LEGO Marvel’s Avengers Trailer Roams Manhattan

We missed out on that mega-super-turbo-movie-comic-game crossover bonanza LEGO Dimensions round these PC parts, probably because it’s one of those buy-toys-to-put-them-in-the-game doodads made for consoles. Oh well! Our next outing to a plastic world will come with LEGO Marvel’s Avengers [official site] in January, following a delay. It’s far more than just the movie Avengers, mind. A new trailer shows superhero antics in its ‘free roam’ zones, and you’ll also catch a wee glimpse of Jessica Jones fighting crime in her Jewel costume, which… look, yeah, maybe I’ve hoped to play as Jess in her old leather jacket, swigging cheap bourbon (and in the game).

Not bad that, eh? Playing as Marvelmen may not be as novel now we’ve had a few games set in the world, but sure, it looks pretty fun. I’d be happy to lark about as Jessica or Squirrel Girl round there. Anyway, it’ll have eight locations you can roam about as you please, but Manhattan is the main focus – isn’t it always with Marvel? Publishers Warner Bros. say:

“LEGO Marvel Manhattan is bigger and better than ever before with brand new characters and gameplay mechanics to utilise while adventuring through the sprawling concrete jungle. Hyper jump off skyscrapers with Hulk, use Quicksilver to speed run over water or even play as giant characters like the menacing Fing Fang Foom who can grow to the size of buildings.”

There’s no mention of whether Fing Fang Foom will be able to put people in his pants.

January 29th is the date, true believers.

1. oWn4g3 says:

I wonder when/if they will finally feature online co-op in their LEGO games on PC. Loving the style and gameplay but at the same time it feels like there is no technical progress apart from some graphic enhancements. To be fair the gameplay doesnt’t change much as well apart from the setting :D

• w0bbl3r says:

Was just going to comment on this myself.
      How great would those lego star wars games have been if you could play online co-op in them? Or lego batman 3, which was the best of the lego bats games?
      Playing through the original trilogy with an online friend is something I really wanted to do, I just can’t understand why TT can’t come into the 21st century and utilise online co-op like everyone else.

2. Keios says:

I’m always happy to see Nextwave: Agents of HATE get a mention. As the great Warren Ellis put it-

“I took The Authority and I stripped out all the plots, logic, character and sanity. It’s an absolute distillation of the superhero genre. No plot lines, characters, emotions, nothing whatsoever. It’s people posing in the street for no good reason. It is people getting kicked, and then exploding. It is a pure comic book, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. And afterwards, they will explode.”

And it had a bitching theme tune.

• Urthman says:

Also, know that science is a trick on white people and that the shamans of the mountains, the jungle, the desert and the steppe have hated Stephen Hawking for five thousand years.

link to i.imgur.com

• Keios says:

It’s like Suddenly you turn forty and your face went south and suddenly it was no, Dirk, I won’t do those things with the chickens and the wings and the bath full of acid for you any more! And by the way Dirk, give me all your cash let me paint everything pink, adopt a million screaming little snot factory children, for me and don’t you dare touch me or my womb will fall out.

• NailBombed says:

Aaron Stack AKA Machine Man AKA Alternate Bender from Futurama is brilliant.

link to vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net

link to page45.com

• horrorgasm says:

I seem to remember him also describing it as “something I’m going to write so badly that Marvel will finally fire me”

phuzz says:

Squirrel Girl: Eats Nuts. Kicks Butts.
    (Marvel are so much better when they stop being grimdark)

4. Urthman says:

If this is at all like every other LEGO superhero game, you’ll be able to unlock Jessica Jones’s leather jacket costume (complete with drink-swigging idle animation), her Jewel outfit, her Knightress costume, and maybe even pregnant-with-Luke-Cage’s-baby Jessica Jones.

5. Reapy says:

I was beginning to worry the lego games were going to stop full tilt thanks to dimensions. The original lego marvel was great because it was packed full of like 150 different characters, and with dimensions I figured they had decided that instead of giving away everybody you would have to pay for it character by character.