Yup. I’m also one of those guys: “I got it, I got it, I got i–…shit, I missed it. Wait, why am I upside down inside the opposing team’s goal? And was that–shit, they scored.”

And yet, I love this game to bits.

49. acoff001 says:

I hate that you’re stuck in Iron Man mode the whole game. And some of the unskippable cutscenes are pretty annoying.

50. geldonyetich says:

I mirror Mr. Walker’s experiences with Teleglitch and Nuclear Throne: they are indeed hard games that are definitely fun.

I suppose an honorable mention goes to DOTA-ish battle arena games, ones there I will always be assured by other players I am truly terrible at playing regardless of my actual game performance.