Our 100% Accurate Predictions About The Next Batch Of Licensed Telltale Games

Telltale’s resume has grown enormously over the last few years, spurred on by the success of their Walking Dead franchise. They’ve always had a number of franchises on their run at any time, from the mediocre Sam & Max to their truly dreadful Law & Order games, before finding some comedic feet with Strong Bad. But those were the olden days when their games were cartoonish point and click adventures. Now they are choose-your-own adventures with SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES. Currently we concurrently have The Wolf Among Us, Tales From The Borderlands, Game Of Thrones, Minecraft: Story Mode, and The Walking Dead. Recently they announced they’re adding Batman and a Marvel title. But I’ve uncovered even more, exclusively revealed below.

Downton Abbey

As the television series draws to a close, Telltale plans to expand on the run, bringing the lives of the Crawley family and their servants into the 1930s. Following the themes of Fellowes’ programme, the five-part episodic run will explore how the major events of the time affect the family members and their relationship with their staff. Will you make the decision to allow your butler to take advantage of Col. Jacob Schick’s electric razor? Who will find love when Amelia Earhart flies by to visit? Can you prevent injury as the family treats the servants to a lovely afternoon on the recently invented trampoline? And how will lunch go with that nice Mr Hitler? Goebbels will remember that!

Peanuts

In the wake of the forthcoming film, interest is expected to be renewed in Schultz’s comic creations, and Telltale are hoping to catch some of that with a new five-part episodic series of adventures. Giving the series the classic Telltale spin, we find Charlie Brown in the depths of his depression, turning to heroin for a way out. Supplied by Lucy, he finds himself caught up in an elaborate crime syndicate and attempts to uncover who is at the top – could it be a certain yellow bird? Meanwhile, Snoopy in his guise as the Red Baron is charged with war crimes, while Pig-Pen contracts trenchfoot and loses a leg.

Supergirl

In spin-off stories running in parallel with the new CBS show, Telltale aims to bring you even closer to the inaction. Pushing the boundaries of superhero fiction, much like its television counterpart, the five-part episodic series will seek out new and contrived ways to remove Kara’s powers to ensure most of her time is spent standing around and complaining. Big name enemies familiar from the comic book world will wander through in the background while the series cast voices office-based discussions about how difficult it is to be rich, white and beautiful in modern-day America.

Talking Dead

AMC’s The Walking Dead discussion programme has been picked up by Telltale to expand on their successful zombie franchise. Playing as Chris Hardwick, you choose conversation options with special guests Paget Brewster and Josh Gad, as you sycophantically pore over a previous episode of Telltale’s The Walking Dead, in a way that sort of implies you might actually think the games are real.

This article was originally published as part of, and thanks to, the RPS Supporter Program.

johannsebastianbach says:

Say: “My name is Charlie Brown”.
    Prompt: Snoopy won’t remember that.

Grizzly says:

No Yes Minister?

Skabooga says:

I almost did not read the article because Telltale is not my cup of tea. But the “exclusive” label seemed odd, just not something RPS bothers with (thankfully). I’m so glad curiosity won out.

• ribby says:

If the reason for that is because it tries to make you think your choices are more significant than they are then you might like Tales from the Borderlands. It solves the problem by saying ‘screw it, we can’t make choices change the overall story much so let’s not try to, let’s just make this as entertaining as we can.’ There are a couple of choices that it wants you to think will have major effects (usually made at the end of an episode) but for the most part it’s ‘what do I think will be funniest?’

If the reason for that is because you don’t like games that don’t have a whole lot of gameplay to them then I got nothin’ :P

Skabooga says:

Hmm, that does sound closer to my liking. I’ll keep an eye out for it, see if any of my friends have it that I might be able to sneak a brief play of it.

• funkstar says:

Also, skipping the credits in tales from the borderlands results in a ‘Telltale will remember that’ :D

4. BannerThief says:

Can’t wait until Telltale’s Blood Meridian game, where your moral choice is between ‘shoot the puppies’ and ‘shoot the puppies and then be sad about having shot them.’

• technoir says:

More like ‘shoot the puppies’ or ‘shoot the puppies, then deliver a blasphemous speech on how shooting puppies makes you the ├╝bermensch’

• GameCat says:

No, you’re wrong, the choices would be:

Shoot the puppies.
      Drown the puppies.
      Feed the puppies to a dog.
      Leave puppies alone so they will starve to death and be eaten by vultures.

The Road: The Telltale Game would be interesting too.

• GameCat says:

No Country for Old Men:

“Your haircut is a mess, dude.”
        *Anton will remember that.*

5. islipaway says:

I’d love it if they did FireFly. Rather than that pointless MMO telltale could do something that fits the IP (if they have to keep making these based on existing IPs). I’ve not really played any of the newer ones, are they still reliant on the ‘heavy moral choice’ thing? I don’t see how that would fit into Borderlands or Minecraft so I’m assuming they are a bit more diverse in mechanics than they where with TWD and TWAU?

• dontnormally says:

Fuck yes, please. It’d be perfect for the setting.

Star Trek too. (no star wars)

• All is Well says:

I’ve never thought about that but Star Trek really fits the Telltale formula perfectly. Lots of talking (primarily among a small main cast) interspersed with short action sequences, confinement to enclosed locations is perfectly natural and fitting, there’s an extensive and detailed canon with lots of periphery where the game could take place, etc. Even the sort of rigid Telltale gameplay where everyone seems like an actor on a stage illustrating an action rather than actually performing fits neatly, since that’s exactly how Star Trek is a lot of the time. Damn, now I really want this.

• islipaway says:

Oh yes! Star Trek is perfect.

• Lanfranc says:

The mechanics are still pretty much the same, and there still are some moral choices, but Tales From Borderlands is mostly along the lines of “How do you want this next situation to go hilariously wrong?”

(Game of Thrones, meanwhile, is “How do you want this next situaiton to go awfully, depressingly wrong?”)

6. Kefren says:

They’re going to make the “In the next episode!” unskippable spoilers even longer, so that you don’t need to play the next episode, just the one after that. Then they only need to make half the games.

7. Disgruntled Goat says:

Of the Telltale games I’ve played, The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were both terrific.

Game of Thrones started out OK but quickly descended into a tire fire I couldn’t even finish.

8. Rizlar says:

That Talking Dead photo is amazing.

Also really need to renew my supporter sub…

9. Imbecile says:

I’ve liked the walking dead, wolf among us and borderlands. Other possible settings, that aren’t too set in stone.

Doctor who?
    Shadowfist/feng shui?
    Archer
    Batman, investigation and punchings
    Peppa pig

• -funkstar- says:

Archer, though I’m smiling at the mere idea, would probably not work well: the comedic timing of the show is incredibly tight.

10. crazyd says:

I want them to do an Evil Dead game. They already have an Ash model from Poker Night 2. Just… get Bruce Campbell to do the voice this time, guys. The model from the new show would work out great episodically.

11. Sarkhan Lol says:

Coming up next: The player makes a number of seemingly critical decisions only to discover that they don’t matter.

12. Monggerel says:

Personally, I’m waiting for the inevitable webcomic and Youtube channel adaptations.

“Gabe&Tycho in: Here Lies the Abyss”
    “Mr Sark’s Friday Fuckfest Fiesta”
    “64-bit Theatre”
    “Cuftbert at the Mountains of the Cannibal God”

• ribby says:

I would lap up a Romantically Apocalyptic TellTale game. It wouldn’t work though because they wouldn’t be able to pull off the beautiful art style.

More people should be reading RA.

13. Konservenknilch says:

Oh just gimme Sam&Max 4 and Tales of MI 2 already. I did like The Walking Dead, but I really wish they would get back to comedy games. We have enough grimdark already.

And replying to Imbecile, Doctor Who, especially with I-don’t-give-a-fuck Capaldi would be amazing.

• Konservenknilch says:

And yes, I know of the Borderlands games, just not into the franchise.

• ribby says:

Does that really matter though? I’d never played any Borderlands games but that didn’t hamper my enjoyment one bit. From what I’ve heard of the game it doesn’t tell the story the same way the franchise did and isn’t done in the style of the franchise.

• Konservenknilch says:

I’ll probably try, just not got a suitable machine right now. But overall, the Telltale from today is far more into drama then the Telltale from the S&M (heh, chuckle) period.

• KevinLew says:

The problem is that games that use a “classic” adventure format tend to appeal to only extremely niche audiences. There’s still games that do it, but only diehard adventure gamers play them.

• Konservenknilch says:

Yeah, the huge success of TWD certainly changed them for good. “People actually buy our games? Holy shit!”

14. TillEulenspiegel says:

Surprised they haven’t announced a Star Wars game yet. Seeing all the awful merchandise around lately, a license must only cost around $5.

• Konservenknilch says:

Well, LucasArts/Disney have already been obnoxious about the MI license, so I wouldn’t expect too much in the SW direction.

15. maweki says:

I want a Star Trek game from you with moral choices about the prime directive and stuff.

• DevilishEggs says:

I’m faint with desire

• Talahar says:

I’d already be happy with any Scifi at all… Star Trek, Star Wars, Star Gate, even better.
      But so far Science Fiction wasn’t an option, but I really wish it was.

16. Railway Rifle says:

The Telltale spinoff of Fallout 4, bridging the gap between “Piper liked that” and “Piper will remember that.”

17. Turkey says:

Too bad they got too big for comics way too fast. There’s a lot more material to mine from them.

18. Risingson says:

“Mediocre Sam&Max”

John, please. It’s only Tuesday.

• phlebas says:

The first two ‘seasons’ were fun but not amazing, and better received for being relatively old-school adventure games at a time when the genre was poorly served by the market. They wouldn’t go down so well now, though they still did the basics better than many. There were some stand-out episodes, but I think we can allow ‘mediocre’ overall.

The third changed the style and look for the better, sharpened the writing and was a lot more imaginative – that’s the one even John shouldn’t call mediocre (but I’m not sure he is, since it came after Strong Bad).

• Risingson says:

You know, I am very, VERY into adventure games, and when I finally played the first season of Sam&Max I basically screamed out loud “AT LAST!”. It was the first time in many years that an adventure game felt fluid, that the writing was informative enough without being expository, that the puzzles were balanced, that all was a cohesive thing full of jokes that I still find pretty brilliant (even the mafia episode had a brilliant ending).

What is funny is that the Strong Bad games are very similar. They are a bit more in the caothic side, and actually I think that the fourth and fifth episode are weak, but in the first three they actually manage to have that surrealist tone, social satire (what they did with the third episode and music festivals is spot on, wonderful) and “whatever” feeling I love so much.

But anyway, I agree, the third season of Sam&Max is the better one. The third season of Sam&Max has been the best adventure of the last 15 years, after all.

19. LennyLeonardo says:

Buffy. Or Bake Off. Maybe a mash-up of the two.

20. Rhodokasaurus says:

Say what you want about Telltale games, they’re far from perfect but they’re the only company who tries to write a good story. Most everybody else doesn’t even bother and if I see one more meta indie “What it’s like to make games” game I’m going to shit on a hippo’s dick.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The hippo will remember that and so will the Animal Rights movement, after I tip them off (don’t think I wont!).

21. Nereus says:

I want an arrested development telltale game.

Illusions, Michael! A trick is something a whore does for money.
    *Gob will remember that*

I gave him a roofie, a girl’s got to grow up sometime.
    *Steve Holt won’t remember that*

22. AngusPrune says:

I want ‘Allo ‘Allo.

“Yes, we were both a couple of Nancy boys.”
    * Lieutenant Gruber will remember that.

23. cpt_freakout says:

What the hell are you all talking about? The next TT game should be based on DOOM – imagine that, finally talking to the monsters!!
    CYBERDEMON: RAH RUH GRRR
    DOOM MARINE: You… you… dated my… mother??
    Cyberdemon remembers that.

24. Ashraven says:

“This game adapts to the choices you make!”

By giving you slightly different dialog responses in subsequent episodes. You can’t radically alter the story or flow of a Telltale game because all the choices essentially lead to the same outcome/finale.

At their most dramatic (and they reuse this element in EVERY game), they’ll give you a scenario where two blandy McBland side characters are in danger and you have to choose which one to save.

25. Robert Post's Child says:

A soap opera type deal would actually work, though. Something where people make absurd decisions and the audience always ends up yelling at the tv, and then it gets totally upended by the next episode.

26. krushdbug says:

I wish that Downton Abbey game was real. At 65, my mom would finally start playing video games.

27. DailyFrankPeter says:

How about hiring Telltale, who are writing-inclined and like to use other peoples engines, to make missions for the likes of Star Citizen? This way SC doesn’t look dry and empty, and Telltale is happy.