Awooo! DayZ Teases Predatory Animals

Historically, the go-to feature for adding a splash of scary to games has been zombies. Hordes of ’em, coz the undead are terrifying, yeah? So what do you do when your game began life as a zombified mod for another game, like DayZ [official site] to the open-world military sim Arma II? You introduce predatory animals to the relative safety of the world’s expansive plains. In DayZ, that’s the plan and this here work-in-progress video is proof:

“It’s no secret that we’ve wanted to bring dangerous predatory animal threats to the woods and fields of Chernarus – and we’re getting close to being able to do just that!” lead producer Brian Hicks said in the latest dev blog post.

Although the DayZ standalone has been criticised for its lacking zombie threat, for me it’s at its best in its quieter moments. The safe ones, the peaceful ones, the calm before the often brief but inevitably deadly storms. A lot of DayZ, you see, has you cutting about the fictional post-Soviet state Chernarus on your lonesome, scavenging for food and water and whatever else you can lay your hands on. The moments of action tend to be fleeting and often fall within confined spaces, all of which adds to the tension of the tranquil ones. Enemies spotted out in the wild can be telegraphed with relative ease thus adding packs of ravenous wolves – and possibly other avaricious animals – that can’t be outrun will be a very interesting development to the survival sandbox.

The critic in me is excited. The shitebag in me is not.

1. Umberto Bongo says:

ArmA III mod, really?

2. Synesthesia says:

well… that was… something. How embarassing.

3. int says:

DayZ, DayZ,
    Give me your answer do!
    I’m half crazy,
    Will you ever come true?

• plastesin says:

You have to wait until Day Z coming.
      The problem is that there is no Day named Z.
      :P

4. The Crane says:

One should never EVER tease predatory animals.

5. Chaz says:

Squirrels, vicious little bastards!

6. KastaRules says:

Wolves tend to avoid humans and their attacks are pretty rare, I hope it won’t turn into something like The Elder Scrolls / Fallout in which pretty much the whole wildlife is hostile to the player.

I’d rather just deal with zombies. Give us zombies. Please.

• Sic says:

I couldn’t agree more.

Sure, add dangerous wildlife, but add the danger where it’s actually appropriate. Like coming between a mother moose and its offspring. Or stepping through onto a bear hibernating. Just don’t make silly myth based nonsense.

7. IonTichy says:

Does anyone still care about this game?

• anHorse says:

Despite owning it I had legitimately forgotten it was a standalone game

8. Bassem says:

Fuck DayZ. I bought it on day one, excited by the mod’s potential and Dean Hall’s apparent enthusiasm. What a piece of shit this game has been and continues to be. My most regrettable gaming purchase.

9. racccoon says:

What a shame this game had so many pipe dreams and the owner got so confused by how he did it, that so, he went to REAL game development company & still managed to mod their game as a release, seemly, in his head, he never left his bedroom in NZ, but, set out to make nothing else but another mod.
    The reality is he made money yeah! Great for him..
    Fans got the same package as he had before and he didn’t even realise that he should of made the game from scratch with an area of no comparisons to the game the devs had, the ARMA series..
    HE’S SO DUMB but now money bags through shamefullness really, as its all the payer players one like silly me who fell for this hyped upped farse.
    Really bad management.