The Sunday Papers

Sundays are for rounding up links to the internet’s best games writing, in the traditional format because that’s what you asked for.

• Comments were split in the feedback about whether links to the likes of The Guardian and Eurogamer were necessary, but enough people said they appreciated them that they shall remain. Here’s Simon Parkin at the former profiling Miles Jacobson, director of Football Manager.
  • Jacobson first came to Vicarage Road for his seventh birthday. “In Watford, at that time, you either supported Liverpool, as they were best team, or Tottenham or Arsenal, as they were relatively nearby,” he says. “I wanted to support my local team; it was the only way that I’d get to see matches.” Jacobson’s father, an unemployed inventor, had no interest in the sport, so his mother begrudgingly brought her son along for his first Tuesday night fixture. “She sat in the stand, read Woman’s Weekly and did the Evening Standard crossword,” Jacobson recalls.

• And at the same site, here’s Holly Nielsen talking to historian Alana Harris about Assassin’s creed Syndicate, and where it succeeds and fails as a depiction of its time and place.
  • However, Harris argues that the game’s jarring mechanic of allowing players to “liberate” a select few children working in a factory is an example of us imposing our own anachronistic views of Victorian London onto the past. “Child labour was an ongoing concern for the Victorians, and there were concerted efforts to address it, particularly as we start to move into the 1870’s and 80’s with the Education Acts,” she says. “But, of course, the ongoing issue was the need for child labour to actually supplement the family income, so if we’re liberating these children, what are we liberating them to? And what does this actually mean for their families and the family structures that were dependent on their wage?

• A bunch of people in the comments a fortnight ago mentioned that they had special fondness for articles written by developers. So here’s one from the creator of Gorogoa writing about creating a system for animating the drawing of images. Gorogoa’s demo/alpha from a couple of years ago was a delight, and you should be excited for the finished game.
  • I decided that during several scenes in Chapter 3, we should see the main character writing and drawing sketches in a notebook. I wanted us to see the drawing itself appear, more or less stroke by stroke. My hope was that this would help focus the player’s attention on key story moments, and allow the character to more vividly relate what’s going on in his head. Besides, the process of seeing a drawing come together is inherently compelling; it has a built-in suspense to it. It also reiterates the process by which the hand-drawn world around the character came into being.

• At Gamasutra, Katherine Cross writes about how Fallout 4’s polyamory is just the beginning, and there’s much more for games to explore when it comes to non-monogamous relationships. I feel like, as Cross suggests, Bethesda’s support for these kinds of relationship comes from the noose of narrative being less tight in Bethesda games than BioWare’s. They support polyamory mostly only in so far as they don’t care to prevent it.
  • In its unpretentious way, Bethesda has set a new industry standard for dealing with one of the most unexplored dimensions of relationships in video games: polyamory. Simply put, Fallout 4’s romance options are not mutually exclusive. You can flirt with, sleep with, and develop relationships with multiple characters concurrently, with both companions and regular NPCs.

• I am sad this article doesn’t live up to its title: a review of Bloodborne based on 200 hours of Twitch and YouTube videos.

On my last day of watching, I saw the aggregate views my favorite streamer has accumulated to almost 6 million in a few short years. The archived videos he posts to YouTube every few days are seen by tens of thousands and the more popular ones have been viewed hundreds of thousands of times. There are so many videos there it feels like it would take another lifetime to watch them all. I have seen so many different people do roughly the same thing, dashing around Father Gascoigne, chasing after Scurrying Beasts across rooftops, dying the same deaths after trying to get off a fourth swing when there was only time for three. Things never go exactly the same but they always lead back to the same places.

• At Vice, Joe Donnelly, sometimes of this parish, went to a psychic and pretended to be Gordon Freeman.
  • MEDIUM: Yes, I can. I can tell that your work is very important to you and you place a high value on it, would you say that’s right?

Yes, definitely.

What line of work are you in?

Science. I’m a theoretical physicist.

Yes, well it’s clear to me that you’ve got plenty of opportunities at work. You might even be looking at a new job, or the chance to pursue a new one, in the not too distant future.

• Someone linked this in the comments of a recent Have You Played. Walking The Walk is a video series in which the host wanders through an open world and talks about the art design of the world; not the shaders and framerates, but how well it builds its world through sound and texture and lighting and animation. I have watched some of this episode on Watch_Dogs and enjoyed it.

The most unanimous piece of feedback was that my music taste is better than everyone else’s music taste, but I’m nothing if not magnaminous, so here’s a suggestion emailed in from a reader: Tara King th. – The Hum and the Hiss. The drumming is great. I think they are named after a character from The Avengers. What’s not to like.

A new question for you: what gaming podcasts do you listen to? I’m looking for suggestions.

1. Dorga says:

Just one Graham, but I doubt you’ll want to listen to yourself. Occasionally though I put enb’s video on a secondary tab and treat them as a podcast of sorts.

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

They support polyamory mostly only in so far as they don’t care to prevent it.

Right, so this (from the article) is complete nonsense:

Make no mistake: this is a watershed moment in mainstream gaming, and it is very much worth celebrating.

It’s totally cool that the author wanted to write an article about polyamory, but this is giving Fallout 4 way way way more credit than it deserves. And I dunno what we’re considering “mainstream gaming” (popular Western games, made in the last ten years?), but obviously there are endless games with non-exclusive romances.

• MaXimillion says:

Yeah, saying that their extremely basic romance system “set a new industry standard” just because they didn’t put any work into having different companions’ romances interact with each other is pretty disingenuous.

Futhermore, claiming that “Fallout 4 made history by permitting polyamory” the author betrays just how little they know about romance in games.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Didn’t put any work into interaction – and didn’t even put in a variable to shut down other romance options if you were involved with one. Without intending it as a criticism it seems pretty typically of Beth’s design philosophy; hundreds of little content silos spread round a huge open world only occasionally related by a short quest.

• Pantsman says:

Furthermore, maybe my memory is off, but didn’t Fable do the same thing back around 2007?

• Pantsman says:

Er, 2004. rather.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

Less actual poly, more ‘cheating on spouse’. IIRC, the second game had a quest where you had to prevent the spouses from finding out about each other, which is very much not-poly.

• Eight Rooks says:

Pretty much, and Graham is giving Katherine Cross way too much credit here, IMO. It isn’t any kind of reasoned analysis of anything – it’s “I’m in a polyamorous relationship and it’s awesome, and therefore all games which simulate romance should permit polyamory – look, I can pretty much do it in Fallout 4! Kind of! Look! Isn’t this awesome?” Not to mention it gets a bit why-I-don’t-like-Game-of-Thrones when she starts deriding other narratives with “artificial conflict” and talks about it as the “natural” outcome of the way the game works. It’s great if she and her partners can make polyamory work for them, but for someone who criticises preachiness she doesn’t half resort to wide-eyed evangelising without a hint of restraint.

• daphne says:

In discussing touchy, politically-correct matters like these, critical opinion is often perceived to be unseemly, offensive and (at worst) no less than the complete invalidation of whatever it is that’s subjected to scrutiny. Yes, it’s a hollow analysis, but you won’t hear Graham voicing that opinion. Not that he’s in his best form, himself:

“They support polyamory mostly only in so far as they don’t care to prevent it.”

Yeah, how come there isn’t any fanfare? It’s almost as if, in the absence of personalized representation, it’s considered matter-of-fact, a mundane reality of daily life, as if it no longer enjoys marginalized status.

Unthinkable. Clearly.

• anHorse says:

Nah

It’s just because fallout 4’s geared towards everything being doable on one save

• Cederic says:

Sorry but polyamory has substantial consequences. Ignoring it in-game is lazy design and results in unrealistic outcomes.

If you don’t believe me, try starting independent new relationships with two new partners at once, then introduce them to each other. Send us the video, it’ll give us a laugh.

• RobF says:

Every relationship has substantial consequences though, they’re just sort of different ones.

Bethesda hardly model any of the nuances of the more usual relationships so it seems a bit of an unfair criticism to single out polyamory especially, wherever folks might feel the article is reaching.

Phasma Felis says:

That’s not polyamory. That’s cheating and then admitting it.

• anHorse says:

@Phasma so Fallout 4 doesn’t have polyamory then

Thus making the Cross article redundant

Phasma Felis says:

Sure. I never said that I agreed with the article.

You’re still wrong about real-life polyamory.

Graham Smith says:

I don’t expect fanfare. It might be nice if the characters acknowledged relationship statuses or narrative states, though. As Rob says, same goes for any other kind of relationship. It would be real nice if liking a Bethesda character didn’t mean quickly depleting them of life like a dialogue vending machine, till they barely acknowledge you.

• kwyjibo says:

If you don’t put Fallout 4 into your article, you get no SEOs, and Santa condemns you to hell.

I think that’s how it works.

• Josh W says:

I don’t want the SEOs here as well, the “live off google” spam bots are bad enough.

• Geebs says:

If anything, it’s in some ways creepier than the average videogame romance. If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t that sort of arrangement depend on the willing participation of all of the people involved? If it’s only one person doing it, and none of the other partners is ever consulted, then it’s really just cheating.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

It does indeed, but at least in Fallout, there’s apparently some extent to which the characters are aware; while there’s none of the massive amounts of communication necessary in the real world, one character will sit and watch while you love up another without problem…

• Mario Figueiredo says:

To put it in another way, Polyamory isn’t an option in the game in any way imaginable. Not even in the way she thinks it is. What we are seeing is simply a clear display of the lack of narrative depth to Fallout 4. A consequence of bad writing. Nothing more. It’s the game drawing a blank.

Polyamory ideals, philosophy or way of life are completely absent from Fallout 4, as they are from her article. To her polyamory is to date numerous people without consequences and without any sort of explicit or implicit agreement. Which is just a weak and ignorant description. If Fallout 4 actually introduced polyamorous relationships, we would have much more obvious and richer dialog about the issue. Polyamorous relationships require mutual consent and are heavy maintenance. Contrary to what she thinks.

• melancholicthug says:

So what F4 does is actually “cheating”? Lol. I also find amusing they think general carelesness and lack of reactivity is actually design with intent.

• anHorse says:

The game flat out acknowledges it as cheating

Not as brilliantly as Sleeping Dogs did but f4 does briefly point out what you’re doing

• PancakeWizard says:

Didn’t FO3 do Polyamory in a mostly negative light with Dukov’s Place?

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

It’s about having cumulative effects from wearing several suits of armor at the same time, right?

• ooshp says:

That’s correct. No idea why everyone seems to be going on about relationships.

• anHorse says:

Fallout 4 isn’t polyamorous in the least, there’s just no true negative consequences.

Multiple romance companions get upset and give you the “dislike” notification if you flirt with someone else when they’re near i.e. Magnolia in the third rail or another companion standing next to them at a settlement.

I hate to say it but I get the impression that the people who have praised the game for this (Sterling, Cross) just missed out on the minor mechanic that doesn’t support their thesis.

P.S. IMO everyone being polyamorous is crap writing, unless you’ve specifically made a setting for it. Doing something like that weakens the characters of the game and turns the romance into a gotta bang em all fest that is even cheaper than Bioware’s love as a reward stuff

• Baines says:

When someone replied to Sterling’s article that it was more likely just lazy design, Sterling admitted that the person might be right. It didn’t seem to change how he felt about the options being available, but he at least didn’t deny the possibility that he was wrong about the “why”.

• Chillicothe says:

Yeah, I had a good non-condemnatory chuckle over these myself.

The fact it has appeared in many multiple games with romance options for decades already with the same lack of specificiality paints the emancipation angle a bit silly and apropos of not all that much seeing as it wasn’t under a puritanical ban before and F4 didn’t do anything to free it with how it was done if that were the case.

• Baines says:

I guess it is due to how structured romance options have become that anything that isn’t “one man one woman” is seen as non-standard. Then you add in the moral outrage and “controversy” stirred (and the PR-driven intentional controversy baiting) when you deviate from “one man one woman”…

• malkav11 says:

Persona 3, for example. Among plenty of others. But it’s also silly to suggest that simply not really addressing the fact that you’re in a relationship with multiple characters constitutes support for polyamory, and that’s generally all that’s going on in these games – they haven’t bothered to program in consequences. I am happy for people who’ve managed to make polyamory work in the real world but it’s something you explicitly have to acknowledge and discuss with everyone involved, and I can’t think of a videogame (certainly not a mainstream videogame) where that’s an option. If someone has played one that does, I’d love to hear about it, because I think that would likely be far more interesting than Fallout 4’s agnostic approach.

• Sam says:

I’m just glad that Fallout 4 is finally giving representation to those of us that are only romantically attracted to people after observing them pick several dozen locks.

• brgillespie says:

Indeed. It’s liberating to finally play a game where my friends (or one of them, at least) approve of my propensity to cannibalizing human corpses I come across.

• AngusPrune says:

Why are Fallout 4’s “relationships” being celebrated at all, in any capacity? They’re just a pale imitation of what Bethesda saw in Fallout New Vegas, which in itself is an idea with a lineage traceable back to Planescape: Torment.

Surely New Vegas’ implementation of platonic friendships growing closer as you travel together is infinitely more worth celebrating than Bethesda’s “grind a relationship stat until you get rewarded with sex” system? Certain online pundits have such an obsession with sex, and more specifically with modes of having sex outside the plain vanilla, that they’ll completely overlook the actual quality of the game to write about it. Or even, as in this case, just outright fabricate something that isn’t really there to begin with.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

Eh, I’d argue that even accidentally including features still sets a certain awareness and expectation of that feature. If nothing else, it’s got a lot of people discussing poly and coming forward as being poly, which is nice.

3. crowleyhammer says:

Three moves ahead and idle thumbs.

4. Csirke says:

Gaming podcasts? Other than the C&C, which I think you might know, I listen to the Diecast on Shamus Young’s website:

link to shamusyoung.com

It’s nothing very special, I just like the people on it. Shamus is an old-school programmer, so his technical observations can be quite interesting. And they like to analyze the writing in games, calling my attention to stuff I wouldn’t notice myself.

Andy_Panthro says:

Another recommend here for Shamus Young & co.’s Diecast. (and his site in general)

• hprice says:

The only gaming podcast I listen to now is The PC Invasion podcast (latterly the INCGamers podcast). The guys on there swear like troopers but are not smug middle class smegheads who sit around with their cliquey friends drinking malt whiskey in a pretentious fashion. They also don’t hold back on what games suck big time. They also feature lesser known games (have a liking for Japanese stuff which I don’t get, myself), and they have cats, and Tim is afraid of spiders which is brilliant. Best podcast out there in my estimation … and remember, reader, I am ALWAYS right!

5. Eight Rooks says:

That Guardian article on AC: Syndicate – Kotaku did much the same thing a couple of months back, and while the historian they talked to was kinder to the game – possibly because he’s an avid videogame player who does a podcast about history in videogames – he still hit on many of the same points. He added a few more, though, so it’s well worth a read. Still enjoying Syndicate, but it is a little too picture-postcard/romanticised/sanitised for its own good at times.

(While I applaud a great deal of what Anita Sarkeesian does and agree with her that AC in particular hasn’t done at all well with female representation, I wonder how she’d have responded had Ubisoft actually tried to acknowledge that prostitution (and women’s issues in general) was a very significant part of the social fabric in Victorian London?)

• Distec says:

She would have hated it (or at least pretend to).

• IaIaFhtagn says:

I think it would depend on how it was done; I think there’s a great deal of difference between presenting it as something that happened and exploring the issues behind it and going ‘Look! Hookers! We get to show tits!’

• pepperfez says:

And given that the first expansion is about Jack the Ripper, I suspect we’ll get all the “acknowledgment” of prostitution we can stomach and more.

• Eight Rooks says:

Late reply, but yes, 1) again, I freely concede Ubi’s general handling of it has been “Look, tits!” and 2) oh, God, my expectations for the Jack the Ripper pack are pretty close to rock bottom. (Though I preferred From Hell the film to the book, so my expectations are probably a bit different to other people.)

• Zenicetus says:

I saw a scene last night in AC Syndicate that looked like at least a partial acknowledgement of prostitution.

It was one of the Dickens missions at night, near a bar. Two well-dressed ladies were leaning against a wall, and engaging in bantering conversation with a well-dressed man, who kept trying to pull away and they pulled him back by the hand.

There was nothing overt in the conversation, so you could read it a couple of different ways. The ladies weren’t dressed the way you’d expect for the profession either… too upscale. But it sure looked like the start of a transaction where the guy just wasn’t sure he wanted to go through with it. Very sugar-coated, if that’s what it was, but at least it was in the game.

6. Borodin says:

“in the traditional format because that’s what you asked for.” It’s great that RPS can be democratic at times

I’m still lamenting the kicking of Cassandra’s Bargain Bucket without reference to the audience and without even confirming that it had gone

Phasma Felis says:

Are you actually saying that you think editorial decisions ought to be made by popular vote?

• Josh W says:

Can’t speak for him, but it would be nice if they could keep everything running that people really like. It’s almost the opposite of majority voting in a way, keeping things that a devoted few like.

7. Stellar Duck says:

I find there are only three gaming related podcasts I care to listen to:

Three Moves Ahead (especially when Bruce Gerryk is on)

Idle Thumbs (and maybe the new one if I ever get round to listening to it. I miss Danielle though)

And finally the Crate and Crowbar.

All others I find are largely either shite and filled with people who take games seriously. Bah.

• GameCat says:

The Top Score podcast is worth listening to as host is always talking with game music composers about their work.

link to classicalmpr.org

• draglikepull says:

I’m not familiar with Crate & Crowbar, but 3MA and Idle Thumbs are both good.

• malkav11 says:

If you enjoy RPS, and I assume you do because you’re posting here, you should check out the Crate and Crowbar. Marsh Davies and Graham are both regulars and they sometimes get Pip on as well. The rest of the regulars are either current or former PC Gamer UK folks, I believe – Chris Thursten, Tom Senior, Tom Francis, I think another Chris whose last name I am blanking on, etc.

• anHorse says:

I can only remember Marsh and Graham from C&C, everyone else’s voice just gets registered by my head as “probably a chris or tom”, that said I think there is only one Chris.

It’s good though and I can’t stand any other videogames podcast

• CannedLizard says:

I can recognise all of the regulars except for Tom Senior and Marsh Davies. I actually referenced this in an email to them, and they responded by facetiously responding in their own voices with each other’s names. Anyway, I’m almost at working out who’s who between Marsh and Tom S!

• BlackestTea says:

Generally, a lot from the IdleThumbs network (IdleThumbs itself, IdleWeekend, Three Moves Ahead, Terminal7, Designer Notes, Esports Today). They all tend to be either very high quality content or very entertaining.

Also the Game Design Round Table tend to have some great insight (I especially recommend the epsiode on collaboration, not just for game design but general insight on working with others).

More specifically, some Dark Souls stuff (Bonfireside Chat, Epic Name Bro’s stuff).

Once in a while Daft Souls, though humour and views are a bit hit-or-miss for me, personally (despite loving most of the other Cool Ghosts content).

8. frenz0rz says:

I listen almost exclusively to Three Moves Ahead and Crate & Crowbar. I’ve tried plenty of other gaming podcasts in my time, but those are pretty much the only two that’ve had me regularly coming back for more.

Loved that Joe Donnelly piece by the way. Half Life 3 confirmed to be a free-to-play squad based shooter set in Xen! With romance!

9. Turkey says:

I used to listen to gaming podcasts, but I found out that I only really liked the preamble parts before they actually talk about games, so now I only listen to comedy podcasts.

10. MrLosWhite says:

If you speak French zqsd.fr is a blast. I miss the joystiq podcast like hell. I listen to pcgamer but one of the editor irritates the hell out of me (speak to much to say not really interesting stuff) Still looking for good podcast. I tried cool ghosts which was funny but went really off topic/ too crazy.

11. malkav11 says:

I listen to a number of videogames podcasts, although it’s probably a similar list to most folks:
    The Crate and Crowbar (obv.)
    Daft Souls (albeit largely because I’ve been a fan of Shut Up and Sit Down, not because I was familiar with Matt’s videogame work or have yet visited Cool Ghosts)
    Idle Thumbs and now Designer Notes, Idle Weekend, etc
    The Giant Bombcast and Giant Beastcast (long, but I dig their senses of humor and banter and the stories they tell, plus they’re the only ones I listen to that are regularly and consistently playing new games and cover console gaming – C&C does new games but PC only. Granted, I don’t own modern consoles, so that’s more of a vicarious thing than useful info to me, but hey.)
    When it comes out, which hasn’t been very regular lately, the QT3 Games Podcast.

I fully intend to listen to more Three Moves Ahead but I don’t find myself playing strategy games lately and I have a dogged insistence on listening from the beginning so I am years behind.

I also think I’m going to start listening to Video Games Hot Dog because I find the Asymmetric guys hugely entertaining on the Kingdom of Loathing Podcast (which I listen to because I play Kingdom of Loathing, but probably isn’t going to make a huge amount of sense to anyone who doesn’t).

• KenTWOu says:

A bit offtopic but Qt3 Movie Podcast is also very good.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I listen to that one when I have seen the movie in question. Unfortunately, they’re in LA (which is obviously one of the widest-ranging movie markets in America) and seeing movies in the theater, whereas I am in a smaller city and almost never get out to the theater anymore. So mostly I end up going back to them months or years later when it comes out on disc or Netflix.

Actually, I like it better (and more consistently) than the Games Podcast. But it’s not a gaming podcast, so. :)

12. Zenicetus says:

That Guardian article about the “child liberation” missions in Syndicate makes a good point. You’re basically impoverishing their families with each tyke that runs off.

However, I think it misses the way it ties into the way you gradually take over gang territory in the game. You only shut down one factory in each borough (as one condition of taking it over). Just the worst, most abusive one, as a warning to other factory owners. It can be seen as Jacob and Evie accepting the need for child labor as a part of their industrial society and the economic reality of the underclass. But there is a limit to how much abuse they’ll tolerate.

Maybe that’s reading too much into a game that’s very silly in other respects (the whole Assassin/Templar backstory), but that’s how I’m rationalizing it anyway.

• BatmanBaggins says:

The series has gone out of its way to show that the Assassins aren’t always right, and are quite capable of making mistakes. Perhaps this is one of those instances where they think they’re doing the right thing, without fully understanding all of the consequences. AC Syndicate does after all return to a more fully bought-in perspective on their Creed from the main characters than a few of the recent previous entries.

13. RagingLion says:

Yes, the links to The Guardian and Eurogamer etc are much appreciated – I only go to RPS and occasionally Polygon and Giantbomb for gaming stuff.

In terms of gaming podcasts it’s Idle Thumbs, Daft Souls and occasionally the Giant Bombcast.

14. Hypocee says:

Idle Thumbs and The Crate and Crowbar are the only gaming podcasts I listen to every ep within a couple days of release. I dip into Daft Souls sometimes, and Roguelike Radio when it’s on a person or topic I’m interested in (it’s consistently good then, I should probably just go whole hog). I tend to catch up on Terminal 7 a couple times a year. Tone Control and Designer Notes aren’t on a schedule and are really more game development, but I think that still qualifies. They’re good, untraditional interviews.

Finally, outside videogames, the Fandible tabletop podcast is good. They occasionally remark themselves that they’ve slipped into improv again, but I’m so not complaining. I first listened when they played the beta of the Atomic Robo RPG, a FATE adaptation whose elegance and fit I appreciate of a comic I love. They’ve since returned to it three times; the finale to Primeval Chaos, with Thomas and Leo Elwood, had me weeping with laughter. That alone wouldn’t be worth eight hours of drudgery, but every episode was consistently interesting and had several good laughs of its own. I’ve explored a few other series they’ve done – Fiasco and 99 Problems Warhammer off the top of my head – and they were great as well. Maybe pick a system you’re interested in to start with.

15. Geebs says:

Thanks for the developer article Graham, that was a good read and a very inventive approach to solving an unusual problem.

16. JamesPatton says:

Re: gaming podcasts, my friend and I have a monthly podcast!

link to twentydollargaming.com

We spend $20 each month on interesting, thought-provoking games then talk about them. We’re trying to both highlight why we enjoy these games but also bring a light critical touch to them. Thus far we’ve covered Sunset, Advertcity, The Beginner’s Guide and Her Story, Westerado and this month we’re playing the brilliant horror games of Kitty Horrorshow. :)

[/endplug]

Ninja Dodo says:

As many have noted, Idle Thumbs (link to idlethumbs.net) and its various sister-casts (Tone Control, Designer Notes, Three Moves Ahead and now Idle Weekend) are great for game-related castings.

18. IaIaFhtagn says:

Serious discussions of history in video games and discussions of poly? I approve.

19. Scrape Wander says:

Gamecasts! Here are a few with what’s great about them:

Vidjagame Apocalypse: a favorite of mine, as a holdover from its roots in TalkRadar. Very loose, some very well-informed guests and hosts, enjoyable chaos.

Idle Thumbs: Although I think they climb too deeply up their asses at times, including long dull overly detailed soliloquies on mobile games as if they are describing an octopus to a blind person. Mostly funny and insightful, though. I just don’t get the obsession with mobile games.

Daft Souls: Usually terrific. Unlike Thumbs, I genuinely enjoy Lees’ long diatribes on specific game mechanics. Tends to have incredibly funny guest hosts.

One Life Left: Probably the best produced, silliest, and most enjoyable gaming hour I listen to every week. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Cane & Rinse: Deep dives into every game worth playing. One of my favorites.

Retronauts: These kids have forgotten more about gaming than I will ever learn in a lifetime.

Bonfireside Chat: Souls fans don’t need to be reminded that this exists. I don’t like that they seem to have climbed aboard the Redgrave hate-train, it’s weird to me. I’ve been listening to this since the very start, and it’s part of the reason why I returned to Dark Souls for another playthrough.

A Life Well Wasted: Very little of this to listen to, but what’s there are some of the best gaming podcasts ever recorded.

20. Josh W says:

Loved Gorogoa, been mostly avoiding it because of spoilers, nice to see it’s coming along though.

I came up with an idea for how to fix the problem he’s facing, but it’s ludicrously complicated relative to what he wants:

The idea is that he just prints out and traces the image on whatever drawing pad he normally uses, then uses that real time vector information to create an animation, with some tweaks in order to make it seem slower and more deliberate in places, by stretching the speed of his own movements, and adding a bit of noise to that speed value as well. That way he’s not trying to generate human movements, but just adjusting his real human movements to seem more spontaneous or thoughtful or whatever.

The problem with this is that although it seems simple, he’d probably need to work out how to record the inputs, store the data etc. and he’d actually need to almost draw it twice, probably more times when testing it out!

pertusaria says:

Thanks for the Football Manager article – I enjoyed that.

Re. gaming podcasts, I mostly listen to Retronauts and am giving Cool Ghosts a go.