EVE Valkyrie Will Be Bundled With Oculus Rift Pre-Orders

Pip played EVE Valkyrie [official site] earlier this week, getting to grips with the virtual reality space shooter in its near-to-final form. You can read what she thought right now. But alongside the impressions is news that a copy of Valkyrie is being included with every pre-order of the Oculus Rift.

“EVE: Valkyrie is one of the most anticipated virtual reality games,” said Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus, for the purposes of adding weight to this announcement. “It perfectly captures the promise of immersive gaming, shooting you into a sci-fi adventure as you pilot a spaceship in search of combat. Battling your friends (and enemies) in multiplayer space dogfights is the ultimate VR thrill, and we’re excited to partner with CCP to bring this experience to Rift owners everywhere.”

For a less partial opinion of the game, here’s part of what Pip says in her impressions piece:

Prevarication is something I want to be careful about because I don’t want it to be read as a lack of enthusiasm for the game. Valkyrie looks fantastic but I wasn’t excited when I played that day. I’ve been thinking about why that might be. The feeling I was having was one I know from other team-based games. Getting killed over and over is simply not much fun. Our side of the fight was the losing side and I could feel that frustration I associate with MOBAs where your team is getting trampled or has fallen behind or where you yourself feel like you’re playing terribly. Getting a kill or a killstreak feels amazing in games like this. Being on the receiving end of someone else’s killstreak, not so much.

I’ve played around with the Oculus Rift a lot, and a little with the Vive, and I’m fairly convinced of the potential for virtual reality to bolster certain kinds of games. I’m yet to be convinced by many of the specific games in development for either platform, however. There are a lot of fancy, awe-inspiring demos which take five minutes to impress you and then end, but only two games have thus far felt to me like they’d survive larger experiences. EVE Valkyrie is one, so it makes sense to me that Oculus – who are also publishing the game – would want to include it in the box.

More VR-focused games will of course come with time, but for now it feels like there aren’t enough announced to make the difference between ‘I believe in VR tech’ and ‘I am buying a piece of VR tech.’

1. Kemuel says:

Oculus’ longer time in the hands of developers and eyes of the public is pushing me to be thatways-inclined, especially given how this tech’ll ultimately be defined by the games we use it for, but the Vive demo I played at Eurogamer was *so* much more impressive. It was genuinely mindblowing, like no amount of hyperbole can adquately capture.

I think I’m waiting for both sides to do more to try and win me over. Valkyrie coming free with pre-orders is impressive, and I’m sure they’ll have more incentives lined up for early-adopters too, but if Valve decide to levarage Portal, Left 4 Dead, or (dare to whisper it) Half-Life to their full potential, I’ll be a sucker for it.

2. h_ashman says:

As awesome as this looks, I’m a bit worried that Oculus will pressure CCP to not support other VR solutions and kick off another level of platform exclusivity bollocks.

I’ll probably be happy enough if the games have special additional options (e.g. support for Valve’s full room stuff) locked into their hardware partner in a way similar to how games already have graphics card specific features. That way I can still play the games, I just miss out on a few fringe features.

• SingularityParadigm says:

The consumer version Oculus Rift also supports room-scale experiences when used with two IR cameras. The Rift will come with one camera, but a second camera will be included with Oculus Touch, their 6DoF positionally tracked hand controllers.

• h_ashman says:

OK that might not have been the best example of something that amounts to “PhysX for VR”. But my point is that I won’t be happy if Valkyrie won’t work at all on anything but an Oculus because of marketing/exclusivity bollocks.

3. melnificent says:

Get comfy on the sofa with drink and food within grabbing distance. Load up a VR cinema with any film/TV bluray you want.
    Pick any seat in the cinema and relax… the BEST way to enjoy a film.

• Axess Denyd says:

Yup. I have been using the Netflix app on the Gear VR a *lot*.

I would like a way to stream any PC game to a Vive/Rift/Gear VR for a similar experience (like the Rift will have with Xboxen). You lose a lot of resolution, but depending on the game it could be worth it.

• Chaz says:

Or it could be a bit like the Ludovico technique from a Clockwork Orange. No matter where you turn your head, the screen will be right in your face, unable to look away.

• Alberto says:

Unless you live around those pesky humans who insist in “watching the movie with you” or even daring to text you for so-called “Reasons”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I can’t wait for the news story about the person obliviously getting robbed while strapped into a VR headset. We all know it is going to happen eventually.

4. v1tr1ol says:

Since I’m interested in buying a VR, I also play EVE Online so I’m really looking forward to this game. On the other hand, I hate pre-orders, and I want to see what both of these have to offer before buying. Performance of VR and how much V is connected to EVE. Lore, complexity and brutality vise. I don’t how many people will pre-order this since bunch of us can’t try it. Hope that V isn’t arcadey 5v5 dogfight only.

5. Arithon says:

I’m interested in Valkyrie, but my main interest in the Oculus CV1 is in playing Elite.
    I play a lot of Elite on my DK2 and I demonstrated the Vive (and had a few turns myself) at EGX this year and two things put me off the Vive. The headset was at least as heavy as the DK2 (we know the Oculus CV1 will be very lightweight) and the device required two “lighthouse” sensors to be wall-mounted. My wife would NEVER go for that. The Oculus CV1 has replaced the DK2’s IR cam with what looks like a mic stand. Unobtrusive and portable.
    I tried Horizons Beta with the DK2 last night and it ran buttery smooth on HIGH settings on my GTX970, the only thing letting it down was the screen resolution – which on the CV1 is the same as the Vive.
    I am watching both units with a keen interest, but with personal experience of both, unless the Vive loses a lot of weight and size on the headset and finds a realistic alternative to to giant PIR sensors with wires everywhere, it is only for people who have a spare “VR” room and so for me, the Oculus is the front-runner, with a proven track record and more developed hardware.