Turok Remastered To Look Like Turok, Out Thurs

It’s a good job they’re not actually calling this Turok Remastered, because, er, well, it isn’t, is it? I don’t know how high your expectations were for Night Dive’s spit’n’polished version of the none-more-90s dino-shooting FPS were, but if they were somewhere in the region of “pretty much the same but a bit less blocky” then you won’t be unhappy. Anyone holding out for ultro-shiny normal mapped cyber-dinos will be glum, however.

All of sudden, it’s out on Thursday, and you can see what it looks like below.

Are you ready to be BLOWN AWAY by the RADNESS? Can you HANDLE the MAYHEM? Hold TIGHT for the OUT OF THIS WORLD graphics!

Well, that’s Turok alright. Night Dive- perhaps best known for recently detangling System Shock 2 rights and getting on with their own remake of the first in that series – have told Eurogamer that this is a ‘restoration’ of Turok’s long-off-sale PC version, not a port of the N64 edition.

While what we see above looks very much as though it fell off the nearest PlayStation One, in fact the geriatric thunder lizard-botherer has been augmented with HD and widescreen support, anti-aliasing, dynamic lighting, bloom, FXAA, enhanced water effects, lights shafts and verticaly sync, plus key rebinding options. Clearly, there’s only so much you can do to something quite this aged if you’re not going to go redo the graphics from scratch, though.

I’ll never say no to a cyber-dino, but it’s hard not to feel this is perhaps a nostalgic lurch too far. Then again, Night Dive are on about eventually making a new Turok of their own – in addition to restoring Turok 2 – so I guess this is as much about getting ducks in a row and the name back out there as anything else.

Turok will be out on GOG, Humble, and Steam – complete with cheevos – this Thursday, 17th December. Which makes that particular day quite a day for sci-fi nostalgia, eh?

1. JarinArenos says:

Honestly, there’s a ton of old and beloved games that I would like to see re-releases like this. All I’m asking is a touch of polish – not even that much! – and someone to fix them to actually run on modern computers. I’ve lost so many old games that fall into the black hole between DOSBox and Windows 7.
    … okay, some of them desperately need control system overhauls too. We didn’t know any better!

Cooper says:

Precisely. DOSBox has done wonders for old games but there’s still about six years or so of games that are lost without straight-up recreations.

DungeonKeeperFX is a great example of simply wrapping old games to make them manageable at current resolutions and on current platforms.

For example, I went and got a copy of Hidden Evil from eBay after RPS posted a ‘Have You Played’, only to find that it simply does not work on modern machines (no amount of compatability options do anything), the only solution being running a virtual machine running win95, which is far from as easy as DOSBox makes a virtual DOS environment…

• Vagrant says:

I’m pretty sure MechWarrior 3, of all things, still doesn’t have a way to run smoothly on modern windows.

• JarinArenos says:

Yeah, I put hours of effort into trying to make Mechwarrior 3 work, without success. I think I finally got Mercenaries running, but I always much preferred MW3 to MW3M.

• Distec says:

And you have no idea how much this saddened me after faffing about with a MW3 installation on Win10 for a weekend.

• haradaya says:

Out of all of my favorite childhood games, MW3 is the only one I’ve just not been able to get working since. At this point I’ve got a second “retro” computer almost ready to be setup just for the purpose of MW3. But I dread spending a weekend fiddling with Win98 and drivers that may or may not exist.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

According to a bug report on WineHQ (useful if you’re running Linux) the game works when using gGlide; that might help on Windows as well.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’ve managed to get a lot of post-DOS games working perfectly fine with Wine in Ubuntu (more precisely, with the Wine front-end PlayOnLinux).
      In a few cases there’s a mess of figuring out missing dependencies and a chance for nasty glitches (or missing music in the case of some CD-games), but every experiment can be installed to a new virtual drive (there’s also an import/export feature available) to not risk the stuff you already got working.

Most games I’ve tried has had no issues, just by picking the latest Wine version and the correct DirectX package.
      There’s also a lot of installer wizards with PlayOnLinux, just pick a game on the list, insert disk and follow the instructions and all technical stuff, patching and dependencies are picked for you with automagic.

It’s pretty weird to have Linux as the saviour of my retro PC games collection in 2015.

2. Schledorn says:

I can’t find a price anywhere on the internet. That’s not a good sign. Are they going to charge $15 for this? Still, Star Wars doesn’t come out in the States until the 18th so I’ll have some free time to play it.

3. Havalynii says:

I’m fine with this. I’d love their next projects to be Turok: Rage Wars and Shadows of the Empire. Classics that just need to be ported to run on modern systems with configurable controls, imho.

4. dethtoll says:

I’m pretty sure this is the end result of a project that Kaiser of the Doom community announced on the Doom64EX news blog ages ago. Glad to see something’s come of it.

5. DrollRemark says:

I can’t tell if they’ve updated the ridiculous fog range or not. Some shots it seemed to be as close as I remember it being on the N64.

That should surely be the priority for any update. The view distance in the original was atrocious.

• ansionnach says:

Looks to me like they’ve increased the view distance – in the original you could barely see twenty feet away.

• Jetsetlemming says:

Oh that’s far less fog than I remember from the N64 version I played as a kid, where the fog was thicker than Silent Hill’s. I wonder if they’ll do the other Turoks? I have (almost assuredly misaligned) fond memories of Turok: Rage Wars.

• Jalan says:

Like the article mentions, they (at least) plan to restore Seeds of Evil.

6. Stense says:

It actually looks like it has a far higher polygon count than I remember, but my memory places it as being far more abstract and cubic than is perhaps fair.

7. mollemannen says:

not much they could improve here in my opinion. loved these games growing up. the weapons, the animations (especially the death ones) the huge intimidating and secret riddled worlds and oh god the platforming. sure it might lack any depth both gameplay and story wise but i didn’t care. i was busy making soldiers throw nades and kill each other and blowing holes in purr-linns. i could only afford a nintendo 64 when this piece of gory goodness was release so i played the pc versions far later but still, i got severly immersed to the point of fright. anyone remember actually being afraid of certain parts in games when they were younger? like bosses you had to handle the controller over to an older friend to tackle. these whole games were like this to me (i was 9-10). oh and if anyone is wondering: nthgthdgdcrtdtrk or oblivionisathand.

8. Tiger Teeth says:

There’s never really been a “good” Turok game, not by any reasonable objective measure, but man if I don’t just love its ridiculous alien/robot/dinosaur/zombie/bizarre omnicidal monstrosity from beyond time and space mash-up setting. And the silly 90s hypergore guns (CEREBRAL BORE!!!).

And just the sheer size of Turok 2. Too big? Too big?? There is no “too big”. There is only… MORE BIGGERER.

If Night Drive actually manage to produce a modern Turok that manages to capture all of that and be a good game, I think I might love them for that more than I do for rescuing System Shock.

• Sleepymatt says:

“There is no “too big”. There is only… MORE BIGGERER.”

Horace approves of your wisdom.

• haradaya says:

Cerebral bore remains the most gruesome weapon I’ve used in a game.

• laser-gods says:

The phuc you talking about? Turok 2 is a classic.

9. Sgt_Moose says:

This isn’t a remaster. This is an HD re-release. Get it right game developers.

10. EvaUnit02 says:

I know that neither were well received, but I’d like to a PC port of Turok 3 and sprucing up of the PC version of Turok Evolution. A. I never played them. B. To have the whole series readily available of completeness’s sake.

11. deadpan says:

I’m totally ok with Night Dive putting out these little nostalgia trips if it helps fund their hunt for other, better games lost in licensing hell.

12. a very affectionate parrot says:

This is the kind of ‘remaster’ i can get behind.
    Not like that godawful rise of the triad butcher-job, just give me a game that will run in 1080p without any stretching and maybe give me some antialiasing options.

13. Spacewalk says:

What, no ‘Born Turok’ pun in the title?

14. Baron Bacon V says:

Not really that interested in Turok 1 really (might pick up 2 though), but I may buy it anyway just to support Night Dive. If it weren’t for their rereleases of the System Shock titles, I may never have played what is now my all time favorite game: SS2.
    Here’s hoping they sort out that NOLF business!

15. PoulWrist says:

It’s not really a bad thing to not wipe out what games looked and played like in the past.

16. Nintyuk says:

Soo they Half-Life: Source’ed it?