Oh! Epic’s Paragon Is Totes A MOBA

Oh! Oh! Epic’s mysterious new game Paragon [official site] is a MOBA! They finally explained that over the weekend, and I missed it because I’d stopped looking after a string of boring videos showing renders of generic characters posing. But! It’s a MOBA, as you may have guessed. It looks like it’s doing your usual MOBA things, but playing as a third-person shooter rather than a top-down clicky thing. Onwards to videos!

Here’s the first ‘gameplay’ trailer, for starters:

That’s some third-person shooting all right, aye? It’s also got ‘cards’ to collect and build into a deck, which sound like activatable special boosts and abilities – a bit like Paladins is also trying. Beyond that, Epic are going for the traditional lane-pushing bits, as the website mutters about “5v5. Three lanes. Jungles. Minions. Towers. Cores.” That’s a MOBA all right!

Epic say Paragon will get “paid Early Access” in spring 2016 then enter open beta in the summer, which sounds to me like it’ll be free-to-play. It’ll also be on PlayStation 4, with cross-platform play between the two.

And if you want to listen to M83 this morning, here’s the ‘announcement’ trailer:

1. Sunjammer says:

Yup that sure looks like an Epic game. My god do they need new art direction.

• John O says:

Yeh, it’s the most generic pathetic kiddy emo rock look they could go for. An airbrushed nightmare of kitsch.

Technically though, it looks really, really good. So I guess, if anything, it’ll work as an advertisement for their engine.

• DrollRemark says:

generic pathetic kiddy emo rock

Did you just draw these words out of a hat? I just don’t even get how they even fit together to describe anything at all. Let me try.

*spins tombola*

This game definitely has a really…pedantic…solipsitic…vibrato…grunge…rock (hey!) look to it.

• Angry Panda says:

What about…

A collective poignant adulterous afro Jazz,
          Look to it?

• RedViv says:

Now THAT is a SAUSAGES look I would be interested in.

• Sleepy Will says:

It’s so roastingly goofy that it’s become the very goat of differently goofy and ultimately, remarkably foamy in it’s delivery.

Hey… it works! Now I know how to talk on the internet, finally!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m not sure where you’re having a problem. All those words apply easily to any emo you happen to think is shit. Well except for the softer acoustic stuff.

• Petethegoat says:

It really does look awful. Technically it looks fine, but as you say the art direction is beyond boring. It makes Overwatch look like it has an original, interesting style by comparison.

And the characters! Choose from ‘cool man’, ‘metal gorilla’, ‘lady with wings’, and ‘just a ninja’.
      These would be boring ideas for character designs even if Overwatch hadn’t already shown how uninspiring they are.

• Dilapinated says:

The asteroid coming out of a purple portal image is nice. The rest, yeah. Cool Gun Manz.

• Synesthesia says:

god, this. It’s so bland, my eyes!

• Hunchback says:

Are you all insane? This looks like UT characters have moved from FPS into TPS Moba, and i don’t see how anything with the UT design can be bland, boring or… whatever crazy adjectives you are giving it. If you are too old and grumpy to like something that’s been tested and works and is also nice, i guess it’s ok but … i mean, damn ! Seeing the vid i instantly got hit by heavy nostalgia of evenings filled with double jumping and flack cannons and stuff. *shakes head*

• EhexT says:

The design isn’t just boring it’s lazy. It’s like they had a cancelled fantasy game and cancelled sci-game lying around (and that’s not even that unlikely) and they just said “hey instead of coming up with a new cohesive look, why don’t we just use all those assets we have?”. So now there’s fantasy archer and magician fighting space marine and robot, and nothing looks even remotely good next to each other.

2. Celes says:

So how many more years until people get tired with MOBA?
    I’m so ready to move on.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

If the FPS is any yardstick, about 30 years?

• Steven Hutton says:

Until somebody makes a genuinely good one.

• Kitsunin says:

Yes. Precisely. With the recent rush we’ve got the top-down RTS control-scheme MOBA subgenre taken care of (LoL HoTS and DOTA 2 make a nice trifecta covering most angles quite well, even if I think other games have done LoL’s corner far better and failed because they were too late to the party).

But the idea of a MOBA is huge, considering the things people have been calling MOBAs it could easily be a genre with more variation than “platformer” for instance. Yet the only really good MOBAs thus far have been in the clickety click subgenre.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Smite is an example of how you can explore new angles, but it’s not there yet and surely it has some divisive element, even without mentioning the art direction.

Still, it’s a bit sad that the “best ones” are considered those that implemented the same old control scheme which was born as a necessary evil in a Warcraft 3 custom map, only that is now considered “standard” even when you no longer need it.

• Dilapinated says:

Oh, I don’t know. Awesomenauts punches pretty high above its PR presence if you give it a chance.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

The RTS control scheme makes me laugh and laugh. It’s such a perfect demonstration of cargo cult game design. It’s so awkward, and the only reason it’s there is because DOTA was a Warcraft 3 mod.

You’re controlling one character, fer chrissakes. Blizzard could have so easily borrowed the great-feeling controls of Diablo 3 for their MOBA, but no.

• Razumen says:

Eh, The control scheme in Dota is okay, the only major gripe I have is that you have to constantly move the camera around to see what’s happening because the viewpoint is wayyy to close, and locking the camera to your character puts you at a huge visibility disadvantage, making you have to move it around manually anyways.

I don’t know why they don’t let you pull it farther back, it’s not like you’d be able to see anything the minimap doesn’t show you already.

• Sic says:

Indeed.

It’s the MMORPG all over again. You can’t compete with WoW, much in the same way that you can’t compete with DotA(2), and LoL. The best games are made already. Just stop trying. You’re never going to catch up, nor make any money. Stop. Trying.

• Sleepy Will says:

I dunno, didn’t the old republic mmo make it’s money back in pre-orders alone?

3. c-Row says:

MOBA? Eh, no thanks.

• Blackcompany says:

My sentiments exactly. Based on the game play, it looked like something that was originally designed to be…possibly a third person shooter/action game thingy. Perhaps something akin to Warframe, maybe. I could of gotten behind that.

Making it a MOBA just means its another game I will never play and its totally off my radar. Hopefully that crowd gets some joy out of it.

4. Crocobutt says:

Played League Of Legends for a year straight few years ago and that was quite plenty of the moba genre for me.

5. iainl says:

So we’ve got Battlecry and Battleborn, Paladins and Paragon.

Blizzard are getting a load of crap about Overwatch being an incredibly dull name for their new “It’s A MOBA But It Looks A Bit Like Team Fortress” attempt, but at least I can remember which one it is.

One thing’s for sure, the market’s got room for at most one of these. If that, judging from the phenomenal cosmic disaster of Evolve (because I can’t believe that the twist of having one “side” a single person was what killed it).

• Mokinokaro says:

Overwatch isn’t really a MOBA. It’s very much a TF2-style class based shooter. Just with very distinct classes.

And the market’s got room for quite a few: DOTA 2, Smite, LoL, HotS, etc. have all carved out their particular slices. This is coming from someone who loathes the whole genre.

Evolve failed due to terrible balance and very boring gameplay design combined with extremely predatory DLC practices.

• iainl says:

Part of the problem facing these things is that all MOBAs believe they’re the future of esports, and so feel the need to require at least 100 hours of nonsense before you even understand the basics. As a result, there’s no way to devote yourself to more than one, and it’s probably the one your mates are already playing.

So firstly it’s going to be a nightmare for any of these new ones to find a niche, and secondly the ones (like Overwatch) that want £30+ off you before you even start make it even less likely that people will give it a cursory couple of hours to see what they think.

• DrollRemark says:

Well that’s just the thing though, the lines between “WASD + mouse-aim MOBA” and TF2 are pretty thin, when you think about it. The term MOBA itself tends to put a lot of people off, but outside of the awkward control scheme of the originals, there’s not really much different about a class-based territory control game to what people are already playing.

• iainl says:

That’s pretty fair, come to think. TF2’s hat-based monetisation just make it even more ridiculous I didn’t see the link, I guess.

It may even be that its the endless hours of Team Fortress Classic (and Counterstrike, which is only another little hop away) that mean I can’t see the point of these any more.

6. Troubletcat says:

Literally everything about this makes my blood boil. It’s like the perfect storm of awful sounding bullshit.

Actually pretty impressed.

• Jekhar says:

Same here. Including the headline written in valley girl speak.

7. Kollega says:

Of course it’s a MOBA. Of course.

Sigh… I’d much rather Epic invest time and money into the new Unreal Tournament, because that at least is fun to play, even if my ping makes it difficult.

8. anHorse says:

It’s 2015

Companies are still shitting out mobas and expecting it to be the next LoL or Dota

9. vlonk says:

I really like the first 30 seconds of the second trailer which I clicked on first while skipping the text and even the headline.

I saw so much potential in this beautiful serene scenery! Just watch those first 30 seconds… And then I realize what I just clicked on *sigh*

Guess I keep moving with incredible speed and fancy glowing particles around my boots in the exact opposite direction of this and never look back.

10. nickclarkson says:

Yay new Epic IP… /me subscribes to mailing list. Announces it’s a MOBA… /me unsubscribes :/