Have You Played… Science And Industry?

Science & Industry was a mod for Half-Life in which two team did battle for control of a limited pool of scientists. Capture one and bring them back to your base and you could put them to work on researching new technologies, which would both aid your team in the fight and earn you money which would ultimately decide the match’s victor.

It was superb. It took similar ideas to Capture the Flag and it draped a narrative upon it that made for a most interesting progression to matches, as research led to the gradual escalation of the fight as teams moved from pistols to unlocking shotguns and crossbows and flesh eating viruses. It meant that the progression of weaponry was intrinsically linked to your activities as a team, which as far as multiplayer economies go was more interesting and complex than most in its heyday.

Where it fell down, I think, was that most of the weapons and actual combat you were using was overly similar to the base Half-Life weapons. It was a mode, maybe, more than it was a game. But it was a mode I wish had been adopted by every other game out there. It would be perfect in Team Fortress 2, for example.

You can still play the game today, as it continues to be polished and tested and regularly updated.

Top comments

1. behrooz says:

My most vivid S&I memories aren't directly about playing the game, they're about bugs.

Sometimes, in the heyday of S&I, servers would crash unexpectedly for no apparent reason. Naturally, this always seemed to happen just as the game was getting exciting, but it persisted for at least a year with nobody able to reliably reproduce the issue.

Until one day when I was testing something completely unrelated (Breakable equipment trigger FX? Probably on Metro?) and crashed several times in a short time while trashing lab equipment to see how the explosions and sparks and such looked.

Pretty quickly this allowed me to narrow down the issue to using grenades in the labs-- the server would crash any time a grenade bounced off a scientist. Boom! Crash found!

But the best part of the bug was why. At the dawn of time, our hallowed legendary ancestors Goldmund and Potatojin coded the ability to capture enemy scientists by bashing them upside the head with a briefcase, throwing them over your shoulder, and carrying them off as booty.

PNB looked into this, and said that the crash resulted from the scientist-grabbing code being based on the damage type -- damage classed as physical impact.

As a legacy from the Half-Life coding they originated from, grenades did that type of damage if they bounced off something, in addition to the ranged explosive damage when they go boom.

So the grenade would be thrown, hit a scientist, and the code would attempt to trigger attachment of the KO'd scientist model to the grenade model. There's no valid attachment point to do so, so the server would crash.

I still have a mental image of grenades running around with stunned scientists attached.

---

Also, the func_rotating in Rush and the bug that caused anything that rotated in the right circumstances to cause damage, but that's a different story...

"-smdm|behroozwolf- was killed by rotating"
  2. internetexplorer says:

As the current maintainer of the SI game code, I can confirm that this bug still exists in various forms! A few months ago, I was doing some large scale video game eugenics/"testing" where I had to kill a lot of scientists really fast...lo and behold, if I did it while I was holding my briefcase, I would end up with an unconscious scientist carried on my shoulders. You see, this is the core mechanic in SI - you 'capture' scientists like flags by knocking them out and recruiting them to your company! Anyway, the game was looking for the briefcase's damage type and putting the scientist on me instead of splattering it into Arby's-grade meat. I had almost the same thing happen when I tried to add 'friendly fire on scientists' - you could pick up your own scientists and...recruit them again? Give them a promotion?

I guess what I'm saying is you're not alone. SI is always watching :^]

If anyone out there reading this actually likes old FPS games, you should come try SI!
  1. Solidstate89 says:

Graham, Alice is looking for you.

2. Demios says:

Wow, this takes me back to the early 2000s.

3. Cross says:

Wasn’t there also a variant made for Half-Life 2?

4. TychoCelchuuu says:

This was such a tremendous mod. It had a great sense of humor, starting from the hilarious concept down to some of the wacky gadgets, but the way things played out in game were also really neat and innovative (the team voting on what to research, the way the match shifted as new tech got researched, etc.) and the game was deep and twitchy enough to allow for some really competitive play, so it wasn’t just one big goofy joke.

5. Jakkar says:

Hnrgrhrghr! Perhaps not quite the best HL mod of all, but certainly the most original, and the cleverest multiplayer project to emerge on that engine.

AND PEOPLE STILL PLAY IT?!

I’m still friends with Charlie Midland on Facebook!

*frantic downloading*

WHERE IS KRATHOR?! WE MUST ORGANISE A GAME.

6. GuyonthecoucH says:

Thank you for the kind words! Yes, SI is alive, and churning out updates to the 1.2 beta regularly. You can join the Weekly Sunday Gathers (2pm CST) to play loosely organized matches with the SI community. There is a mix of new and old players, all are welcome.

7. Lakshmi says:

Good choice! I loved this mod so much. We had so much fun playing this back in the day.

Harlander says:

Oh my, yes. There were only a handful of multiplayer mods I’ve played with any kind of regularity, and Science and Industry was high in that exalted company.

8. darkath says:

This mod is amazing, probably the best mp mod of HL1. Back in the day I played this game a lot (i was like 12). One day my father asked me what kind of stupid game i was playing :
    “Science & Industry” i replied.
    “Science & Industry, why do you have a gun then ?”
    “Well you see …”

• RanDomino says:

My vote goes for Natural Selection (Why is there an alien commander, NS2? WHY?) but S&I is a close second. I found it too frantic and disorganized but I can see how it would have a lot of depth for people that really get into it. For example I always suspected that there was some strategy to picking technologies that would counter what the other team was picking, but I didn’t get into S&I nearly far enough to see if that was really true or how it worked in practice.

• darkath says:

NS was also amazing but i was always terrible at the game so i never played a lot. It was just too frustrating for 12 year old me :p
        What i liked about S&I was how the various systems in the mod were both very clever and fun as pointed out by the article.

A modern take on S&I would be amazing, and i’d rather see one than a Nth MFPOBA which seems to be the trendy genre for 2016.

9. Distec says:

If there was ever a Kickstarter for a standalone treatment ala The Ship… oh yeah, I’d back it.

10. behrooz says:

My most vivid S&I memories aren’t directly about playing the game, they’re about bugs.

Pretty quickly this allowed me to narrow down the issue to using grenades in the labs– the server would crash any time a grenade bounced off a scientist. Boom! Crash found!

PNB looked into this, and said that the crash resulted from the scientist-grabbing code being based on the damage type — damage classed as physical impact.

So the grenade would be thrown, hit a scientist, and the code would attempt to trigger attachment of the KO’d scientist model to the grenade model. There’s no valid attachment point to do so, so the server would crash.

Also, the func_rotating in Rush and the bug that caused anything that rotated in the right circumstances to cause damage, but that’s a different story…

“-smdm|behroozwolf- was killed by rotating”

• darkath says:

Thanks for sharing this little story. Weird stuff like this tend to happens a lot with mod that tries to do stuff that were never imagined by the devs of the original game :p

• internetexplorer says:

As the current maintainer of the SI game code, I can confirm that this bug still exists in various forms! A few months ago, I was doing some large scale video game eugenics/”testing” where I had to kill a lot of scientists really fast…lo and behold, if I did it while I was holding my briefcase, I would end up with an unconscious scientist carried on my shoulders. You see, this is the core mechanic in SI – you ‘capture’ scientists like flags by knocking them out and recruiting them to your company! Anyway, the game was looking for the briefcase’s damage type and putting the scientist on me instead of splattering it into Arby’s-grade meat. I had almost the same thing happen when I tried to add ‘friendly fire on scientists’ – you could pick up your own scientists and…recruit them again? Give them a promotion?

I guess what I’m saying is you’re not alone. SI is always watching :^]

• Cadaver says:

BehroozWolf! Just need posts from PNB/Whiplash/vondi/TNoF and we’ve got ourselves a reunion :)

I’m not normally prone to nostalgia, but this post gave me serious warm and fuzzies. I was co-lead and main level designer for S&I for a couple of years, and it was a great time. I love that it’s still being updated! I’m reinstalling now…

What I remember most is the community. We had a small but diehard set of fans, who all helped drive the development of the mod. I haven’t really had the same sense of online community since. I also made levels for other great Half-Life mods like Counter-Strike, Natural Selection and Frontline Force…this could be rose-tinted glasses, but that really seemed like a golden age of mods.

Pragmatically speaking, I’m sure that the reason I think that is because I was at university at the time, and I had the free time to dedicate to investing in our S&I community and playing virtually every HL mod released. Is there an equivalent now? I guess the indie scene has replaced the mod scene, and while I love indie games, I wonder if the lack of a parent game has led to more atomised communities.

I’ll see if I can get a game of S&I tonight…wonder if the Shrink Ray we wanted ever got implemented…

• behrooz says:

It’s almost like all of the people of a certain mindset read RPS!

ANYWAY, for those of you who want to play S&I in the modern day, the best way of doing so is joining the steam community. There are a couple gatherings a week that pull at least a 5v5.

11. El_Emmental says:

A fantastic mod, also one of the very first to come on HL1 if I recall correctly. A real shame S&I 2 couldn’t get a new team of devs.

So many different objectives allowed players to diversify to better fit their playstyle:
    – on offense: you could kill players, steal intel, steal weapons (to boost your own research), break computers, steal scientists, disturb enemy research (with hidden radios :D).
    – on defense: you could protect your base equipment, scientists, intel, boost your scientists.

S&I also gave the idea of playing with corporations’ visual identities in the complete redesign of the Team Fortress 2 project (initially a mix of TFC visuals with Frontline Force – which is fitting given FLF dev(s), like Finol, joined Valve at that moment). I don’t know if any S&I dev went to Valve, but their world/story design certainly did :)

I tried playing with the old gang some months ago, but practically all the players left are the ones bunny-hopping and running weapon scripts (chaining the attacks of 3 to 4 weapons at once), so as a more casual, laid-back player, I get dominated in duels on offense.

• internetexplorer says:

You mean it isn’t a coincidence that SI and TF2 are the only two video games on the entire planet with three letter acronym, single-colour 1960s spytech/paramilitary companies fighting? Too bad the people who made SI before TF2 was even vaporware didn’t file for their trademark!

To clarify: yes, the game does have bunnyhopping. No, no one who plays is ‘running weapon scripts’ – people bind keys to draw guns instead of slowly scrolling through the list or whatever people did in 1999.

This does raise an important point, though: SI is an old-style FPS game with fast, unforgiving combat and a skilled playerbase. If you want a more relaxed experience, there are plenty of other options. We don’t owe you anything :^]

• El_Emmental says:

I just meant that I’m happy to see the good ideas brought up by SI later found a way (directly or indirectly) in other titles, chill out with the ‘intellectual property’ stuff.

Also, your claim that no one is running scripts is hilarious, I’ve been playing mods, including SI, since 2001 ; countless times I talked with other SI players about all aspects of the game, they all confirmed that yes, shitload of people are using scripts/macros (whatever word you use to describe a set of commands firing and switching weapons automatically with a single press of a button/click), firing 3 to 4 weapons in a single jump (usually until the gauss gun is available). Being in denial about it is exactly what drove away thousands of new players: even the noobs can smell the bullshit.

You say SI is an old-style FPS with fast, unforgiving combat and a skilled playerbase, that people who don’t feel welcome can get the fuck away… Then the Steam group for SI is constantly begging for people to barely set up a 5 vs 5 game. You forgot to research the “Consistency” upgrade on the way there.

I used to play Q3A (then QL) too, Warsow as well (2.0 is out btw), I know what fast, unforgiving combat featuring bunnyhopping is. And I know what a bunch of elitist nincompoops who can’t adapt to other players can do to a brilliant title.

I can handle myself with gauss flying and I usually keep up with the group when we bunnyhop into the enemy base, but only playing with that kind of players make the combat gameplay utterly boring and unoriginal: always the same camping at a corner and spamming the strafing to screw up the hitboxes (GoldSource engine yay) until we get the gauss (then it’s just railgun duels), research is the same old race to the gauss gun+refilling ammo+heavy armor, “skills” is aiming your finetuned weapons macros/scripts to spam the last 3-most-powerful weapons. Nothing exciting there, especially after doing that exact same predictable thing for more than ten years.

Several years ago, SI still had nice top players who would fool around with weaker weapons, turn off the macros and have fun with the noobs. hell, they would even use the Akimbos for giggles. Nowadays you only get the “I’m the best player at this game!” (because they simply spent 10+ years on it) mentality, from people who forgot to chill out and let everyone enjoy the game experience, including the people who can’t gauss-fly from base to base without touching the ground once. These people were the vast majority of SI players, back when it was alive.

I don’t expect you to realize this, since bursting this bubble would mean giving up on the only thing that still links you to SI, but be assured that this kind of mentality is the main reason people stopped coming to SI.

People came to SI to have fun, and they had a lot of fun, it worked well. Competitive gameplay was left to clan matches and everyone was happy. Bringing the comp to the public servers, for easy noob-stomping, permanently killed that fun. In a couple of months, everyone but the comp players moved on to other games. Good luck finding “1 more player please!” these days.

• El_Emmental says:

PS: my comment might be a little harsh but I believe you (and SI) deserve honesty over beating around the bush endlessly.

Comp players driving away newcomers killed countless excellent game series (Q3A, Tribes, and UT to some extent), it just pains me to see it happen to the best titles out there, one after another, until there’s only CoD-like titles left with actual playerbases.

• internetexplorer says:

You sound like you’re mad because you got beaten at a video game and have built yourself a dozen layers of rationalization instead of just playing the game and improving. I could be wrong, of course, but I’ve been around lots of the games you namedropped to see this repeated many times.

Either way, I don’t owe you anything and you seem like the type of negative personality I don’t want around my game. As one of the people maintaining SI for free, all I ask is that people try to play it and enjoy it. If they can’t enjoy it, I’m happy to hear criticism written by someone who doesn’t have a huge chip on their shoulder. If your criticism is that the people who play the game are good at it, you don’t have a leg to stand on. But you knew that already..

If I had to suggest my own reason why lots of old FPS communities are dead, it’s because so many new players arriving are thin-skinned and expect the entire world to be handed to them on a silver platter. When I don’t bend over backwards and make the entire game into *what they want* (for free, of course) they lose their cool. And that’s fine – just go do it somewhere else and let us have our fun. Communities die because of the people who only want to ‘take’ and ‘get’ things. What you called ‘elitism’ is what has kept lots of old games alive, because it doesn’t answer to crybabies and social media bullies.

The reason we post announcements asking for new players (or for 1 person to make a 2v3 into a 3v3) is because we like playing the game and we’re trying to keep it alive. If you want to read into it more than that, be my guest, but ask yourself these key questions:

1) Did I make SI 1.2?
          2) Do I run pickup games every week for SI?
          3) Did the SI community go on without me?
          4) Is hating on Call of Duty and namedropping old FPS games a good way to build up fake credibility around people who hated me from the moment they read the first word in my post?

Thanks for playing.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, you seem to be the one assuming a lot of things about me…

Regarding your involvement with SI, that’s great of you to take care of it and I’m sure the 30 or so players enjoy the current SI experience, but that doesn’t change a thing to the subject, which is the behavior of comp players.

Also, changing my words (“hate” on Call of Duty, really? from the guy insinuating they’re crybabies who aren’t welcomed on SI?) seems like you’re projecting a bit here.

Then, I tried to indicate the context of my point of view, and you call that name-dropping. These game series existed, were played, and died, I can’t change that fact, even it offends you.

I only indicated I played these demanding old-school fast-paced FPS because you were assuming I am not familiar with that kind of gameplay. You seemed to assume I would struggle to bunnyhop and get some kills because maybe I wouldn’t have learned to play like that, so I tried to indicate that I was actually rather familiar with that kind of gameplay. I’ve been playing these games for 15 years, I usually sit in the top 3 of my team on public servers (so at least I know the basics) and clan matches aren’t unknown to me. Do I need to find some screenshots and demos to prove (sic) you that I’m not a noob who couldn’t do a crossbow quickscope after a gauss jump? Or can we get to the core of the discussion, which is the gameplay experience provided by a playerbase?

“Either way, I don’t owe you anything and you seem like the type of negative personality I don’t want around my game”

1) I never said you owed me anything, that’s quite weird you keep mentioning that. Do you assume that because you’re the current SI lead dev, everyone talking about SI with you is asking you to change the game design? The SI I enjoyed is dead, the playerbase I enjoyed is gone, and the current SI doesn’t interest me *for the reasons I explained in my first post*. You’re free to do whatever you want with it, that’s the whole point of modding.

2) You’re right that, as the lead dev, you’re free to choose the game design of your choice and curate your playerbase as you wish. Your game, your rules. And as an ex-SI player, I have the right to share my opinion on the evolution of the SI playerbase. If you find my opinion so troubling, feel free to disagree with me on the subject, but it would be nice to not pull the same “uh L2P noob” argument.

“If your criticism is that the people who play the game are good at it, you don’t have a leg to stand on.”

My criticism is that the people who still play the game never realized that applying their min/maxed playstyle, tactics and macros, against lesser skilled players, actually kills the interest for any newcomers and in the end kills the playerbase.

It may sound crazy, but when I see a newbie in a game I’m relatively good at (“hur dur impossible, he must be scrub everywhere…” :D), I refrain from using the most efficient weapons and tricks, because dominating that player is:
            1) not challenging at all for me (and I’m here for the challenge, not domination…)
            2) needlessly frustrating for the new player (and I’m not a sadist)

If “the people who play the game [who] are good at it” can’t adapt and leave the comp stuff at the door when playing on public servers, then yeah they lack a certain social skill that is called sportsmanship (that includes fairness and respect for other players).

“… it’s because so many new players arriving are thin-skinned and expect the entire world to be handed to them on a silver platter.”

There’s some players without the will to learn anything, indeed. Does it mean we have to adopt the extreme opposite, by being the most hostile environment possible, to weed out anyone slightly less dedicated than us? Do we really need that kind of violent competition to have an interesting game experience?

“What you called ‘elitism’ is what has kept lots of old games alive, because it doesn’t answer to crybabies and social media bullies.”

What kept a lot of old games alive was that learning to get better at the game (that ‘elitism’) would puts you with people who actually valued the gameplay experience of others and would make sure everyone had a good moment playing it. It filtered out the players who would stick to one single game, weapon and camping spots, then try to maximize their K/D ratio to grow their epeen, making the experience terrible for all the other players.

It’s that basic sportsmanship that motivated the newbies into becoming regulars and going back to the game, even if they weren’t at the top of the scoreboard: they were still defeated, but it was a *fair* defeat. They knew they had a chance, they knew they could work on it and see the positive results of their efforts.

Simply go on any gaming forum and ask the players who used to play all these mods and games in the 2000s, most weren’t any good at these but they knew they could have some great moments – success was always reachable.

More recently, I talked with countless “new” players in the last 5 years who recently tried and gave up on all these niche mods and games: most of them simply got tired of the humiliation rat race of the experience there, where everyone’s preying on anyone below them to get the easiest domination.

In my case, I tend to soldier on (because I learned to endure back when it was worth it because it was fair), but even when I’m at the top of the scoreboard (not that hard on public servers), that negative mentality gets really tiring: I see skilled players spawncamping, exploiting glitches, solely targeting newbies to get easy kills while avoiding all their skilled opponents. That stuff is depressing to see, really. Especially when it’s your own teammates doing it, because you can’t do anything about it and anything you do to help your team, makes that shitty experience happen for all the other players.

That’s why I believe that saying new players just have to be “thick-skinned” is delusional and dishonest: if when playing the game/mod, the gameplay treats them like shit, the other players treat them like shit, and they’re expected to treat the newcomers like shit – then they have no reason to stay. And they don’t: all the games with that kind of playerbase rapidly dry up and kick the bucket.

Why don’t you love me?!
            *punch face*
            *the person flees and never return*
            Damnit, nobody likes me, they’re all a bunch of crybabies!

• internetexplorer says:

This post is 1149 words. There’s no fucking way I’m reading it.

• El_Emmental says:

“active” :D

• Loulimi says:

“This post is 1149 words. There’s no fucking way I’m reading it.
            You can have the last word, but I’ll take the cool game with the active playerbase.”
            Wait… that’s pure puerility! If you take part in a debate, you don’t ignore your opponent’s reply so rudly when, for his part, he wrote what seems to be a clever comment.

• GuyonthecoucH says:

Hi, I’m the other person helping maintain and improve SI, and also someone that’s played for the past 15 years, organized pick up games, and kept the game alive out of pocket. Few things!

People don’t script much at all for in game actions, except one guy who scripts their tau jump, and we make fun of him at every opportunity! But I can’t recall anyone scripting 1 button to fire multiple weapons back to back.

How would pressing a button and cycling through 4 guns and firing them over the next few seconds actually give someone an advantage over pressing their corresponding shotgun key (I’m partially to Q!), firing, then pressing their crossbow key (E for me!) and firing the gun? You can bind individual weapons and devices to keys through the options menu.

Quick sniping has been dead for nearly 10 years in SI, 1.1 killed it.

Bunnyhopping is easier than ever, hold space, move mouse, strafe in the same direction as the mouse and gain speed. It’s also tied into the tech tree!

No one cares who is at the top of the scoreboard, the game is about making more money than the other team by capturing and nurturing your Einstein brain farm. New players can do plenty to help out that isn’t just deathmatching.

We don’t expect new players to understand everything the first round and we try to help anyone that asks for it. The odds of this succeeding skyrockets if the newcomer is willing to learn and voices any questions they have, not everyone does and that’s OK too. The game isn’t for everyone, SI has no persistent Skinner Box or level grinding to work towards. It is self contained to each match played and that doesn’t appeal to all people.

Rushing Gauss and ammo tech has alternatives thanks to 1.2 and is even considered unsafe in some situations and maps. If you want specifics you can read through the change log for each patch here: link to scienceandindustrygame.com

I don’t think I got your name, who did you play as?

• El_Emmental says:

Hi GuyonthecoucH, thanks for your kind and detailed answer.

Weapons scripting was never used by 100% of the playerbase, thank god, but when it’s used by some of the top 5 players of the server it just makes it miserable for everyone else, because it basically doubles their “alpha strike” damage (first volley of attack in an encounter): the other players who play it fair and fire their 2-3 weapons (using last used weapons and custom binds) will always leave a few ms here and there – that includes the comp-level players who sit at the very top of the scoreboard.

What’s problematic is when the weapon switching and firing is finetuned to meet the exact millisecond the game allows the player to input these commands. When you put all that stuff in a script, you get 99% success rate (after a few test to take latency into account) and you can focus on something else you can’t really script, which is aiming while doing high-speed bunnyhoping involving many turns.

The most obvious example is an average fighter pulling a 3-to-4 weapons strike during a single jump, then struggling to select the right device or weapon for a specific situation, or struggling to select the right weapon when the others are already empty.

Since that scripting isn’t included in the game (because it’s not part of the game design, if I’m not mistaken), all the people who couldn’t add it to their arsenal right away (or were already skilled enough to counter that) just left the mod. I didn’t left right away because I could handle most situations using keyboard binds and working on my situational awareness to start a fight with a cover/height/surprise advantage, but it slowly burnt my will to stay.

I saw you guys got quite active lately with the 1.2 versions, shuffling things around and everything – I was quite happy to see there were still some people playing with the mod structure, after such a long time! – but I just can’t go back to it.

I joined the SI gathers a few times, but nothing had changed since the old SI passed away. I figured it wasn’t the SI experience I enjoyed, so rather than staying and annoying the comp players by asking them to change (which would not be legitimate at all: it’s their place now, they’re the majority by far!), I should better forget about it and focus on other mods and games.

It’s just that asking newbies to come, then being surprised they won’t stay nor recommend it to their friends… I gotta point out something’s not exactly right in the equation, a gear isn’t turning in the machine.

Regarding my nickname, I never stuck with a single one for two reasons:
        1) I quite value my privacy (nickname = logs = WON ID/Steam ID = my activity on other games and communities + potentially my private life)
        2) It is rather fun to invent a new one for each game, mod or current inspiration. I started doing that consistently after finding out each mod had their own default name (SI’s “Intern” was one of the best :D)

Anyway, I don’t even know why I got mad with internetexplorer… Good luck to you all with the 1.2 betas, sooner or later odd mods like SI will find a way to build a new audience and fill up some servers, I’m sure it will be back :)

12. GuyonthecoucH says:

Let me reiterate, as one of the people that has been with the mod for 15+ years and a part of the competitive scene for 7 seasons when it was a thing; no one would do something as silly as create a script that would fire off several weapons back to back.

Why would any skilled player leave any decision up to a script? We are all adults capable of clicking the mouse over the enemy model when we want the gun to fire at the man!

The timing window for firing the weapons isn’t actually strict and can be buffered while the weapon switch occurs, I hope this is not a new revelation for someone that is “top 3 scoreboard.” This has been a thing since Half-Life was release. You can hold either fire button during the weapon switch time and it will fire the shot immediately when it is available. But this isn’t always the right choice, sometimes you aren’t in a position to actually fire a gun and hit the target.

Maybe if players were running around firing off multiple weapons into nothingness after killing another player, or attacking a wall after ducking behind it, that would lead me to believe that people like you have outlined have actually existed in the SI community. But they do not.

If you would like to peer review my own play and inform me of my possible script usage, please do! You can start with last weeks gather: link to youtube.com

13. internetexplorer says:

Since we’re between maps in the gather right now, I just want to make a quick post to remind everyone how this game works.

We just finished banning a guy 5 times because he has a gazillion accounts dedicated to joining, calling us shitty and then teamkilling.

Nobody who played last week from RPS came back this week to play, even though a lot of them seemed to enjoy it and had good things to say. It’s almost like gaming sites are full of fairweather friends!

Anyway SI will go on without all the people I just mentioned, and now I’m gonna pick teams and play the next map :^]

14. Anonymous says:

Had to put my 2 cents in here.

Science and Industry has, hands down, the most enjoyable multiplayer Shooter game mode I have ever played. It’s obvious why S&I didn’t take off, TFC’s class system was soo new and CS would take nearly the entire HL mod audience for many years. But SI was never picked up by the masses, just a great small community of serious to casual players who enjoy the challenges a truly unique game mode provides

About me I have played SI from .97 and still currently, however I didn’t for about 7 or more years in between (I have very early memories of playing on an alpha server alongside Action HL and other fresh mods). I am rusty at best and all I have is my ATD strats and decent bunnyhopping skills. I can keep up with our best veteran players but my aim betrays me, yet in my hayday I was competative.

Back in the day, there where most certainly a handful of scripting players in public matches. They may have had a slight advantage but it didn’t make them unkillable. As GuyOntheCouch pointed out, they would be entirely pointless with the latest versions and completely obvious to a group of extremely observant seasoned players that won’t put up with that. Any fast weapon switching is done with our fingers and the knowledge of which weapons combo best with others. ie. the classic shotgun, quicksnipe, rp/tommy(not sure how viable this is anymore). Regardless, all of this knowledge and skill is available for new players willing to communicate, and with a little practice, totally achievable.

Keep in mind if you have never played SI and are awesome at CS, QuakeLive, AG(probably the closest to SI combat) or any other competitive FPS. You will not be the best SI player on the server for some time. I don’t assume I’m going to beat anyone when I play Qlive, I haven’t played every year since 1999.

The great thing about SI is you never actually have to kill anyone to contribute. One teammate hopping around the map making the other team vomit everywhere and distracting their scientists while using the midray to increase your own scientists production is a great way to give your team a HUGE advantage, try it your team will likely win.

I’m certain I never posted better than a 1 k/d ration in any clan match. I play offense I run as fast as I can and try to outsmart the other team and work in tandom with my teammates to retrieve scientists and resources(you get more points for these anywho). If You like that K/D ratio high and like in your face combat. Play defense or middleground when you get better. There are so many play styles available.

Come play SI with us! It’s amazing. You will laugh yourself to tears many times, and cuss at your PC just as many. You will also be amazed by and can learn so much from our veteran players who really are that good and friendly.