Unholy Heck! Devil Daggers Sounds Amazing

Hot dang, Devil Daggers [official site] is one of the best-sounding games I’ve heard in yonks! The circle-strafing, leaderboard-climbing FPS is a heck of a looker, sure, with creatures of tentacle and bone and unfiltered texture rearing out the darkness, but good grief you need to hear this too. Distorted abstract roars and screams and groans and gunshots all come together in a wonderful/terrible soundscape of ultraviolence. Slip on your headphones or turn up your speakers and tape your jaw shut for this:

Oh! Isn’t that great? Also, the circle-strafing and rocket-jumping and monster-shooting are great too. It looks great. That’s all the nuance you’re getting out of me.

I do really like its style of unfiltered textures, jaggedy 3D models, and the jitteriness of vertex animation, combined with designs way too intricate (and unsettling!) for the era it’s drawing inspiration from. The devs say, “[. . .] our general aesthetic guide for the engine and art was ’90s fever-dream’ which gives us liberties to make the game look as you remember or imagined games to look like, not actually how they looked!”

Devil Daggers is being made by one member of Dustforce devs Team Hitbox together with some chums. It’s a score-chasing FPS with leaderboards to battle over, which I’m up for – it looks hectic as all heck. Neatly, it’ll let you watch other players’ replays from the leaderboards to see how it’s done.

“Coming soon to Steam” is all the devs have to say about when it’ll come out. Do check out its site for looks at more of the wonderful/terrible monsters. Watch this skelesnake dying! Those lurking spiders! Whatever the hell these squidmonoliths are!

I’ve thought of Brutal Doom as the fever dream of a young murderfan, but Devil Daggers is much more like what went through my head. For a non-violent alternative fever dream to tide you over, you might find Doomdream interesting too.

1. Kitsunin says:

Well, this is pretty much my tweenage self’s technofear incarnate.

2. jeeger says:

Looks like a Lo-Fi Ziggurat, could be fun!

3. Niko says:

Looks amazing! I only hope they have a good level designer.

• oWn4g3 says:

From everything I have seen so far it looks like an arena style shooter, the whole focus on leaderboards and stuff makes it even more probable. I hope in the end there will be some variety or at least different arenas to choose from.

• Niko says:

That’s a bit disheartening, because I can see how powerful the game could be with nightmarish architecture.

• Geebs says:

I think it was called “Quake”?

I agree with you though; it’s not that you rocket jump, it’s where you rocket jump to

• Zilpe says:

What really made quake so repayable for me was how the geometry influenced the encounters. The interaction between each of different enemy behaviors and the complicated landscape meant you always had to think on your feet. The answer wasn’t always “strafe around them.” Trying to break line of sight, or rocket jumping to high ground, or attempting to funnel enemies through chokepoints. The aesthetic they’ve captured is amazing but I fear the gameplay will become repetitive without this dynamic.

• vivlo says:

i think it would look great if it happened inside a minecraft nether

4. John O says:

This looks a whole lot better than the Doom remake

5. wcq says:

It DOES look and sound amazing, and I’ve been keeping an eye on it for a while. I’ll probably get it once it’s out, but…

I can’t help but feel disappointed if it’s nothing more than arenablast. High scores have always been meaningless numbers to me.

6. KillahMate says:

The art direction / monster design is superb, and so is the audio. And I love the pixellated yet high-poly aesthetic. Would be a shame if it contained itself to just arena shooting, some nice levels to contain the horror would go far in making me buy this.

7. Faults says:

For anybody interested, the sound designer for Devil Daggers also has a rather wonderful industrial-electronic music project on the go called Vprojekt. If you dig the soundscapes in Devil Daggers,his stuff is well worth checking out!

link to dwa-digital.com

8. ribby says:

I love the way that weird centipede thingy died. And the sound is indeed lovely. It’d be better though if there was more of a way of telling wha is making each particular noise

9. Shazbut says:

You posted about this before I think, but indeed, it looks like quite the thing

10. EhexT says:

It looks like another “old school” FPS that misses what made Doom great. It’s level design, weapon variety and movement together – not just movement. It looks like Ziggurat but even worse weapons and even worse levels (and you’d think random square rooms couldn’t be topped).

• Alice O'Connor says:

I don’t think it’s trying to be like Doom. Or any “old school” FPS.

• EhexT says:

It sure looks like they are though – it’s basically a lo-fi Serious Sam arena with a shotgun and machine gun. Classic FPS hyperfast movement, classic FPS enemy mechanics.

It has great sound design and great visual design, but the gameplay looks incredibly shallow.

• Eukatheude says:

Exactly. I’d be all over this if it had, you know, actual levels. Here’s hoping they at least put some arenas/maps in.

particlese says:

I really want to play this now anyway, but…room scale VR?