Hitman Beta Coming In February

Give me the beta code and no one gets hurt.

Timed ‘beta tests’ have mostly replaced demos amongst big-budget games, which is an awful shame for folks, like myself, who might like to try a game before buying it but can’t be arsed with signing up for beta raffles and competitions and making time to play at during a short period and all that noise. So while I’d normally veer away from posting about semi-closed betas, ah, stuff it, here: Hitman [official site] is getting a beta in February. It’ll contain a mission showing how Ian Hitman joined his murdercompany. Observe:

The beta will come to PC on February 19th (a week after consoles, boo!). As for what it’ll let you see, Square Enix explain:

“[. . .] the Hitman beta is set twenty years in the past at a top secret ICA recruitment and training facility. This makes it an extremely unique mission because it revolves around how Agent 47 was recruited into the ICA and shows the first time that 47 meets his long-time handler, Diana Burnwood. This will be a moment of huge interest to fans of the series and the perfect starting point for newcomers to the game.”

Going on about how pre-ordering guarantees beta access suggests there may be other ways to have a play. Hope you enjoy watching for signups and giveaways and all that. Or, I suppose if you’re feeling sassy, you could pre-order and play the beta then pull a Steam refund, though that requires having £40 spare and is another whole load of faff.

Squeenix haven’t said that Hitman won’t get a demo, mind, but… I’d be surprised if it does. Games these days! Tch. I understand that demos require time, resources, and energy that already-stretched teams may not have (lawd knows folks crunch hard!), and can be tricky gits especially on PC, and that the reality of a demo can pull folks out the dream that marketing tries to build, but… the end result sucks for us. Demos coming a while after launch would also be okay – I can wait. Maybe that Hitman level you already have sectioned-off for the beta, eh Squeenix?

Anyway! Hitman, the full game, is due on March 11th.

1. cpt_freakout says:

That Institute of Contemporary Art… always marking people for assassination.

2. unitled says:

Because what we need here is complete unabashed optimism, I’m going to say, as someone who has played every single Hitman game to completion (yes, even the first one), this game is *definitely*, finally going to be the Hitman game we all know the series can do. Definitely. This time.

Seriously, one of the previous comments from the Dev was they were taking 47s controls and movement from Absolution and tie it to the open world murder-sandboxes from something like Blood Money. And if that happens, I will be very happy indeed.

3. scornfulmoose says:

I really want this to be good, but with Absolution and all the shitty business practices of Squeenix, I have my doubts. Still, I’m going to try and maintain a cautiously optimistic attitude and hope for another Blood Money.

• jonahcutter says:

I’m trying hard to have faith the “it’s not episodic” episodic structure is intended for the good of the game and gamers, and not some +cost plan. If it’s just so SE can postpone putting the game on discount for longer than current trends, that’s still a bit dodgy, but ultimately fine. If they use the extended rollout of the entire game to introduce extra costs or short-change on content, it ain’t.

4. Dev says:

Is Jesper Kyd doing the music for this one?

He was one very key part of making Blood Money memorable.

• caff says:

He was (is) good, but ultimately it’s all about the Diana. THE DIANA.

Being a prequel, I’m kind of hopeful they’ll resurrect her.

5. Jeeva says:

Am I the only one thinking “WTF, beta-exclusive levels? That’s a new one on me.”

(This is probably not what it is, just the way “the beta is set twenty years in the past at a top secret ICA recruitment and training facility. This makes it an extremely unique mission…”)

Hopefully it’s just the training mission from the full game, snipped off for testing the rest of the engine etc.

6. caff says:

A few months back, the publisher was talking about episodic releases. Is this “beta” the new way they’re releasing early?

Either way, it’s bullshit. Please just let the io devs craft something poetically beautiful and complete, which I’m sure they’re capable of.

7. April March says:

“His stats are off the chart. Such skills and reflexes… they can only be the result of… min-maxing.”