Have You Played… Fast Food Dizzy?

Dizzy is an egg. I had an egg for breakfast this morning. Therefore, Dizzy must be food. In Fast Food Dizzy, he is trying to eat all of the other food. What does it all mean? That the food chain coils back on itself and becomes the oroborous and that we are all somebody’s breakfast in the end.

I loved Fast Food Dizzy. My parents must have thought I was a big fan of eggs because they bought me anything with the sentient cackleberry on the boxart. Either that or the only games available in British gaming stores during the late eighties and early nineties were those made in the vicinity. It’s the only thing that could possibly explain a six year old kid getting a game called Streaker for Christmas.

Tearing the wrapping off a present and finding a Dizzy game inside was a right punch in the gut though. I’d already played through Treasure Island Dizzy when I received Fast Food and it had been an utterly miserably experience. The world was small and the puzzles made no sense to me (I haven’t played it since I was tiny and it’s entirely possible that I was just stupid back then, as all children are). What a relief it was, then, that Fast Food Dizzy was an arcade game and that there wasn’t a single puzzle in sight.

It’s Pac-Man, basically, but Pac-Man with moving food. Fast food, you might say. I liked the level designs though, which were made to look like real places (gardens, malls etc) rather than abstract mazes. OF course, they became abstract mazes in the later levels but for a while at least I could pretend I was an egg chasing food around real world locations. That was fun.

I don’t know if you can or should play Fast Food Dizzy today. You probably can’t. You probably shouldn’t. But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed remembering it and I reckon it’s the secret-best Dizzy game.

haowan says:

Yes, I have played this, I spent a long time on the Amiga version as a child with my sister. We can both recall the music quite vividly. When you complete all the levels you get mirror world, and then reverse controls world, if I recall. There were good sections where you passed under parts of the level into tunnels, making it hard to see enemies. It was fun, and funny, and obviously has the best controls of any Dizzy game, not being a Dizzy platformer. Thanks for the trip back.

2. theapeofnaples says:

Clearly the finest Dizzy game.

• theapeofnaples says:

Also, the music was excellent.

• deiseach says:

Don’t you mean eggsell…agh! *dies*

(This yoke was brought to you courtesy of Amstrad Action c. 1987)

• OmNomNom says:

I’m pretty sure you poached that yolk from somewhere else.

3. bishmanrock says:

Yes! I still have it on a pirated Amiga floppy with three other games, at least one of which didn’t work (CJ’s Elephant Antics, I believe).

This was my fave from memory. Simple but good fun.

4. Simon_Scott says:

Streaker I remember. Such naughty nonsense.

• HopperUK says:

Push off, fatso, this is a respectable establishment!

…I played Streaker a lot as a kid. Never finished it though.

5. maphisto2000 says:

Fast Food, Kwik Snax, Dizzy Down the Rapids – all poor cousins to the core Dizzy franchise. ;)

Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World Dizzy were on permanent rotation on my Spectrum 128k.

Viva La Dizzy Revival!

• polecat says:

Seconded. I loved the adventure / puzzle games on the ZX Spectrum! Add Magicland Dizzy, Spellbound Dizzy and Dizzy:Prince of the Yolkfolk to the list above. They were much better from Fantasy World Dizzy onwards since they looked better, puzzles made more sense and death conditions were less random/harsh.

The main thing I remember about the others is the difficulty always seemed off – I found Kwik Snax really easy but never got more than a few feet Down the Rapids before breaking my little egg head.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep, one of my earliest memories of going “hardcore” on a game was Fantasy World Dizzy as a kid. The goal of saving the princess and collecting all 100 coins took months and probably 100 tries………and I failed at 99 coins on one try! That was it for me, I didn’t have the heart to keep going. I marked it down as complete as I knew where the coin was and my last life was lost due to sheer idiocy.
      Good memories.

As you say though, the spinoffs to the platform/adventure titles, especially the 3 you mention, weren’t a patch on the true Dizzy games. They pumped those things out like crazy so like most popular franchises at the time there are over a dozen games and a lot of them are crap.

6. Blake Casimir says:

My Amstrad CPC copy of Streaker actually had Curse Of Sherwood on it. Part of me was always a little disappointed but the latter actually turned out to be the superior game.

7. Sin Vega says:

Yay, it’s the only good Dizzy game!

8. OmNomNom says:

I used to play this game with my sis, one of my happiest childhood memories :’)

9. jalf says:

Was this a UK phenomenon? I’ve never ever heard of Dizzy, except in occasional mentions by British game journos.

• polecat says:

I’m pretty sure that’s right but more knowledgeable people could tell you why. Lots of people played it on the Spectrum which I think was a pretty UK-focused craze and certainly both that was the achievement of a British eccentric, Clive Sinclair. There’s also quite a lot of British cultural reference in Dizzy, not that that makes it exclusive but it might not have transferred that well Stateside. I think it’s a bit Marmite for Brits too I.e. Love it or hate it

• GallonOfAlan says:

UK and maybe Spain. Anywhere the ZX Spectrum was big, because it was very much a Speccy thing.

10. ansionnach says:

Once watched a school friend play all the way through Dizzy on his C64. Would have loved to have a go seeing as I didn’t have a computer until much later (little did I know, but dad was saving up for a PC). Wasn’t that close a friend and was one of those kids who had loads of toys but wouldn’t share. Anyway… the logic behind the puzzles was beyond me and the jumping was all over the shop.

11. Fnord73 says:

oooh, if were going into SPectrumcountry, has anyone done any retro-writing on Valhalla? Such a confusing game.

12. cheesyboy says:

This was, for me, the runt of the Dizzy litter. Even Dizzy Panic was better.

I gave it some play time, as I got it as part of the Dizzy Collection on C64, but it just didn’t have the magic of the adventure games.

13. jrodman says:

Was there some kind of VAT-precursor that banned export of Dizzy games from the UK? I had a mountain of pirated Amiga games way back when, but never saw this one.

• GallonOfAlan says:

By the time the Miggy arrived Dizzy was old hat. I don’t even remember this one much.