Many Millions Watched LoL’s World Championships

Folks together watched 360 million hours of the League of Legends [official site] 2015 World Championships across its five-week tour, say developers Riot Games. That’s a lot. Here’s the figure I like: “cumulative daily unique impressions” hit 334 million viewers, which I’ll disingenuously pretend is 334 million unique individuals rather than a flashy pointless statistic because it’d let me dick about with numbers myself.

Did you know that if you flayed every one of those 334 million, you could sew a skinquilt big enough to cover all of Bermuda – with room to spare for Gibraltar and Vatican City to come round for a sleepover? Also, that you are never more than 2.15 kilometres away from someone who watched it? Not anywhere. There’s a tethering system to space everyone out.

334 million would, of course, be over 4% of the world’s population but that figure means nothing to anyone. Let’s bring it into the universal measurement of elephants, in which case those viewers combined would weigh as much as 7 million Asian elephants. (For our friends down in The London, that’s 2.2 million Borisbuses.) They would also have as many eyes as 334 million elephants (Asian or African).

If they all ate a bar of Dairy Milk and didn’t burn off the calories, it’d turn into almost a billion kilograms of fat. I’d tell you how large a fatcube that would make, but you’d never sleep again.

If you drained the bodily fluids of those viewers and distilled them correctly, you could easily stay pissed for life on the naturally occurring alcohols alone.

Sadly, “cumulative daily unique impressions” is just a running total of how many viewers tuned in on each day of broadcast. However, I’ve not received official confirmation that Riot don’t plan to make a rotting skinquilt.

Riot do also say that the games had an average concurrent viewership of 4.2 million, and that peak viewership in the finals was 14 million. That’s probably a useful number to know. You could actually make Gibraltar a full set of skinsheets from those viewers.

All the numbers are dramatically up over last year, basically. I’d helpfully translate those numbers into something meaningful, but I’m now imagining being wrecked on all that humanhooch and I just know I’d be curious and drunkhungry enough to lick the fatcube and I need to pop outside for some fresh air.

If you want to know something actually useful about the LoL World Championships, Pip was there for a lot and wrote good things and didn’t say anything about fatcubes.

1. arhaine says:

I bet the lowest views were actually on the Finals.

• Xocrates says:

Except the article outright says that’s false?

And why would that be the case? While I’m willing to believe that the finals weren’t the most viewed game, it would be downright bizarre if the finals were the lowest.

• arhaine says:

Ok, I’m willing to rephrase it.
        I’d bet that the finals were the lowest in the west.

• montfalcon says:

Wait, why?

• sojuhasu says:

Likely he thought people couldn’t have been interested in watching an all korean grand finals.

I’d say many people are simply interested in watching the highest level of League of Legends.

Despite Europe’s reaching semifinals it was rather obvious they were second fiddle to the koreans. I for one would rather see the best players play instead of watching player who simply happen to share my language / culture / nationality.

• montfalcon says:

Do only people whose national teams are competing watch the World Cup/ FIFA championship? I’m not a sports fan, nor am I much into spectating as a LoL player, but it seems disingenuous to suggest that nobody wants to watch the finals of one of eSports biggest competitions just because the teams playing are from Asia.

• Apocalypse says:

The 2010 world cap finals about 900 million people watched. Netherlands and Spain have together not even 65 million citizens together.

I guess people really liked to watch the finals. And well, I actually missed the league finals and had to use the VOD. We were invited over to some friends that day, esports is nice and all, but work and social stuff still comes first, especially in the day of vod.

2. bateleur says:

This is genius. I am torn between being baffled as to why you wrote this and demanding more! :-)

3. Abndn says:

I would really like to see a breakdown of where these viewers were watching the games. Twitch is probably responsible for a little more than 1/10 of them, and I am sure there would have been more than that on douyutv, but where else? Youtube? Which TV stations?

• Abndn says:

Also “cumulative daily unique impressions” is such a Riot-y phrase. The number is impressive, but what does it even mean? What does it take to be “impressed” here?

4. rumtotinggamer says:

Still try to get my head round esports, watched a WorldofTanks final years back and it was so hilariously camp and ridiculous with its WWE like presentation with the thought in my mind I’m watching several young placid males being paid alot to do something I have to pay to do…yeah not a fan.

5. vahnn says:

This was disturbingly, morbidly sexy to read.

6. Turkey says:

That cup looks straight out of Unreal Tournament.

I’ve got nothing to add to the conversation.