Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Rolls Out

“Lightning never strikes twice”, say lucky folks who’ve never riled a crybaby wizard. I didn’t touch your bins, Ezwraine, and the reason I didn’t invite you round for the Halloween party is that you’re a pedantic whining killjoy, not because we fear your eldritch powers. Some wizards are friendlier, mind, just look at Square Enix. They’ve twisted with the fabric of reality to create dozens of final fantasies, and now they’ve made lightning strike thrice. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII [official site] arrived on PC this afternoon, up for £11.69 on Steam.

It may not be the final Final Fantasy (“Alice, do you never tire of this joke?” ask people who don’t understand me at all), but Lightning Returns is the final Final Fantasy XIII. It sees the hero awakened from a centuries-long slumber with only thirteen days to save the world, playing out in accelerated real time. I do like a little tension. It also brings combat a mite more active than Lightning’s previous outing.

The PC release comes with most of the DLC from the console versions included, except the Aerith costume – which Squeenix say they don’t plan to bring over. She’s dead, okay. Get over it. Drifting around your flat in her dress won’t bring her back and won’t make you feel any better. Wait. Now a FFVII remake is coming, are these becoming spoilers all over again? Ah, stuff it. Here’s another spoiler for you: Harry Potter is actually a wizard.

Final Fantasy VI is coming to PC next week too, you know, though all uglied-up. But here’s Lightning:

1. Clavus says:

Played the first two games on the PS3, and waited for this one to release on PC, glad to see it’s finally here (after the original release date being last spring). Heard it’s best to play with a spoilerless walkthrough because of stuff you’re bound to miss out on because of some sort of time limit.

2. tomimt says:

I didn’t care much of the original FF XIII. It felt like one huge corridor run and the combat was pretty uninteresting. Is this more of the same?

• Stedios says:

Corridor run sums it up, playing ffx13 the first part now, Got to boss Odin and realised there is a leveling system doh!, I like the characters and the battle system is kinda addictive!

• BlackMageSK says:

No this one is fairly different in both combat and the linearity. You have a global timer to accomplish whatever it is you want to accomplish and you can approach them in whatever order you like or just outright ignore them.
      The combat plays a little like an action game hybrid, there are active blocks/parries/evades which you have to use but you can’t really move around.

boundless08 says:

I don’t the fa t it’s a corridor run more the fact you can’t really change how any character plays before you get to gran pulse. The massive experience needed to go to the next tier of skills and abilities just annoyed me. Half way through a section I couldn’t level up any more and it just became boring.

I’ve played the second one for an hour or two on my brothers Xbox and it did seem better. I shall probably pick the trilogy up in the next steam sale to keep my finalized fantasy satiated until the 7 remake hopefully somehow makes its way to pc.

• Kitsunin says:

Each game in the XIII trilogy is substantially better than the last in the gameplay department. XIII I liked quite a bit as an interactive movie (with somewhat annoying and even when avoided whenever possible, too-common combat). XIII-2 actually refined the system quite well and is fun to play. Lightning Returns is different, but probably the most fun combat-wise.

Aerothorn says:

Did we ever learn why that costume DLC was excluded? Yes, it doesn’t matter one bit; it just seems like it’d be more effort to exclude it than include it. I can’t imagine Squeenix signed a contract with Sony saying “THIS ONE COSTUME IS PLAYSTATION EXCLUSIVE FOR ALL TIME” but I also can’t imagine any other reason why’d they do that – particularly since FF7 is the original PC Final Fantasy.

• Jade Raven says:

They probably lost the master files for that costume or something like that. You would think this would be virtually impossible to happen, but it seems to still somehow affect some developers.

5. Sin Vega says:

Stay AWAY from my BINS

6. mavu says:

Square Enix does hair really well.