Become The City In A Place For The Unwilling

A Place for the Unwilling’s creators Alpixel Games – the folks that brought us Missing Translationdescribe it as a “narrative adventure game where the city is the actual protagonist”. They draw comparisons to psychological horror Pathologic and the side quests in The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, with a touch of Lovecraft instead of fighting and time-travel, which is quite a combination.

Alpixel say A Place for the Unwilling has “no puzzles or game over screens” so it’s just you, the city, and the tales of the civilians within. You’re free to explore the world which you oversee, uncover secrets and stories, and in turn shape future events which tie to the future of the city. It looks hella pretty:

The city itself declares:

“I do exist. There are others like me which are nothing but streets of empty buildings decorated with monuments and street lights, but that’s not my case. I have a body, but also a brain and a heart. I can feel people moving inside of me, I can hear hundreds of conversations taking place in my streets right now and even see beings from other realities

“I have been feeling ill lately. There’s something inside of me that does not belong here. I don’t know how it entered or why, but it may be wise to fear it, the dark lurks even in the brightest places and nobody is safe. The following days will play a very important role in the life of the shadows. The pieces are already on the board and the game is about to start.”

If that tickles your fancy – although there’s much more to go right now – you can follow A Place for the Unwilling’s development on the TIGSource forum.

1. Mario Figueiredo says:

The visual art looks exquisite, to the point of it alone being worth the purchase, even if the game ends up lacking everywhere else. The premise is interesting however. It will all depend on how they deliver. We don’t have any prior work to hold on to. Missing Translation, their only other game, is vastly different.

2. malkav11 says:

This is definitely the sort of game that tickles my fancy. Hopefully it’s good.

3. Cerzi says:

Makes me think of The Etched City

4. Gilead says:

From their website, the team members are:

“Rubén, who draws all the art
    Celer, who is in charge of music and sound design
    Luis, who does design, code and random stuff”

Hopefully there will also be somebody responsible for the writing, or else it runs the risk of being one of those games that keeps going on about narrative and story and then hands off the work of creating all of that to whoever in the team has a spare minute and a keyboard.

Unless it doesn’t contain any actual dialogue or narrative exposition, which would kind of make sense given their last project.

• Lakshmi says:

Hmm I do love the idea, but you’re right it hinges on the writing. Hope it’s just an oversight on that page.

• cpt_freakout says:

If that Celer is ambient music’s Celer, we’re in for a treat in terms of sound and music.

5. EkoAzarak says:

yes please i want this game.

6. Zekiel says:

Sounds very interesting! The art style reminds me of The Bridge (only prettier and more detailed).

7. ThatChris says:

You had me at “narrative adventure game”. But throw in some Lovecraft styled Pathologic and Majora’s Mask feels? This has the potential to be something really special.

8. God of Darkness says:

I wouldn’t trust the value of any game by the creators of Missing Translation, though this one *looks* as though it’s complete…