Not-So-Secret Santa – Giants: Citizen Kabuto For Free

As GOG’s winter sale nears its end, the virtual vendors of vintage (and virginal!) video games are offering a freebie to everyone, no purchase necessary: Planet Moon’s Giants: Citizen Kabuto from the year 2000. Obviously, to save money for more bourbon, I shall be presenting Cara with a copy as her gift in our office Secret Santa once she returns from her festive nap. “It’s a cult classic,” I’ll say. “Pretty funny. You get to be a giant and puny Britishfolk and a sea witch and everything. Took me ages to find.” If any of you rotters give away the secret, there will be CONSEQUENCES.

To grab your free copy, head on over to the GOG front page and scroll all the way down past those squillion discounts until you see the banner offering it for free, then you should receive an e-mail with a voucher code. No, you can’t skip this by going to the game’s own page.

GOG’s winter sale runs until 1:59pm on Sunday. Have you picked up anything interesting in it, gang? I haven’t picked up anything yet myself, because I’m old and forget to check back in all the daily deals and whatnot.

Some of the folks behind Giants recently tried to crowdfund a spiritual successor by the name of First Wonder, but it did not go well. Far short of their goal, they decided to cancel their Kickstarter. They did say they haven’t given up on the game, though.

1. klo3 says:

Unforeseen consequences?

Tried it in 2000, and later had this on my backlog for ages before finally playing through it circa 2011. Glad I did, as it was quite entertaining…

2. skulgun says:

An amazing game ruined by the utter lack of a quicksave. (No, I’m not bitter I couldn’t beat the last Mecc level….)

• SomeDuder says:

The last Mecc level? Isn’t that the one where you FINALLY get to build up a base? That level is the best damn thing in the whole game! SHAME ON YOU!

Seriously though, this game’s voice-acting is genuinly amazing and worth extracting from the game’s installation folder so you can use them on your mobile devices. “DOOOOOOOOOON’T TEST ME SON!” is an amazing alarm notification, for example.

3. bill says:

1 – The is a great game. Imaginative, colorful, varied, funny.
    2 – I’m sure I already have this on GOG, but my account says no. Weird.
    3 – Cara??

• Crackerjacker says:

@bill

1. Oh yes so much so
      2. I just claimed it but not in my library yet. Am no waiting for GOG to email me with an answer which I will post here.
      3. Cara?!?

• TWChristine says:

I was wondering the same thing..I clicked on the banner, it said “Claimed,” and then when looking in the library I don’t see anything. I wasn’t sure if it was just going to take a while to finally show up or what, so I’m looking forward to your reply as well!

• Crackerjacker says:

No reply yet, but it does seem to now be in my library, so maybe their system is a bit overloaded – if anyone does claim it then I recommend waiting a little(Mine seems to have arrived after 10mins).

• Jalan says:

They mentioned on Twitter that it’s not an instantaneous thing – once you claim it, you get put into a queue and have to be patient.

• Trillby says:

Obviously not 100% sure, but I’d bet many eggnogs it’s link to mobile.twitter.com

• Zekiel says:

If it helps assuage your concerns, when I claimed Divine Divinity* it said I’d claimed it but took until the next day to show up in my account.

*I have no idea why I bothered, I have no interest in actually playing this game.

Aerothorn says:

CARA!!!!

4. Zekiel says:

“Have you picked up anything interesting in it, gang?”

Just impulse-bought Shadow Warrior (2013) which is totally out of character for me. But it was only £2.49 and supporting GoG gives me warm fuzzy feelings. Also it might be fun.

5. dareth says:

Can we get a gathering from RPS together to do multiplayer? I miss battling it out in this game.

Skabooga says:

I ended up getting Divinity: Original Sin and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in GOG’s sale. Something old and something new!

7. Konservenknilch says:

I remember this as the first game I played with my new Kyro 2. Damn I still felt smug about that investment. And still an awesome GPU.

And yeah, the game was pretty neat too. Though the Mecc campaign was by far the best (jetpack, yay!)

8. Konservenknilch says:

And god fart you GOG, you made me spend a stupid amount of money on games I probably won’t replay anyway. But i needs it.

9. RegisteredUser says:

Its a great game even these days and very much worth playing through if you didn’t when it came out.

10. rabbit says:

loved the game back in the day. never beat that last fucking race level as the witch though. was it really necessary to have THAT many races? with rubberband AI. ugh.